Ground Stop in ATL

Old Jul 6, 16, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Ground Stop in ATL

Waiting to fly into ATL. Flight has boarded and deplaned 2x so far as ATC delays us another hour, every hour, on the hour. Delta's updating its app slowly, so it's tough to get updated info. Unfortunately, the app and website know more than our GA's here in PNS.

Our departing flight out of ATL is also being delayed, but much less than our incoming flight. Going to be a long afternoon with our little one.

Delta protected us on a much later flight out of Atlanta, but Hartsfield is the last place I'd want to spend 6 hours with a 21-month-old.

Good luck to everyone traveling today.

Last edited by aww3583; Jul 6, 16 at 2:16 pm
Old Jul 6, 16, 2:30 pm
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Waiting to fly into ATL. Flight has boarded and deplaned 2x so far as ATC delays us another hour, every hour, on the hour. Delta's updating its app slowly, so it's tough to get updated info. Unfortunately, the app and website know more than our GA's here in PNS.

Our departing flight out of ATL is also being delayed, but much less than our incoming flight. Going to be a long afternoon with our little one.

Delta protected us on a much later flight out of Atlanta, but Hartsfield is the last place I'd want to spend 6 hours with a 21-month-old.

Good luck to everyone traveling today.
Just another day at ATL during the summer, unfortunately. ORD, DFW, and IAH can be even worse, and DL is MUCH better at IRROPS recovery than AA or UA (I know that doesn't help much haha).

Do you have some form of lounge access? The SCs will usually stay open a bit later if there are major delays. There's also the Minute Suites in B, but they are probably booked up by now.
Old Jul 6, 16, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads View Post

Do you have some form of lounge access? The SCs will usually stay open a bit later if there are major delays. There's also the Minute Suites in B, but they are probably booked up by now.
It sounds like OP is in PNS waiting to fly to/through ATL, so unlikely?
Old Jul 6, 16, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS MVPG
Sounds like a repeat of yesterday; ATL was closed for ~1 hour in mid-afternoon, and really destroyed many people's travel plans, as it lead to many missed connections for the early evening international bank.
Old Jul 6, 16, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
It sounds like OP is in PNS waiting to fly to/through ATL, so unlikely?
Yep. Sitting on the Tarmac in PNS.

Rushed to board at 2:30pm. Taxied til 2:35pm. Pilot came on and said ATC delay until 320pm.

3:10pm were making our way back to the gate because some people want off.
Old Jul 6, 16, 6:47 pm

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Yep. Sitting on the Tarmac in PNS.

Rushed to board at 2:30pm. Taxied til 2:35pm. Pilot came on and said ATC delay until 320pm.

3:10pm were making our way back to the gate because some people want off.
Well, that sucks. Are you on Flight 1270, which was supposed to depart at 2:27? Delta's website is showing it with an estimated 6:56 PM departure and 9:00 PM ATL arrival. (The website also shows that the ATL to PNS leg, scheduled for a 1:25 PM departure, didn't actually get out of ATL until 5:06 PM.)

Even worse for OP, flight 1814, the 4:21 PM PNS departure, left at 4:26 PM and got into ATL at 7:11 PM.

Atlanta had a nasty round of thunderstorms come thru at about noon today, followed by another round that started at about 4:30 PM and is starting to wind down now at 7:45.... to me, it looks like 1270 got caught by both storms while 1814 missed both.
Old Jul 6, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Godspeed to anybody trying to go through ATL today/tonight. As RBOAT said, ground stop around noon today, looks like another stop/delay in place now. In midtown it's just starting to clear after being hammered. Yesterday, crews ended up all over the place, and some timed out, which impacted today's operation. Same situation will likely roll to tomorrow w crews from tonight.
Old Jul 6, 16, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

OP here. We survived.

We went from A26 to T6 in 9 minutes with an infant. They were holding our connecting flight for us.

Lots of horror stories from fellow passengers. Apparently there were tornado warnings at ATL.
Old Jul 7, 16, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Somehow I got lucky yesterday. Took off from RDU @ 2p and my connecting flight (on a CRJ no less) was somehow also ontime.

After about 1:30 the storms had pushed to the East and South of ATL. That's what the OP encountered. The SE arrival "gate" was closed for a while, because there were "no routes". When that happens, you can count on a long day. For most major airports, ATC only accepts approved routes. In the case of FL almost all the traffic goes over one gate. If that gate is closed, then they have to find and publish another route (see below) that airlines can use. Then the airline has to refile their flight plan over the alternate route, which often results in a higher fuel burn, so more fuel may be needed. This process takes a lot of time (or at least it did back in the early 2000s).

If you look at the last advisory, they were rerouting some ZJX/ZMA arrivals over Crestview, FL, then MGM. Then they'd go over the SW arrival gate for the WARRR1 (Warrior 1) arrival. The others were being routed over SPA (Spartanburg, SC) for the NE arrival gate joining the DIRTY3 arrival.

Note: ZJX and ZMA are Jacksonville and Miami centers. PNS is in ZJX.

CTL ELEMENT: ATL
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1801Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 06/1751Z - 06/1900Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 06/1742Z - 06/2259Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZJX ZMA
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 1464 / 118 / 46
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 2789 / 163 / 87
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS
COMMENTS: ZJX AND ZMA GS, AWAITING ROUTES TO ATL.

One of the many published reroutes yesterday:

NAME: FLA_TO_ATL
CONSTRAINED AREA: ZTL
REASON: WEATHER
INCLUDE TRAFFIC: AGS/CAE/CHS/FLO/SAV/ZJX/ZMA DEPARTURES TO ATL
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ZJX/ZMA/ZTL
FLIGHT STATUS: ALL_FLIGHTS
VALID: ETD 061849 TO 062300
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MODERATE
REMARKS:
ASSOCIATED RESTRICTIONS: PASSED VIA NTML
MODIFICATIONS:
ROUTES:

ORIG DEST ROUTE
---- ---- -----
ZMA ATL >LAL SZW J2 CEW MGM< WARRR1
ZJX(-SAV -CHS -CAE ATL >CEW MGM< WARRR1
-FLO)
SAV CHS CAE FLO ATL >SPA< DIRTY3

Last edited by HDQDD; Jul 7, 16 at 7:05 am
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
There was a second ground stop right around the time my ATL-PBI flight was due to take off. Sat on the tarmac for about an hour before leaving. Got in to ATL about 2:15 late (flight 2564).

Was supposed to go to SJC but that flight (and the last one of the day) actually left on time. Currently typing from my room at the Hilton. Going to head back home today since I couldn't get to the 9am appointment in San Jose in time.
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Impossible to do all the time but I always try and plan through
DTW/MSP in summer and ATL in winter. Mother nature sure can be a beeaaattch
Old Jul 7, 16, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Somehow I got lucky yesterday. Took off from RDU @ 2p and my connecting flight (on a CRJ no less) was somehow also ontime.

After about 1:30 the storms had pushed to the East and South of ATL. That's what the OP encountered. The SE arrival "gate" was closed for a while, because there were "no routes". When that happens, you can count on a long day. For most major airports, ATC only accepts approved routes. In the case of FL almost all the traffic goes over one gate. If that gate is closed, then they have to find and publish another route (see below) that airlines can use. Then the airline has to refile their flight plan over the alternate route, which often results in a higher fuel burn, so more fuel may be needed. This process takes a lot of time (or at least it did back in the early 2000s).

If you look at the last advisory, they were rerouting some ZJX/ZMA arrivals over Crestview, FL, then MGM. Then they'd go over the SW arrival gate for the WARRR1 (Warrior 1) arrival. The others were being routed over SPA (Spartanburg, SC) for the NE arrival gate joining the DIRTY3 arrival.

Note: ZJX and ZMA are Jacksonville and Miami centers. PNS is in ZJX.

CTL ELEMENT: ATL
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1801Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 06/1751Z - 06/1900Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 06/1742Z - 06/2259Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZJX ZMA
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 1464 / 118 / 46
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 2789 / 163 / 87
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS
COMMENTS: ZJX AND ZMA GS, AWAITING ROUTES TO ATL.

One of the many published reroutes yesterday:

NAME: FLA_TO_ATL
CONSTRAINED AREA: ZTL
REASON: WEATHER
INCLUDE TRAFFIC: AGS/CAE/CHS/FLO/SAV/ZJX/ZMA DEPARTURES TO ATL
FACILITIES INCLUDED: ZJX/ZMA/ZTL
FLIGHT STATUS: ALL_FLIGHTS
VALID: ETD 061849 TO 062300
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MODERATE
REMARKS:
ASSOCIATED RESTRICTIONS: PASSED VIA NTML
MODIFICATIONS:
ROUTES:

ORIG DEST ROUTE
---- ---- -----
ZMA ATL >LAL SZW J2 CEW MGM< WARRR1
ZJX(-SAV -CHS -CAE ATL >CEW MGM< WARRR1
-FLO)
SAV CHS CAE FLO ATL >SPA< DIRTY3
Interesting info! Thanks for posting that.

The ripple effect was ugly. Our bag missed the connection, understandably. They were expedited onto the later ATL-FNT flight which was then delayed until 11pm.

Family behind us was supposed to go LIT-ATL-DTW-MBS. They ended up doing LIT-BHM(divert for fuel)-ATL-FNT. They started their day at 4am and didn't get to FNT until 8pm and had an hour drive after that.

To Delta's credit, the snack carts were out in full force. They were doing the best they could and it showed.
Old Jul 7, 16, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
PBI is my home airport and living here means you almost always connect through ATL.
No flights to MSP and only 1 convenient one to DTW. LGA isn't really an option.

Definitely brutal in the Summer at times but I have had mostly good luck.
Old Jul 7, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
Actually, DTW and MSP are just as bad when impacted by TS (and these days they're just as likely up there as ATL). Unfortunately, when most people book flights they have no idea what the weather will be like on their date of departure.
Old Jul 7, 16, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Actually, DTW and MSP are just as bad when impacted by TS (and these days they're just as likely up there as ATL).
Interesting - I have lived in the USA for 16 years and I never realized that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: