Ground Stop in ATL

Old Jul 7, 16, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
Impossible to do all the time but I always try and plan through
DTW/MSP in summer and ATL in winter. Mother nature sure can be a beeaaattch
+ a lot (although ATL certainly isn't immune to winter nastiness such as ice storms)

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Actually, DTW and MSP are just as bad when impacted by TS (and these days they're just as likely up there as ATL).
Interesting - I have lived in the USA for 16 years and I never realized that.

bad experience a few years ago, going DCA-DTW-SLC-PSP ... early morning t-storms caused ATC to ground-stop all inbound flights; we landed on 3R (the easternmost runway) with about 15 min to spare, but had to taxi all the way back around the south end of the A concourse and all the way back up the other side to park at A70 ... SLC pushed from A72 as the door was opening

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 7, 16 at 9:49 am
Old Jul 7, 16, 9:55 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Actually, DTW and MSP are just as bad when impacted by TS (and these days they're just as likely up there as ATL). Unfortunately, when most people book flights they have no idea what the weather will be like on their date of departure.
With fewer flights, DTW/MSP generally recover more quickly from TS events than ATL. At any rate, DTW has been pretty dry this summer (lots of brown grass here). Most of the recent TS activity seems to bypass us and hit other areas of the state. There was a pretty nasty cell on radar over Canada/Lake Erie last evening -- you could see the cloud formations in the distance. But it never impacted the DTW area.

Last edited by LBJ; Jul 7, 16 at 11:02 am
Old Jul 7, 16, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
With fewer flights, DTW/MSP generally recover more quickly from TS events than ATL.
I would argue that makes recovery (from a pax perspective) worse, since there are less flight options to most cities. In some cases (Southeast for one) ATL has ~3x as many flights to some cities than DTW or MSP.

As a DM, I usually find that if I miss my connection in ATL, I can usually get IROPed on another flight within 1-2 hours.

Additionally, ATL has five parallel runways (triple simultaneous IMC arrivals). With perfect conditions they can accept 132 arrivals/hour. Even in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC), they can handle 104-110 arrivals. MSP maxes at 75 (IMC: 48) and DTW at 112 (IMC: 72). This becomes important during "diversion recoveries".

Thunderstorms at the field will screw up any hub operation and likely have effects for many hours after the event. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with DTWs weather, but when I lived in Chicago a few years ago, summer storms were just as prevalent there as ATL (perhaps even more so).
Old Jul 7, 16, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Interesting - I have lived in the USA for 16 years and I never realized that.

Personally, I think it has to do with global warming/climate change. But no, I cannot prove it! Heat causes convection which causes TS. 20 years ago, it seems like it was a somewhat rare event in the Northern states to have a nasty TS in the summer. These days it seems like many of the TS lines push further North. Much of the South is still under drought conditions including ATL (Severe to Moderate).
Old Jul 7, 16, 11:44 am

All this talk makes me nervous. I have a domestic to international connection in ATL coming up in a few weeks and rather optimistically booked it to arrive at 4:53pm for a 7:10pm departure. I surely would not want to miss my seat on that once-daily ATL-MAN flight!

Methinks changing to an earlier arrival in ATL would be prudent...

[EDIT]Actually methinks a charge of nearly $500 for change fees and fare differences makes it a moot question, yikes.

[FINAL EDIT]On the plus side, this being Saturday night and all, a few minutes ago Delta gave me 20 minutes more breathing room by rescheduling my CAE-ATL flight slightly earlier. Of course that might change again next Saturday and the Saturday after that!

Last edited by BrentHutto; Jul 9, 16 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 7, 16, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by BrentHutto View Post
All this talk makes me nervous.
Not to fear... alternate transportation to MAN is available....

PS - don't let the agent gate check your carry-on
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
All this talk makes me nervous. I have a domestic to international connection in ATL coming up in a few weeks and rather optimistically booked it to arrive at 4:53pm for a 7:10pm departure. I surely would not want to miss my seat on that once-daily ATL-MAN flight!

[EDIT]Actually methinks a charge of nearly $500 for change fees and fare differences makes it a moot question, yikes.
that's because you're way too early to be nervous ... check the ATL forecast the day before travel; if it looks grim, DL may be a bit more accommodating in order to proactively reduce the number of potentially affected pax
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,

Done this for years - no worries - there are a few back ups available if you misconnect. I can help if required.
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
2 later flights via AMS and one via CDG
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:38 pm

Can you tell I don't travel as much as a lot of people?

I literally never realized or even thought about the fact that there are flights between ATL and MAN that aren't direct! I've made that trip four or five times and never had a problem but in the back of my mind I'd always figured I was out of luck if anything went wrong on the connection.

What a silly goose I am.
Old Jul 8, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
that's because you're way too early to be nervous ... check the ATL forecast the day before travel; if it looks grim, DL may be a bit more accommodating in order to proactively reduce the number of potentially affected pax
I know DL offered a waiver for the Northeast t-storms last week; do they ever do that for ATL? I've seen it in the winter for snow/ice but never for summer storms which can, to a certain degree, be predicted.
Old Jul 8, 16, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
What a silly goose I am.
Why's it gotta be a goose that's the silly animal?
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:54 pm

Why of course not all geese are silly. What I meant to say "As geese go, I surely am the rare silly goose among them". How careless of me.
Old Jul 8, 16, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Why of course not all geese are silly. What I meant to say "As geese go, I surely am the rare silly goose among them". How careless of me.
^

Happy weekend!
Old Aug 30, 16, 6:43 am

Well today's the day and it looks like that most rare of August days. A literally 0% forecast chance of rain in Atlanta. That makes me much more sanguine about my 2 hour, 40 minute connection time for a 7:10pm TATL departure.

My local airport does have a moderate chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms as typical this time of year. But I think worst case a delay of an hour or so departing on the short hop over to Atlanta would not be a trip-killer.

It's the stormy days in Atlanta that snarl things up, right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: