Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I give up.

The irony that I am *clearly* doing a poor job expressing is that
  • They looked at my driver's license (which is a small card that would fit neatly inside of an envelope) to get my address
  • They wrote that address onto a postcard, along with a note that they had my driver's license
  • They mailed that postcard to me, with a request that I *call* them
  • When I call them, they say "We can just drop that in an envelope and mail it to you - no charge!"
I vote for SOP. Find article, can identify, send postcard, wait for reply. No decision, no interpretation, consistent management of process.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, because you keep saying we aren't understanding why you're mad. We do understand.

Show me where I once said that I was mad. I get that you're a contrarian, but don't put words in my mouth. And unless you convened a meeting, you probably aren't qualified to use the word "we" in that sentence. So if you're going to be rude, man up and speak for yourself.
FTer is from MEM so maybe it is like:

Ya'all can mean 1 person or a group of Ya'alls?

OK reaching here and I am sure MODS are going to dump most of this from you two but it was classic FT either way!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Show me where I once said that I was mad. I get that you're a contrarian, but don't put words in my mouth. And unless you convened a meeting, you probably aren't qualified to use the word "we" in that sentence. So if you're going to be rude, man up and speak for yourself.
I mean, yes, you didn't use the word "mad" verbatim, OK.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
you certainly SEEM mad, at least now, though.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:36 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I vote for SOP. Find article, can identify, send postcard, wait for reply. No decision, no interpretation, consistent management of process.
I agree. I think the postcard is a good way to establish contact and from there the owner can work with Delta for the best return method, whether that's an in-person pickup, sending to an alternate destination, or destruction.

I kind of get how it could be ironic considering that the license could have been sent in the first place, but I think the good SOP makes more sense, regardless of the mailability of the item. Honestly OP did come across, at least to me, as annoyed or perhaps mad that it wasn't sent directly.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
you certainly SEEM mad, at least now, though.
No, I think I figured out what happened. You see, I posted a random and pathetic complaint about losing my driver's license, and how illogical the response was, in a thread called "What's the most random and pathetic thing you can complain about?"

But it looks like it somehow got crossposted to "Please make up a Random and unlikely alternate explanation - and man-splain it to me in the most condescending manner possible".

So, totally not your fault.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Had to fly SLC>PDX>SEA last week, and managed to lose my driver's license somewhere between the SLC PreCheck line and the SeaTac car rental center. (huge pain in the butt, by the way)

Got a postcard in the mail (at home) on Saturday from the Lost & Found dept at SLC letting me know that my license had been turned in, and asking me to call them to "claim my property".

Since I don't have any travel through SLC scheduled for at least a couple of weeks, I called them. They said that they would be happy to send it via USPS at no charge.

If they're going to send it through the mail, why didn't they save themselves the cost of a postcard and postage, and just go ahead and mail the stupid thing to me??? They would have saved money, and I could have maybe saved the time and expense of getting a replacement.
This makes sense to me. Either you receive the card and call them or you wonder where your license is and wonder if airport has it and call them. If the latter, it would be bad if they had to say then sent it to some old address you no longer use. But if they say they just sent a card but still have your license, you're golden!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Neither of these scenarios provide an advantage that a postcard would enjoy which wouldn't also apply to a first class envelope (with a driver's license inside).

I am not clear on what this has to do with anything. In my case, what I lost was just my driver's license. I am assuming (though I don't know for sure) that it fell out of my pocket somewhere after the PreCheck ID checker guy. It was turned in to the airport's lost and found. The airport mailed me a postcard. I am pretty sure that if I lost a bag at the airport, and it was turned into lost & found, they would still mail me a postcard
Of course an envelope would suffice ... both it and the postcard are first class. But that also brings about liability if something valuable (license) is mailed without authorization.

As to that which seems to have nothing to do with anything ... it addresses the more general case wherein something (of whatever value) which seems significant could result in a phone call to a hotel to inform of an item's location and what the owner would like to do. It just opens up greater possibilities for recovery.

And, in fact, worked exactly like that for me when MX delayed a bag and called my first hotel to get authorization to send it there. They did but ... alas, after we had departed. It was returned to MX and the contacted another hotel, an Intercon, where I would be a week later. Bottom line was I got the bag upon arrival at the Intercon ... all thanks to providing that itinerary. Others have posted similar stories.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Originally Posted by C W
I agree. I think the postcard is a good way to establish contact and from there the owner can work with Delta for the best return method, whether that's an in-person pickup, sending to an alternate destination, or destruction.

I kind of get how it could be ironic considering that the license could have been sent in the first place, but I think the good SOP makes more sense, regardless of the mailability of the item. Honestly OP did come across, at least to me, as annoyed or perhaps mad that it wasn't sent directly.
+2

I totally got the irony of what happened and Qwkynuf's intent in posting (and, unless I'm wrong, the decision to post it in this thread because of its hilarity).

But since the discussion then turned to *why* the airport would have chosen to do that, I was just pontificating that perhaps there is actually a good explanation for why the airport sent a postcard. That's all.

Originally Posted by Renes Points
OT, but there is no such word as "ya'all" so this is completely meaningless. And anyone who regularly uses the word "y'all" knows exactly how it can and cannot be used and with what meaning.

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Had a look at the DL second quarter promo, my hotel point balances, and discovered I'm at 3975 Accor points I probably won't use before they expire. Which makes me 25 points short of being able to do a manual push of them to Delta and have them net me 3000 miles (current 'new partner' bonus offer) instead of the usual 2000 miles for that exchange rate.

Okay, over to SSI/Club Opinions to do a market research survey that credits instantly to my Accor account about 97% of the time. Except today, it's not posting instantly (I get it- part of Accor's charm is a bit of randomness thrown into the works) , and now I'm stuck hoping the needed survey posts by tomorrow afternoon so I can do the swap before the promotion ends tomorrow.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Two flights scheduled 3 minutes apart from SLC gates D9 and D11, where the doors are squished next to each other in the corner such that they share a common Sky Priority lane. This is going to be a cluster.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Two flights scheduled 3 minutes apart from SLC gates D9 and D11, where the doors are squished next to each other in the corner such that they share a common Sky Priority lane. This is going to be a cluster.
I've done that before. Four gates on the end of D. Four A320s boarding all at once, one going to MCO, so you know things are going to be FUBAR.

SLC desperately needs that new terminal.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WWads
I've done that before. Four gates on the end of D. Four A320s boarding all at once, one going to MCO, so you know things are going to be FUBAR.
it's even worse with a couple of 757s or 739s in the mix
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by Renes Points
FTer is from MEM so maybe it is like:

Y'all.

Neither of these scenarios provide an advantage that a postcard would enjoy which wouldn't also apply to a first class envelope (with a driver's license inside).
Untrue. My Drivers License has my parents address listed as a permanent address, Same one used for my DL FFN, however, I live in a rental home ~35 minutes away. If a postcard is sent, I could easily call, verify all information and ask that it be sent to my rental house.

Also note, this could be the case for a student in college who has an out of state ID, but is travelling to their respective university. Sending to home address helps, but sending post card, calling, and having sent to university alleviates a step. Examples of how this could be SOP and a good thing.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Y'all.

Untrue. My Drivers License has my parents address listed as a permanent address, Same one used for my DL FFN, however, I live in a rental home ~35 minutes away. If a postcard is sent, I could easily call, verify all information and ask that it be sent to my rental house.

Also note, this could be the case for a student in college who has an out of state ID, but is travelling to their respective university. Sending to home address helps, but sending post card, calling, and having sent to university alleviates a step. Examples of how this could be SOP and a good thing.
Don't forget about people in the military who may be deployed or based elsewhere than their ID says.

One standard SOP of sending a post card is probably much better in the long run than the person at lost and found trying to play detective about if that person still lives there or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.