Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I got an email from Delta yesterday with my January SkyMiles summary. Apparently I earned 100 miles, but I have no idea from what.

-J.
My email says that I earned over 81,000 miles in January and I don't see how that's possible.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kale73
I’ve noticed that the flight deck crew on many U.S. airlines tend to address the passengers as “folks” during PA announcements. Even the circus ringmaster knows the correct form of address for a collection of strangers is “ladies and gentlemen”. “Folks” always makes me wonder if I somehow booked a flight on Hee Haw Airlines (callsign HAYSEED). This unwelcome familiarity is occasionally even seen on FlyerTalk.
I had a pilot say "whoa!" upon landing a DL A330 in EZE. I get that Argentina is cattle country, but AFAIK there haven't been problems with animal incursions onto the runway, although maybe we should ask HIDDY about this, despite the fact that his cattle live quite far (I think) from Buenos Aires. Also, isn't whoa what one would say to a horse rather than a cow. I guess we could consult with Gaucho1K about such details regarding the local industry. MOO! <yay COW DO>
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I’ve noticed that the flight deck crew on many U.S. airlines tend to address the passengers as “folks” during PA announcements. Even the circus ringmaster knows the correct form of address for a collection of strangers is “ladies and gentlemen”. “Folks” always makes me wonder if I somehow booked a flight on Hee Haw Airlines (callsign HAYSEED). This unwelcome familiarity is occasionally even seen on FlyerTalk.
I gather Delta is no longer the Yee to your Haw

-J.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
"folks" is a more inclusive term than "ladies and gentlemen," which assumes a gender binary that not every passenger may identify with.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LizGross144
"folks" is a more inclusive term than "ladies and gentlemen," which assumes a gender binary that not every passenger may identify with.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That sign is merely there to advocate against marriage between a woman, a man and a toilet.
gooselee, cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:19 am

On the flip side, what's the most random thing I can praise?

The floor pedal that lets you flush the toilets on the 777.
cmd320, Zorak and pdxkat like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by LizGross144
There we have it folks, the word "folks" is both too conservative (red-neck) and liberal ("progressive") to be used on an airplane. Therefore, it must be the perfect choice. The internet has solved yet another one of the world's pressing problems today.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:26 am

who said it was "too liberal"?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I reflexively cringe at 'Well, folks' not for any sort of etiquette reason but because about 80% of the time, the pilot is about to tell me something I don't want to hear about my travel day. I mean, how often does 'Well, folks' lead to a good thing happening on a plane?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I reflexively cringe at 'Well, folks' not for any sort of etiquette reason but because about 80% of the time, the pilot is about to tell me something I don't want to hear about my travel day. I mean, how often does 'Well, folks' lead to a good thing happening on a plane?
nailed it
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this is worth its own thread?
AeRoSpaceman and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The pilot equivalent of "We need to talk." It's never "because we won the lottery!!!!"
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Gig103
The pilot equivalent of "We need to talk." It's never "because we won the lottery!!!!"
I have *one* positive story where we were stuck in a huuuuge line for takeoff at ATL and then the pilot came on the PA to say they'd gotten a new routing, as a result of which we got to cut like 10 spots in line.

But just the one.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
I have *one* positive story where we were stuck in a huuuuge line for takeoff at ATL and then the pilot came on the PA to say they'd gotten a new routing, as a result of which we got to cut like 10 spots in line.

But just the one.
But did he call you Folks while imparting the good news?
Zorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.