FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1775843-what-do-yall-do-living-requires-so-much-travel.html)

dgtsf Jul 2, 2016 6:40 pm

What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel?

So I travel 3-6 times a month. Not much, in my book. A small fraction of what I did way back in the day. I was trying to explain recently to my wife -- who thinks I travel an enormous amount / waaay too much (though admittedly we do have a 3 year old, which is awfully hard work) -- that there are people who fly exponentially more than I do. In fact, there are quite a few PMs and DMs who rake in a lot more than the 90,000 MQMs I've accrued so far this year.

She almost couldn't believe there are people who need to travel for work that much, except those in sales. (She, by comparison, hasn't had a work-mandated flight for several years).

So throwing this out there to spark her curiosity and, maybe, prove just a little bit I'm not flying excessively...relatively speaking ;-)

So have at it folks. What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel?

I'll start...(1) public policy, and (2) military (Reservist, frequently on orders)

dt

flyerCO Jul 2, 2016 7:47 pm

If I say then I'll have to strangle anyone who sees the post, and that could take awhile.

In all seriousness though I handle IS Projects of various size witin airports/aviation related companies.

Also help out family business by piloting a non-scheduled flight when needed.

mthake Jul 2, 2016 7:53 pm

I am a Real Estate Project Manager.

I currently have 17 active projects ongoing throughout 7 states, nationwide.

My frequent statement "I travel weekly. I'm not gone all week, but I travel every week"

Typically, I'm out for 3 days a week.

kettle1 Jul 2, 2016 7:59 pm

I own a business with locations around the mainland USA, Hawaii, Thailand and Taiwan.

I travel to keep my staff on their toes. :rolleyes:

I also love to travel, so I guess that is my excuse. ;)

Doc Savage Jul 2, 2016 8:03 pm

My company pays me to fly all around the world and fire people.

TommyD2 Jul 2, 2016 8:04 pm

Presales/sales engineer.

I don't travel as much as the uber-DMs on here, but I'm at roughly 110k MQMs (40k rollover) and something like 80 segments (mostly on DL).

90% this year so far from MKE to cities east of the Mississippi.

Tibs Jul 2, 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 26863108)

Hit 11 million yet? ;)

EditingFX Jul 2, 2016 8:09 pm

Video production/post.

And staying one step ahead of Doc.

PayItForward Jul 2, 2016 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 26863108)

Are you also doing motivational speeches on the side?
Sorry, can't help it... :D

suvayanr Jul 2, 2016 8:25 pm

Our company has a big face to face culture so I end up traveling to our locations all across the US

But I work for a top 10 US bank

jackplum Jul 2, 2016 8:27 pm

I get bored so I fly places to cure it. Other than that, I don't do much.

angra Jul 2, 2016 8:33 pm

I was doing computer science research until fairly recently. Lots of trips to DC to see customers, and west coast to work with collaborators.

Now I just travel a lot because I want to and have the time!

skchin Jul 2, 2016 9:17 pm

Just for hobby.

Profchemnerd Jul 2, 2016 9:23 pm

Chemistry professor. I travel to present seminars on my research and attend conferences. I hang in at the PM/DM border, but some of my colleagues log 200k or more per year.

yohanson Jul 2, 2016 10:08 pm

I can't explain what my job is to people let alone the fact that I travel all the time to do it.