Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel?

What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel?

Old Jul 3, 16, 2:31 pm

I work in Travel and Tourism and doing research so I travel a lot. Its an excuse to leave my comfort zone. Plus with the deals I try and partake in as many trips as possible. I try to average two to three international trips a year plus Domestic trips to places like Sedona, Santa Fe, Los Angeles and to Lake Tahoe. I am not much for roadtrips as I feel it takes way too much time, `you stay in motels and then you are cramped in the car. I would much rather take a 15 hour fight than a 10 hour car ride.

Flying has always been my passion the longer the flight the better. I feel so fortunate to be able to travel as much as I do.
Old Jul 3, 16, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National EE
IT Consultant - Travel about once a week. Wish I traveled more
Old Jul 3, 16, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgtsf View Post
How in the heck did you pull that off?! Run the company? Own it? What kind of company pays the travel bills for the whole family?!
Awesome deal.
One where you are literally not able to leave the remote work site between vacations. We all get the same deal. The deal is 2 x business class tickets to point of hire per year per family member. However, it's just money in a travel agent's account and we are free to use it to travel as we see fit. We (my family) choose only to go home once a year and see the world on the other half.
Old Jul 3, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I'm a full-time freelance Technical Director in television broadcasting, primarily live sports. Among some of the managerial and troubleshooting responsibilities while on site, my biggest role is to composite the show visually. I'm the person that presses the button when the director says "take".
Old Jul 3, 16, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
I'm an English professor. I am just finishing up a book called 'The Importance of Elsewhere: The Globalist Humanist Tourist.' I am a globalist humanist tourist.
Old Jul 3, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
Work in isolated camp overseas and whole family travels for vacation about every 2 months or so on the company dime. Nice gig.
Originally Posted by dgtsf View Post
How in the heck did you pull that off?! Run the company? Own it? What kind of company pays the travel bills for the whole family?!

Awesome deal.
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
One where you are literally not able to leave the remote work site between vacations. We all get the same deal. The deal is 2 x business class tickets to point of hire per year per family member. However, it's just money in a travel agent's account and we are free to use it to travel as we see fit. We (my family) choose only to go home once a year and see the world on the other half.
I spent many of my growing up years in an oil camp in the jungles of Sumatra. We got one two-week local leave a year (frequently spent in Singapore) and a 3.5-month home leave every two years, with tickets back to the US routed as we chose. The company flew us in business, or its early 1950s equivalent) until the advent of commercial jets, when we were relegated to economy class.

Back on topic: That childhood left me with a life-long love of travel. Now retired, each year I usually make one trip to SE Asia and a couple of trips to Europe (including a long distance [~100 miles] walk in England) plus some domestic travel. With creative routings I can earn just enough MQM for PM, using the AmEx waiver for the MQD.
Old Jul 3, 16, 5:01 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Work at a Paris based subsidiary of a Seattle area employer. Fly back for 3-4 days every 2-3 months to sync up on various projects and meet folks - although lately the frequency has been a little too high for my liking - 4 trips in the last 5 months. I don't like being away from the family - have been gone 15 days so far this year.

Add in personal travel with the family twice a year back to the US, plus the occasional weekend excursion in Europe, and it is easy to hit DM.

I fly Delta nowhere near as frequently as many others here, as almost everything is longhaul. Of my last 20 trips on DL, my shortest flight was LAX-SEA. My next shortest DL flight was SEA-LHR.
Old Jul 3, 16, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
I work for a medical device company doing clinical trials. I travel about 200k miles a year, mostly US/CAN/EU. I too have little kids at home but I have organized things by having an excellent nanny on staff who keeps the house running like I do so that my husband doesn't grumble too much.
Old Jul 3, 16, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Work for an insurance company, speaking to customer/industry groups. I'm usually only in a city for one night/day, flying to another city for the next day, when traveling. My travel is down this year, as we move to more Webinars.
Old Jul 3, 16, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1.9MM
I am an astrophysicist and I work in a number of European and international projects. Plus I have quite a lot of conference travel to present the results of my research group to the scientific community.
Old Jul 3, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Work in radiation therapy. this much travel is very unusual for my position in the industry. Where most people who cover multiple clinics would be traveling a few hundred miles at most, my clinics are 1,500 miles apart and I have to physically appear in both twice a month.
Old Jul 3, 16, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
You can accomplish a lot with videoconferences etc, but when someone is preparing to make a huge financial investment in your products or services, the in-person contact is essential.
Old Jul 3, 16, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
Oil and gas industry. Work for a French company. I fly every 4 weeks to or from work. 1 month on, 1 month off.

All long haul. Africa, India, Singapore, China for example.
Old Jul 3, 16, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM / Hilton Diamond
Professional classical musician - On the road 200 - 250 days each year touring with a group I co-own and doing solo engagements / teaching residencies with various orchestras and music schools around the world.
Old Jul 3, 16, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Advertising....thus solving all the worlds problems

Search this Thread
Search Engine: