Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Delayed Flight and Missed Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

LAX-SLC was delayed and I missed my connecting SLC-IAH. This was the last flight. I was booked for the first flight the following day. I was told that there was a convention in the city and no hotel rooms were available. I was given a $100 TCV.

I landed up staying at the airport for more than 12 hours at night. I also missed my business meeting in morning at IAH as my new SLC-IAH flight arrived after 1PM.

Are there any DOT guidelines for compensation by airlines in such case of delay and resulting inconvenience?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by BDQBDQ
LAX-SLC was delayed and I missed my connecting SLC-IAH. This was the last flight. I was booked for the first flight the following day. I was told that there was a convention in the city and no hotel rooms were available. I was given a $100 TCV.

I landed up staying at the airport for more than 12 hours at night. I also missed my business meeting in morning at IAH as my new SLC-IAH flight arrived after 1PM.

Are there any DOT guidelines for compensation by airlines in such case of delay and resulting inconvenience?
Depends on the reason for the delay. If weather or ATC - no way.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Declare trip in vain and go home?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Depends on the reason for the delay. If weather or ATC - no way.
In terms of the DOT rules, it doesn't really matter. There simply are no requirements or guidelines regardless of the reason for the delay. The following is direct from DOT.

"Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers waiting at the airport; there are no federal requirements. If you are delayed, ask the airline staff if it will pay for meals or a phone call. Some airlines, often those charging very low fares, do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers. Others may not offer amenities if the delay is caused by bad weather or something else beyond the airline's control. Contrary to popular belief, airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, give a speech or lecture, attend a family function, or connect to a cruise, you might want to allow a little extra leeway and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations aren't unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration."

Each airline covers what they will provide during delays in their Contract of Carriage. Here is DL's domestic CoC. Basically, they don't obligate themselves to provide you with anything unless the delay is their fault (does not involve "force majeure"). And even then, they only obligate themselves to provide you with a hotel room. Note the following -- " If accommodations are not available, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher that may be applied to future travel on Delta equal in value to the contracted hotel rate, up to $100 USD."

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...rriage_dom.pdf

As previous poster indicated, if the delay is greater than 90 minutes (regardless of reason), you can request they return you to your point of origin and refund your ticket (otherwise known as "trip-in-vain"). However, if you decide to continue your trip, you are not due a refund.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 28, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Unfortunately as has been stated above there's really nothing that they have to do for you. Depending on how you paid for the ticket you may be able to get some compensation back from your credit card. Here's a good article on claiming the trip delay/cancellation protection coverage that many credit cards offer.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:02 am

I buy annual travel insurance for situations like these. They too do not give a blank check but it helps defray the costs and anxiety. Throw in some elite status at airlines and hotels, impact from most hiccups are moderated. But there will always be exceptional situations and I also know while insurance can be bought, status generally has to be earned the hard way and hence not necessarily achievable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.