Use SkyMiles to Upgrade on CI?

Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Use SkyMiles to Upgrade on CI?

Is it possible to use upgrade using SkyMiles on CI? If so what are the applicable fare classes?

The SkyTeam page on upgrade awards that most link to is no longer there and their FAQ section does not say anything of real use. Delta's site seems to imply that you can only do this on AF/KL. I've been scouring the forums here but I haven't been able to find an up to date answer to this question.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go to the SkyTeam website and look for information on the SkyTeam upgrade awards programs. Not all carriers participate, but if they do, it generally requires a FULL Y fare and low business class award inventory. There are a lot of technical rules about codeshares, ticket stock, etc. This is a totally different program from the way upgrades on AF/KLM are handled.

Note that you cannot upgrade to first class using DL miles.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The skyteam site doesn't have any info about the ST Upgrade program any more. It just says to refer to your own frequent flyer program for information about redeeming miles.

Seems it may not be there any more, perhaps due to difficult restrictions and likely low usage. Previously it used to require an unrestricted full fare coach ticket such as Y.

In fact looking at the CI website, it appears they no longer participate in this:
https://www.china-airlines.com/nl/en...awards-skyteam
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
That looks like the case, thanks.

Due to system restriction, on/after March 19, 2016, SkyTeam Upgrade Award service is suspended. (Below notes are still valid for passengers who have already redeemed Skyteam Upgrade Awards before March 18, 2016)
The SkyTeam site must be outdated as they still list CI as participating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.