Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Other passenger moved my carryon bag after it was stowed!!

Old Jun 22, 16, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.

In all my years of traveling, I have never experienced this situation and want to see how you would have reacted.

I was seated in 1B in the B767-300ER transcon flight from SFO-JFK yesterday. I was probably the fifth or sixth person to board and because my carryon bag could not fit in the small overhead space above my seat, I stowed it above 1A.

Upon deplaning, after I opened the overhead compartment above 1A, I noticed the passenger seated in 1A remove his carryon bag. I was puzzled and dumbfounded, and immediately asked the flight attendant if they had moved my carryon bag. Passenger in 1A said he did not move my carryon bag. I opened the closet in front of 1A and the overhead over 1D, and could not locate my carryon bag, until most passengers had removed their carryon bags, and located mine above 5A. The other passengers were kind enough to let me step back to get my carryon bag, as they witnessed the situation. As I deplaned, the flight attendant apologized, but said none of the flight attendants moved my carryon bag.

As a former runner, I natrually walked past the passenger seated in 1A, and told him that I would have appreciated if he at least told me where he moved my carryon bag. He then denied again that he did not move it. I did not witness the bag moved, but I cannot fathom why anyone else would have motive to move it.

I understand if this passenger may have needed his carryon bag closer to him for any reason, medicinal, etc. But I would have appreciated to have been asked and to have known where it was moved. I have learned going forward to keep a closer eye on my carryon bag. The worst case would have been that I deplaned and expected my carryon bag on the luggage carousel, when it really was not gate checked.

What would you have done in this situation?
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Unless you catch them in the act, not much you can do. Best is to pay close attention during boarding. I travel with a backpack that has my laptop (or 2), ANC headphones, etc. Because of how short it is, inevitably someone tries to stack their own bag on top of it and crush my stuff, and I have to interrupt them.
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WesTraveller View Post

Personally I would have just grabbed my bag and moved on. This seems relatively minor.

A lot of people in this forum are going to post elaborate passive-aggressive revenge schemes.
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Since you asked, I would have grabbed the bag and moved on as well. I figure a lot of bag moving has to do with getting a couple more things stowed rather than nefarious motives...although it was rude not to have asked/notified you.
Old Jun 22, 16, 9:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Personally I would have just grabbed my bag and moved on....
Sometimes the jerks win. I'd forget about it, too.
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In all my years of traveling, I have never experienced this situation and want to see how you would have reacted.

I was seated in 1B in the B767-300ER transcon flight from SFO-JFK yesterday. I was probably the fifth or sixth person to board and because my carryon bag could not fit in the small overhead space above my seat, I stowed it above 1A.

Upon deplaning, after I opened the overhead compartment above 1A, I noticed the passenger seated in 1A remove his carryon bag. I was puzzled and dumbfounded, and immediately asked the flight attendant if they had moved my carryon bag. Passenger in 1A said he did not move my carryon bag. I opened the closet in front of 1A and the overhead over 1D, and could not locate my carryon bag, until most passengers had removed their carryon bags, and located mine above 5A. The other passengers were kind enough to let me step back to get my carryon bag, as they witnessed the situation. As I deplaned, the flight attendant apologized, but said none of the flight attendants moved my carryon bag.

As a former runner, I natrually walked past the passenger seated in 1A, and told him that I would have appreciated if he at least told me where he moved my carryon bag. He then denied again that he did not move it. I did not witness the bag moved, but I cannot fathom why anyone else would have motive to move it.

I understand if this passenger may have needed his carryon bag closer to him for any reason, medicinal, etc. But I would have appreciated to have been asked and to have known where it was moved. I have learned going forward to keep a closer eye on my carryon bag. The worst case would have been that I deplaned and expected my carryon bag on the luggage carousel, when it really was not gate checked.

I'm not so sure I believe that a FA didn't do it. The FA at the door told the OP that no FA had moved the bag, but I don't believe that a single FA on a 767 can be aware of everything every other FA did during boarding and perhaps even later in flight. If the OP wasn't aware earlier that the bag had been moved, there would have been no reason for the FAs to discuss this and all report to each other that none of them had moved the bag.

It's a good idea to pay some attention to your bag during boarding, but this can be hard/impossible at times, for example if you use the lavatory while the aircraft is at the gate.
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm not so sure I believe that a FA didn't do it. The FA at the door told the OP that no FA had moved the bag, but I don't believe that a single FA on a 767 can be aware of everything every other FA did during boarding and perhaps even later in flight. If the OP wasn't aware earlier that the bag had been moved, there would have been no reason for the FAs to discuss this and all report to each other that none of them had moved the bag.

It's a good idea to pay some attention to your bag during boarding, but this can be hard/impossible at times, for example if you use the lavatory while the aircraft is at the gate.
+1 to this. I mean, why lie? (not that someone wouldn't still). I would suspect the FA had no clue if another one did move it and/or another pax moved it for some reason. I always keep an eye on my bag during boarding for this reason. I , like Java, also tend to have a lot of electronics in my bag and don't need them crushed. My laptop bag is small, but dense!
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:45 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
That happened to me once. the other passenger at least asked who's bag this was, I said it's mine. He said if he could move it around to fit his duffle bag. I said go ahead. Some people at least have the decency to ask before just touching other's people belongings.
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Eddie98 View Post
That happened to me once. the other passenger at least asked who's bag this was, I said it's mine. He said if he could move it around to fit his duffle bag. I said go ahead. Some people at least have the decency to ask before just touching other's people belongings.
I was on a flight last week where someone tried to take a flight attendant's bags out of a bin marked for crew members only. When the FA called her on it, she argued about it. Then she moved one overhead forward and tried to take passengers bags out of that bin. And then tried to argue about that. Some people are just precious princesses and think the world revolves around them and cannot comprehend anything that doesn't fit that worldview.
Old Jun 22, 16, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC

Your situation sounds pretty calm. Just be glad that CLL wasn't on your flight, or who knows where your bag might have ended up.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26298801-post6191.html
Old Jun 22, 16, 11:06 am

Etiquette is to ask around though before you move someone's bag, but you can't always count on the animals that are in the plane with you to display good etiquette. I kind of expect that someone will play tetris with my bag. If you are worried about someone moving your bag or crushing something inside, keep an eye on it and the first time you see someone put a bag next to yours, very politely (I can't emphasize this enough) ask them to "be careful because I have x inside." If you do it right, you will have other passengers looking out for your belongings as well.

The only time I have ever made a big deal of it was when after everyone had boarded, I took by bag out of the overhead for a brief moment, and someone else stole my bag's spot in the overhead. I think he must have been sitting with it in his lap waiting for someone to take a bag out of an overhead. When I confronted him (with the support of my fellow passengers) he replied "well what do you want me to do? There are no spots left in the overhead." My response, "take it out and check it. You were last to board." At that point an FA took notice and with 5-1 against him, he decided to gate check his bag.
Old Jun 22, 16, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
inevitably someone tries to stack their own bag on top of it and crush my stuff, and I have to interrupt them.
I've had that happen, too, only it was a Delta FA smashing someone else's bag on top of my backpack (w/ laptop, etc., inside) on the SEA-ATL redeye. And the FA got very annoyed when I objected.

When I've noticed other passengers starting to move my bags, I just tell them to leave them alone. Their feathers get ruffled, but my bags tend to stay where I put them.
Old Jun 22, 16, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,

Upon deplaning, after I opened the overhead compartment above 1A, I noticed the passenger seated in 1A remove his carryon bag. I was puzzled and dumbfounded, and immediately asked the flight attendant if they had moved my carryon bag. Passenger in 1A said he did not move my carryon bag.

It has happened to me once and identical to what you described - I was upset and angry. I was also concerned -had someone stolen it - it added to anxiety - so in future, I will not do as posters describe.

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Best is to pay close attention during boarding.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
Sometimes the jerks win.
True

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I'd forget about it, too.
That I struggle with - it still pisses me off now as this thread has resurrected the memory.
Old Jun 22, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
It has happened to me once and identical to what you described - I was upset and angry. I was also concerned -had someone stolen it - it added to anxiety - so in future, I will not do as posters describe.

Agreed

True

That I struggle with - it still pisses me off now as this thread has resurrected the memory.
I'm with you. How did we come to a society where some people think it's perfectly acceptable to move someone's personal belongings away from them without finding out who they belong to and then asking to help out in a certain situation? And I've seen it often enough that I now have to pay attention to the overhead during boarding, rather than being able to focus on something else.
Old Jun 22, 16, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I watched a fight ensue over this at PVG.

A Chinese woman wanted her bag above her seat and was determined to remove the bag already there. The American woman passenger whose bag was pulled out objected and an argument began. It escalated and then the Chinese woman's husband decided to shove the American woman.

But it was on United so I assumed that such behavior went with the territory.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: