Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Other passenger moved my carryon bag after it was stowed!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Other passenger moved my carryon bag after it was stowed!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
I watched a fight ensue over this at PVG.

A Chinese woman wanted her bag above her seat and was determined to remove the bag already there. The American woman passenger whose bag was pulled out objected and an argument began. It escalated and then the Chinese woman's husband decided to shove the American woman.

But it was on United so I assumed that such behavior went with the territory.
No actually it was in China, so it goes with that particular territory - seems a lot of weird things happen there (or seemingly so) - a lot of arguing and fighting etc.

If I was in First I do expect some space for the bag above my seat (esp. in row 1 where it's needed), but would ask before moving someone elses or at least disclose you had moved it.

Of course this issue would go away if they'd stop charging so much for checked bags (or at all). I am aware of that never happening now, but a man can dream. Or travel Southwest.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by atsak
No actually it was in China, so it goes with that particular territory - seems a lot of weird things happen there (or seemingly so) - a lot of arguing and fighting etc.

If I was in First I do expect some space for the bag above my seat (esp. in row 1 where it's needed), but would ask before moving someone elses or at least disclose you had moved it.

Of course this issue would go away if they'd stop charging so much for checked bags (or at all). I am aware of that never happening now, but a man can dream. Or travel Southwest.
A lot of the problems with space for bags in the bulkhead seats, including FC, would go away if FAs wouldn't put their luggage over these rows.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I watch my carryon carefully (if at all possible).
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by formeraa
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I watch my carryon carefully (if at all possible).
^ ^ This. I have started to put my carryon luggage into the bin across the aisle.

David
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Had a similar incident, but I watched the whole thing unfold. I was in First Class on a 5 hour domestic flight. I had checked a bag and brought only a briefcase with medicine (including a glass vial of insulin) on board. I put my briefcase in the overhead above me standing it up taking very little space.

A woman with a large bag stopped at my seat and started to move my briefcase to try to make room for her bag, then she started to wedge it between mine and a large roll aboard. It wouldn't fit, she kept shoving. Asked her to please not do that as I had medicine in a glass vial in my bag. Nicely (really). Three times! She finally took her bag and huffed at me, "you should put that under your seat" as she went to her seat at the back of the plane.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
This was some years back. My recollection is that I was in a bulkhead row in F, and had stowed the backpack and the rolling bag overhead, per the rules. The rolling bag is medications and medical equipment (CPAP & nebulizer) that *MUST* travel with me. The backpack is notebook computer, DSLR camera, Bose headphones, CD wallet, CD player, batteries, power supplies, cables.

Some jerk decided his bag had to go in on top of my backpack, and he damned well was going to slam it in there until it fit. I had to speak rather sharply and loudly to him to get him to desist.

And then there was a domestic 737 hop. I was in F. Some guy from Y had stowed his bag in the bin over my seat. During the flight, he needed to get something out of his bag, and managed to drop the bag on my shoulder and knock my drink into my lap. I'll give him credit: he made an attempt at a minimal, meaningless apology.

I think that one was a DFW-Vegas leg, so maybe you've got to allow for a higher than usual Bozo fraction.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
"you should put that under your seat"
that's pretty good advice IYAM
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:26 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
At least it stayed in your cabin!
Very selfish of the other pax though.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH DM, National Exec Elite, SPG, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by atsak
Interesting, I suppose in first you would assume the space above your seat would be free, but actually I find that I prefer to place my bags above the seats across the aisle from mine rather than directly above my seat. Better body mechanics reaching directly forward on the approach instead of having to twist your back behind you while reaching up and leaning.

Of course, I usually only do this when it's advantageous for all involved (everyone is already sitting across the aisle so it's safe to assume that they don't need the space or, in cases not in F and in a 2 x 3 layout, when I have a smaller bag and can stow it in the reduced sized bins and free up the larger bin space.)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:39 pm

Hmmmm...

Originally Posted by WesTraveller
In all my years of traveling, I have never experienced this situation and want to see how you would have reacted.

I was seated in 1B in the B767-300ER transcon flight from SFO-JFK yesterday. I was probably the fifth or sixth person to board and because my carryon bag could not fit in the small overhead space above my seat, I stowed it above 1A.
So you put your bag not in the area associated with your seat but in the space associated with the other person's seat and you're bothered he moved it. Hmmm.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I always try to keep my overhead bag in sight. Had a young lady (probably in Y) instructing her boyfriend to "move that bag", mine. I said "if you are not a member of crew working this flight; that's theft" They did not touch my bag.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Irpworks
So you put your bag not in the area associated with your seat but in the space associated with the other person's seat and you're bothered he moved it. Hmmm.
You don't own the space. If it's already occupied, life is rough, find another spot for your bag.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Irpworks
Bin space is not associated with a seat. The bins are all first come, first served, and you can put your bag in any bin in your cabin that you wish.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hawkxp
I always try to keep my overhead bag in sight. Had a young lady (probably in Y) instructing her boyfriend to "move that bag", mine. I said "if you are not a member of crew working this flight; that's theft" They did not touch my bag.
are you a lawyer?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Moving someones stuff within the airplane without intent to take it off with you is in no way theft. Perhaps some sort of vandalism (even that's unlikely).

My rule is shuffling around bags within the overhead bin without asking is fair game so long as the stay in the same bin. Boarding would take forever if everyone had to seek and receive consent just to touch someone else's bag.

If you get worked up because someone slide or rearranges your luggage I think you're over reacting. You're traveling on public transit with 100+ other people it's unrealistic to think you can stay in a bubble. That said, I think it's equally rude to try a wedge a bag into the overhead or stack your heavy bag on someones lighter bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.