Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I’ve been using up my GUCs with KLM-booked reservations over the next few months. With the new employees and lack of DM phone line, it’s been a challenge using them and getting them applied correctly even when Z class is clearly available. Typically when the GUC is applied, DL retickets the reservation with 006 stock and creates a DL PNR that mirrors KLM. In my experience, when this happens, both reservations match each other. In this case, I’m going LAX-AMS and AMS-ORD (both cleared) but the KLM reservation is still showing coach while the Delta side shows business class. Ive asked DL twice and they have told me this is a KLM issue and I ‘should’ be able to checkin. (I am pretty sure there will be an issue). I can’t get a hold of anyone on the KLM side - including WhatsApp and Twitter. Any suggestions on how I should handle this? I want to get this resolved before I leave in about a week.
Agree with Billy Mumphrey that you should make sure the ticket has been reissued -- how long since you booked? If you booked recently, and it hasn't been reissued, AF/KL will cancel that segment entirely -- lots of DPs about this in the AF and KL GUC threads.

If you booked more than a week or two ago then you're probably ok as it would've been canceled by now if it hadn't been reissued.

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I didn't even know you could use a GUC on a KLM-booked flight.

Why do that? Cheaper? Better MQMs? Not available on DL?
GUCs can be used on many DL partners -- check out the wiki at the top of the GUC thread: Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes

The KL-specific thread can be found here:

A GUC-upgraded flight on KL (or AF) rebooks into Z class. There are various reasons this is better, and it's not by any means a secret, but people seem to get weird about having it posted publicly.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
Are you sure there isn't a new KL PNR related to the new DL PNR that reflects Z class?
Thank you. This is exactly what happened. The ticket was reissued properly with 006 stock but the original KL PNR was changed to a new one after that. So I was still seeing the old KL one and the new (correct) KL one on my KLM dashboard.

Another good lesson to add. Thanks everyone.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
A word of warning. I returned from a SFO-AMS R/T itinerary on KLM using GUC's 3 weeks ago.
Delta assured me that the GUC's were applied correctly, and re-ticketed on KLM correctly. However when I tried to checkin online, I was unable to. When I arrived at the airport the KLM agent had massive problems finding the correct info. I had to dig out my laptop to show the actual receipt of purchase. They had to get a manager approval on the phone (not an easy endeavor) to print a boarding pass. This took over 45 min to accomplish, so I was not popular in the check-in line.

I called Delta to make sure the return trip would not experience the same issue. They assured me everything was fine. Well, needless to say, same thing happened in AMS on the way back.

Then to add insult to injury, the MQD's were not calculated correctly. They should be calculated using KLM partner formula at 40% of miles flown. I am still waiting for this correction to be made after 3 phone calls (1hr each) and 3 weeks.
ebayj likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Boony1970

Then to add insult to injury, the MQD's were not calculated correctly. They should be calculated using KLM partner formula at 40% of miles flown. I am still waiting for this correction to be made after 3 phone calls (1hr each) and 3 weeks.
Why are you calling to get the posting corrected?

If it posted based on your original economy fare, it’s correct. The terms of GUCs state that mileage posting is done on your original purchase, not the upgraded fare.

STOP CALLING.

(1) They will never relent. This is a core role and it’s publicly written.

(2) Drawing too much attention. Lucky if it posts as Z, but no reason to follow up if not because the rules are not on your side and are very clear (this is why you’ll keep waiting, endlessly, for the correction)
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A word of warning. I returned from a SFO-AMS R/T itinerary on KLM using GUC's 3 weeks ago.
Delta assured me that the GUC's were applied correctly, and re-ticketed on KLM correctly. However when I tried to checkin online, I was unable to. When I arrived at the airport the KLM agent had massive problems finding the correct info. I had to dig out my laptop to show the actual receipt of purchase. They had to get a manager approval on the phone (not an easy endeavor) to print a boarding pass. This took over 45 min to accomplish, so I was not popular in the check-in line.

I called Delta to make sure the return trip would not experience the same issue. They assured me everything was fine. Well, needless to say, same thing happened in AMS on the way back.

This is incorrect. All you have done is call attention to fact this happen. This has been pointed out many times here.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta
Too much hassle to use GUCs

I'm beginnig to question whether it is even worth trying to use a GUC on KL/AF bookings. My current experience is:

Agent #1 - KL/AF - we can't do that, I'll have to put you through to our international desk. Gave up after another 20 minutes on hold. HUCA.
Agent #2 - Can't do that. Me - can you put me through to your international desk? Agent - I am the international desk and we can't apply GUCs to KL/AF. You have to call KL/AF. HUCA.
Agent #3 - We can do that, let me put you on hold for a minute. Cut off. HUCA.
Agent #4 - Finally knew what he was doing, but no Z space yet :-( Suggested wait a few days and try again.

EF now shows Z space...

Agent #5 - KL/AF, we can't do that. You have to call KL/AF

Really Delta, 60% of your agents don't know how to apply a GUC to KL/AF bookings?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I got relatively lucky, success on the first phone call a few days ago, ~25 minutes to cross all the t's and dot all the i's, then another ~10 minutes to reissue the ticket manually. 4th or 5th time overall successfully upgrading on AF/KL. But the experience definitely varies wildly depending on the knowledge of the agent you get...
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gerardfarrell
I'm beginnig to question whether it is even worth trying to use a GUC on KL/AF bookings. My current experience is:

Agent #1 - KL/AF - we can't do that, I'll have to put you through to our international desk. Gave up after another 20 minutes on hold. HUCA.
Agent #2 - Can't do that. Me - can you put me through to your international desk? Agent - I am the international desk and we can't apply GUCs to KL/AF. You have to call KL/AF. HUCA.
Agent #3 - We can do that, let me put you on hold for a minute. Cut off. HUCA.
Agent #4 - Finally knew what he was doing, but no Z space yet :-( Suggested wait a few days and try again.

EF now shows Z space...

Agent #5 - KL/AF, we can't do that. You have to call KL/AF

Really Delta, 60% of your agents don't know how to apply a GUC to KL/AF bookings?
You need to specifically ask for the KLM/AF Joint Venture support desk (in weekday daytime hours). If you get to that desk then they will do it right every time. The “international desk” just means frontline reissue certified which is very different.
Eddie98 and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago flying from MSP-AMS-CPT (this was my first time using GUCs on a KLM flight). I was not able to check-in online. When I got to the airport, the agent checking me in had to call over another person, who seemed slightly annoyed but very competent. She mumbled that someone did not do their job properly, and after about 2 minutes of typing she printed out my boarding passes and said my trip on the way back was also fixed. Indeed, I was able to check in online for the return flight. I feel lucky that I had a competent agent to help out.

I have another flight next month on KLM which I also upgraded with certs. I wanted to make sure everything looks good on that reservation now (and not when I get to the airport). Reading through this thread there is a lot of information and references, so I want to make sure I am not missing anything. When I call up the reservation on Delta.com, it lists Z fare class for each segment, and the flights all still have KL flight numbers. When I click on the receipt, it shows an 006 ticket number, and each segment again shows Z fare class. When I access the reservation through KLM (website or app), it shows World Business, I am able to select seats, etc. The ticket numbers again start in 006 (originally were 074). It also says I will be traveling in Z class (thought the fare basis starts in T, which was the original booking class). For all the experts on here, does this all look correct? Is there something more I should check?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Biscoff27
I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago flying from MSP-AMS-CPT (this was my first time using GUCs on a KLM flight). I was not able to check-in online. When I got to the airport, the agent checking me in had to call over another person, who seemed slightly annoyed but very competent. She mumbled that someone did not do their job properly, and after about 2 minutes of typing she printed out my boarding passes and said my trip on the way back was also fixed. Indeed, I was able to check in online for the return flight. I feel lucky that I had a competent agent to help out.

I have another flight next month on KLM which I also upgraded with certs. I wanted to make sure everything looks good on that reservation now (and not when I get to the airport). Reading through this thread there is a lot of information and references, so I want to make sure I am not missing anything. When I call up the reservation on Delta.com, it lists Z fare class for each segment, and the flights all still have KL flight numbers. When I click on the receipt, it shows an 006 ticket number, and each segment again shows Z fare class. When I access the reservation through KLM (website or app), it shows World Business, I am able to select seats, etc. The ticket numbers again start in 006 (originally were 074). It also says I will be traveling in Z class (thought the fare basis starts in T, which was the original booking class). For all the experts on here, does this all look correct? Is there something more I should check?
Yes, that is correct.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by Utskicat
You need to specifically ask for the KLM/AF Joint Venture support desk (in weekday daytime hours). If you get to that desk then they will do it right every time. The “international desk” just means frontline reissue certified which is very different.
I must have gotten lucky on my last KLM flight a couple of years ago. I just called DL (4 times) and finally the agent knew what to do. All my RUCs were applied and clear ATL-AMS-KUL both ways.
Now I know to ask for the Joint Venture support desk next time flying KLM.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I must have gotten lucky on my last KLM flight a couple of years ago. I just called DL (4 times) and finally the agent knew what to do. All my RUCs were applied and clear ATL-AMS-KUL both ways.
Now I know to ask for the Joint Venture support desk next time flying KLM.
Always see if agent knows how. If they do, great! If not, then ask to be transferred. Hold time can be over a hour nowadays, for getting any of the support desks
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Several months ago I booked roundtrip flights on klm.com from the US to MXP (via AMS) and then called Delta to apply 2 GUCs to the flights. The Delta agent converted the ticket from 074 to 006 stock and then applied the GUCs, moving me from economy to Z class on all segments. I later needed to change the trip, so I called Delta and had the agent rebook me on new KLM flights to GVA (via AMS) the following month. I paid about $200 for the difference in fare and the GUCs got transferred over to the new trip. Ticket was promptly reissued into Z class and everything looked right on both the Delta and KLM websites.

Flash forward to this week and I get a schedule change email from KLM that my original MXP itinerary had changed. It basically said KLM was rerouting me to LIN instead of MXP on similarly timed flights. It seemed strange I'd get a schedule change email for a cancelled itinerary, so I checked out the itinerary on klm.com and it still looks like an active reservation (including ticket number). All flights are in Y, so it looks like my original booking before applying GUCs (with the exception of traveling to LIN instead of MXP).

Seems like I have a few options: (i) do nothing; (ii) call KLM and just ask them to cancel the LIN booking without going into detail; or (iii) call Delta and explain the whole situation and perhaps they, or the AF/KLM joint venture desk, can help sort this out. Obviously I don't want to jeopardize my GVA trip, which looks fine, by messing with this LIN trip, but I also don't want to leave an extra reservation in the system since I have no intent to fly it. Thoughts?

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Aug 11, 2022 at 7:13 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You've ended up with 2 KLM PNRS. DL can't do anything about the original one. When they took control and changed booking you ended with a 2nd one. As long as all your flights don't show under one PNR with KLM, you're good.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You've ended up with 2 KLM PNRS. DL can't do anything about the original one. When they took control and changed booking you ended with a 2nd one. As long as all your flights don't show under one PNR with KLM, you're good.
Only the original flights show up under the old KLM PNR. But it still looks like an active booking. Why shouldn't I try to cancel it? I have seat assignments, so at a minimum I'd think they'd want to free up the space if I won't be flying it.
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.