Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
No wait list even for AF if no PE cabin? Spoke to Delta Agent recently and she said she cant use GUC even thought no Premium economy is offered in AF see below)Thanks

Gave you tried pricing on AF.com. The issue is likely that DL is not offering a PE fare. AFAIK all AF metal long haul has PE. ONCE purchase PE from AF, call DL and they can apply..
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. AF website is not showing any PE seats. Only Business and Economy. Also should the ticket be issued as Delta Ticket? If I call AF, it would be a AF ticket and the delta agent has to reissue it ?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Gave you tried pricing on AF.com. The issue is likely that DL is not offering a PE fare. AFAIK all AF metal long haul has PE. ONCE purchase PE from AF, call DL and they can apply..
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. AF website is not showing any PE seats. Only Business and Economy. Also should the ticket be issued as Delta Ticket? If I call AF, it would be a AF ticket and the delta agent has to reissue if ?
Doesn't matter if AF issues ticket. DL can take control.
ebayj and Love_Travel like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Heading to FCO in a couple of weeks MSP-AMS-FCO RT all KLM legs on KLM ticket. Picked up a super cheap ~$600 fare last year on a whim not knowing whether we would make it or not. Well, we are so called today to upgrade the outbound legs (3 passengers) to Business. The agent first confirmed that space was available, I saw the business legs show up in my confirmation but after an agonizing hold came back and said that KLM Light fare was not eligible.

However a quick read of the T&Cs state that Both V (MSP-AMS) and L (AMS-FCO) are valid classes to upgrade to Z. Is this a HUCA scenario?
Nothing in the T&C for GUCs says KLM Light fares aren't eligible. However there must be something in the internal instructions the agents read that prohibits these fares just like a BE fare is prohibited on Delta.

FYI, I tried with a Light fare last week and was told it was ineligible. HUCA and same result. HUCA and the agent processed the GUCs for me. So try a few times if there is Z space available and you might get lucky.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Delta / KLM using SWU questions

Ok i have read back a handful of pages and still confused on being able to use Delta SWU on mixed Delta/KLM Metal flights. Seeing terms as married flights etc.

Example:
MSP-AMS-DXB
MSP-AMS (Delta Metal)
AMS-DXB (KLM Metal)

Questions:
Do i need to have a DL or KLM flight number on the AMS-DXB flight? DLxxx/KLMxxx or DLxxx/DLxxxx
When searching expertflyer do i need Z space to show on both legs before i can book on KLM?
- Space shows Z9 when searching AMS-DXB but shows Z0 msp-ams-dxb.
Delta.com show space MSP-AMS but will not show anything for ams-dxb.

Thanks in advance as this is probably a novice question for most.

-dave
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Ok i have read back a handful of pages and still confused on being able to use Delta SWU on mixed Delta/KLM Metal flights. Seeing terms as married flights etc.

Example:
MSP-AMS-DXB
MSP-AMS (Delta Metal)
AMS-DXB (KLM Metal)

Questions:
Do i need to have a DL or KLM flight number on the AMS-DXB flight? DLxxx/KLMxxx or DLxxx/DLxxxx
When searching expertflyer do i need Z space to show on both legs before i can book on KLM?
- Space shows Z9 when searching AMS-DXB but shows Z0 msp-ams-dxb.
Delta.com show space MSP-AMS but will not show anything for ams-dxb.

Thanks in advance as this is probably a novice question for most.

-dave
My understanding is that the Delta-operated flight (MSP-AMS) will make this whole trip ineligible because PS is offered on that leg. You will need to look for MSP-AMS-DXB where both legs are operated by KLM and Z class is available. The DL/KL flight numbers don't matter. If you buy from delta.com you will get DL flight numbers that are converted to KL flight numbers when the GUCs are processed. If you buy from KLM you will keep KL flight numbers. The key is finding dates when you see Z class availability on only KLM metal.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
My understanding is that the Delta-operated flight (MSP-AMS) will make this whole trip ineligible because PS is offered on that leg. You will need to look for MSP-AMS-DXB where both legs are operated by KLM and Z class is available. The DL/KL flight numbers don't matter. If you buy from delta.com you will get DL flight numbers that are converted to KL flight numbers when the GUCs are processed. If you buy from KLM you will keep KL flight numbers. The key is finding dates when you see Z class availability on only KLM metal.
Each segment upgrades per rules for who operates it. Thus DL segment can only upgrade in advance to D1 if bought in PE. It can still upgrade to PE and waitlist for DoD D1.

However if bought in Y, the KLM operated segment can still be upgraded to Business. The fact the DL segment can't is irrelevant.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
But does EF need Z1 from MSP-AMS-DXB or showing Z1 from AMS-DXB ok?

dave
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
...after an agonizing hold came back and said that KLM Light fare was not eligible.

However a quick read of the T&Cs state that Both V (MSP-AMS) and L (AMS-FCO) are valid classes to upgrade to Z. Is this a HUCA scenario?
Nothing in the T&C for GUCs says KLM Light fares aren't eligible. However there must be something in the internal instructions the agents read that prohibits these fares just like a BE fare is prohibited on Delta.

FYI, I tried with a Light fare last week and was told it was ineligible. HUCA and same result. HUCA and the agent processed the GUCs for me.
Wrestling with booking light vs econ right now. The GUC T&Cs do state upgrades are from "Main Cabin" fares. KL light fare would map to Basic Econ, not Main Cabin. Also, KL does not use a separate booking code to distinguish "light" fares, so a standard or light fare could be booked in V class (or another economy booking code).

Will probably go ahead with the standard fare just to be safe.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Wrestling with booking light vs econ right now. The GUC T&Cs do state upgrades are from "Main Cabin" fares. KL light fare would map to Basic Econ, not Main Cabin. Also, KL does not use a separate booking code to distinguish "light" fares, so a standard or light fare could be booked in V class (or another economy booking code).

Will probably go ahead with the standard fare just to be safe.
If you want to apply the GUCs on the first call without wasting time, and potentially seeing the Z space disappear, go for the standard fare. If you're willing to call a few times to try to save some money (in my case $150), then go with the light fare. Remember you have 1 day to cancel an itinerary for a full refund on klm.com. So if you can't get an agent to apply the GUC to a KLM light fare within a day, you can always cancel the flight with KLM for a full refund and then rebook it on delta.com to make things simple.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
No one appears to be able to answer this question. Can we use GUCs on KLM award tickets booked with SkyMiles? If so, does it have to be DL-coded? or can it be KL-coded, too?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
No one appears to be able to answer this question. Can we use GUCs on KLM award tickets booked with SkyMiles? If so, does it have to be DL-coded? or can it be KL-coded, too?
You can't use GUCs on KLM-operated flights when you book with award miles (either SkyMiles or FB). GUCs on KLM metal always process into Z class, which is a revenue fare class.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It’s been mentioned quite a few places but just to clarify no you can only use GUCs to upgrade on Delta metal.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
If you want to apply the GUCs on the first call without wasting time, and potentially seeing the Z space disappear, go for the standard fare. If you're willing to call a few times to try to save some money (in my case $150), then go with the light fare. Remember you have 1 day to cancel an itinerary for a full refund on klm.com. So if you can't get an agent to apply the GUC to a KLM light fare within a day, you can always cancel the flight with KLM for a full refund and then rebook it on delta.com to make things simple.
I like your style and for the longest time HUACA would always do the trick. What I'm experiencing more and more lately is trying that only to then have the second or third agent (or both) tell me "I see you just called about that....." Agents are getting much more strict about not only logging notes, but also reading notes on your profile of your last calls and what was discussed. I can't be the only one who's running into this?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA Plat 2 MM, Marriott Ambassador & LTP, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I was just able to upgrade a flight (BER-AMS-JFK) via chat. Lots of wait times, but they proactively engaged the Global Partner Desk and got it done. New PNR (Delta), New 006 ticket #, and I went selected seats via klm.com after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.