Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I had a somewhat similar issue this week, with Z space showing on Expert Flyer on the KL flight but the DM desk not being able to push the upgrade through. They forwarded to a KLM liaison who incorrectly claimed my fare class wasn’t eligible (it is a DL marketed ticket). I had to give up on it due to the need to attend to my job, and now of course the space is gone.

I’m not optimistic about having a better experience trying to get upgraded at the airport.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Any data points on what mqd you got credited for when the flight books into Z? Anyone get the 40% of miles flown?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by krupdogg
Any data points on what mqd you got credited for when the flight books into Z? Anyone get the 40% of miles flown?
MQDs were calculated fairly.

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Oct 24, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Has anyone been able to successfully get around the married logic segment issue? Can see Z9 MSP-AMS and Z6 AMS-HEL but Z0 when searching MSP-AMS-HEL. I would be OK splitting the AMS-HEL leg out if I could to upgrade the overwater.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Nope. Note KLM A330 is awful in J unless something has changed. Unlike DL with 1-2-1, KL has 2-2-2 seating.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Darn.

This is on the 787-9 in J, which I flew last December and found as good as Delta. Service wasn't quite as energetic as DL, but had heard that before hand. Did get a an actual drink on the ground, after we sat for 3 hours waiting to push for de-icing in AMS which was surprising, but nice.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
deleted

Last edited by wilsonnyc; Nov 30, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:16 am

Attempted GUC upgrades

Hi All,
Trying to upgrade a flight from KUL > AMS > JFK, Delta marketed. Main concern is KUL > AMS, already waitlisted on the second segment. The KUL > AMS segment is on KLM. The AMS > JFK segment is on Delta. ExpertFlyer shows Z3 inventory for KUL > AMS on KLM but Z0 for KUL > AMS > JFK. Does the married segment logic apply in this case since the second segment is Delta operated? Delta is telling me no Z inventory is available and waitlisting me on the KLM flight, insisting waitlisting is possible (even though I'm pretty sure it will get closed out). But ExpertFlyer shows the inventory. Should I just HUCA (presumably during more regular business hours, since I am attempting around 2am EST due to time zone difference).

Thanks,
Dave
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Correct there's no such thing as waitlisting. Also note that KUL-AMS needs to be DL coded to use Z. Otherwise it needs to be full Y fare if KL coded. Point this out since I wasn't aware of DL codesharing on KLM KUL-AMS.

Yes married logic still applies.

Callback during weekday for better trained agents.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG PLAT
As a data point, Delta does have their code on the KL KUL flights to/from AMS flights (DL8210 and DL8212) and I've seen open Z inventory on them quite a few times when I have looked at flights on this route in the past.

They also have their code on the KL SIN and BKK flights however those ones are usually cost prohibitive (~$6k+ for Y from JFK)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dave456
Hi All,
Trying to upgrade a flight from KUL > AMS > JFK, Delta marketed. Main concern is KUL > AMS, already waitlisted on the second segment. The KUL > AMS segment is on KLM. The AMS > JFK segment is on Delta. ExpertFlyer shows Z3 inventory for KUL > AMS on KLM but Z0 for KUL > AMS > JFK. Does the married segment logic apply in this case since the second segment is Delta operated? Delta is telling me no Z inventory is available and waitlisting me on the KLM flight, insisting waitlisting is possible (even though I'm pretty sure it will get closed out). But ExpertFlyer shows the inventory. Should I just HUCA (presumably during more regular business hours, since I am attempting around 2am EST due to time zone difference).

Thanks,
Dave
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Correct there's no such thing as waitlisting. Also note that KUL-AMS needs to be DL coded to use Z. Otherwise it needs to be full Y fare if KL coded. Point this out since I wasn't aware of DL codesharing on KLM KUL-AMS.

Yes married logic still applies.

Callback during weekday for better trained agents.
Originally Posted by drchrysler
As a data point, Delta does have their code on the KL KUL flights to/from AMS flights (DL8210 and DL8212) and I've seen open Z inventory on them quite a few times when I have looked at flights on this route in the past.

They also have their code on the KL SIN and BKK flights however those ones are usually cost prohibitive (~$6k+ for Y from JFK)
Thanks for the replies. I was definitely booked under the DL code - Y class limitation on KLM marketed flights made it a non-starter. But good news, I called back during US business hours and with two very helpful agents got everything taken care of. Ticket reissued in business on the KLM segment (KUL > AMS), the second Delta segment (AMS > JFK) is still waitlisted. As for the married segments, I think it only applies across the KLM flights, as Z inventory showed available only on KUL > AMS (and not KUL > AMS > JFK). So all they needed was KUL > AMS. I presume it would have been different if my second segment was also on KLM.

I've had little luck with GUCs lately, so glad to have one clear. I missed by one seat on the outbound via LAX to PVG (but at least was able to snag a low priced Premium Select upgrade).

Dave
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by drchrysler

Last time I looked (year ago) they hadn't or had no fares that worked with the DL coded number. Would be happy if they do now. (Or a cheap Z fare)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Last time I looked (year ago) they hadn't or had no fares that worked with the DL coded number. Would be happy if they do now. (Or a cheap Z fare)
How do you know when a fare won't work with the DL numbers? By reading the section at the top of the rules where they state the applicable airline codes?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I had the same recollection, but that post prompted me to look. East coast to KUL/BKK appear to be same price over either ocean now.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, United 1K, Bonvoy Plat Elite, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC, Nat'l Executive Elite
Just called in to try to book KL 651 on 9/8. EF showed Z availability on KL, but the agent told me I needed to book in Y to upgrade. I pushed him and he called the KLM liaison desk and spent about 15 minutes talking with them. He came back and said the liaison desk told him there was a policy change on Feb 1 2019, and you now need to book in Y for KLM upgrades, and in B or M for O upgrades. He said this was the first he'd heard of this, and that no memo had gone around to the Diamond reps, but the liaison desk told him one would shortly.

Does this sound correct?

(I ended up booking a cheaper confirmed upgrade out of MAD, as I have to take a positioning flight either way, so I didn't bother to HUCA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.