Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
DL agent telling me KL requires Y,B, or M fare...yawn, this is getting so old. Why is this so hard!?
KL coded does require YBM. Only KL operated, DL coded cam be upgraded from any fare class.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:57 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
I have been told the KL rules (YBM upgrade only) apply, but I believe others have been told or expect that normal Delta rules would apply. May be a HUCA situation.

Delta OY space would ultimately govern availability, though that does seem to at least sometimes sync up with Z space on the KL code as viewed on EF. No guarantees though.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL operated follow the rules for DL flights, even if coded as AF/KLM. Some agents get confused thoughwith the rules for KLM operated flights varying depending on if DL/KL coded.

DL operated needs O space on the DL flight number to be upgraded. (Even if coded as KLM, the upgrade space must be found under the DL flight number)
Originally Posted by TTT
Great - thank you both for the help.
I am in the process of trying to get an upgrade confirmed on a KL marketed, DL operated AMS-SLC flight. I haven't yet selected the GUCs as I don't know if I want to select them unless I can get this flight confirmed since I may not have any more planned international travel before they expire.

I checked with the Twitter desk and they said that space is available, but since it is KL marketed, I can't use the GUC. Should I call to confirm they can be used or are we collectively sure they can? I think the T&Cs make it pretty clear:

Upgrade Offer: This certificate is valid for upgraded one-way travel on flights operated by Delta Air Lines...
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

A second question: if they can be used, how do KL fare classes map to the eligible DL fare classes. My KL coded flight is booked in N.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by TTT
I am in the process of trying to get an upgrade confirmed on a KL marketed, DL operated AMS-SLC flight. I haven't yet selected the GUCs as I don't know if I want to select them unless I can get this flight confirmed since I may not have any more planned international travel before they expire.

I checked with the Twitter desk and they said that space is available, but since it is KL marketed, I can't use the GUC. Should I call to confirm they can be used or are we collectively sure they can? I think the T&Cs make it pretty clear:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

A second question: if they can be used, how do KL fare classes map to the eligible DL fare classes. My KL coded flight is booked in N.
You may be able to start phone roulette now without requesting the GUCs. I have been able to get an agent to change my reservation (in a more straightforward case on DL flight numbers) to OY before having the GUCs in hand before, and then just had to call back the next day to ask them to attach the certificate numbers.

You're going to need a really helpful agent to do all of that though, so it may take multiple calls.

I would ask them to check whether space is available (even though you already know it is) and ask if they can set up the upgrade while you go in to request the certificates. If they refuse to set it up until you have the certificate numbers they're probably not sufficiently helpful to do what you need anyway.

If they will set it up for you, it sounds like at some point in the process they will have to reissue the flights on DL flight numbers anyway, and if they are willing / able to do that, they may be able to do it on that first call as part of setting up the reservation in OY, so that once you call back with the GUCs in hand the flights will already be on DL flight numbers and any agent should be able to handle the rest of it.

It is also possible they may charge you a fare difference, if one applies, to change to the DL flight numbers. If they do, no idea what your chance of getting out of that fare difference payment are. (And they may possibly even charge a change fee, though you can probably get them to waive that part if they do try.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You may be able to start phone roulette now without requesting the GUCs. I have been able to get an agent to change my reservation (in a more straightforward case on DL flight numbers) to OY before having the GUCs in hand before, and then just had to call back the next day to ask them to attach the certificate numbers.

You're going to need a really helpful agent to do all of that though, so it may take multiple calls.

I would ask them to check whether space is available (even though you already know it is) and ask if they can set up the upgrade while you go in to request the certificates. If they refuse to set it up until you have the certificate numbers they're probably not sufficiently helpful to do what you need anyway.

If they will set it up for you, it sounds like at some point in the process they will have to reissue the flights on DL flight numbers anyway, and if they are willing / able to do that, they may be able to do it on that first call as part of setting up the reservation in OY, so that once you call back with the GUCs in hand the flights will already be on DL flight numbers and any agent should be able to handle the rest of it.

It is also possible they may charge you a fare difference, if one applies, to change to the DL flight numbers. If they do, no idea what your chance of getting out of that fare difference payment are. (And they may possibly even charge a change fee, though you can probably get them to waive that part if they do try.)
Great suggestions - thank you! I will give it a shot later this morning.

First attempt was really helpful but no go. My KLM N fare wasn't eligible (needed to be one of these: Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V). Also the Z bucket wasn't available on KL so she said it couldn't be confirmed (reading here though, it should be able to be in OY which is available). She offered to allow me to upfare to a Q for a reasonable price but since I couldn't confirm with her on the KL flight decided not to.

I will try again - the flight isn't until December so I have some time.

Last edited by TTT; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:12 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Changing KLM flights booked using GUCs?

Does anyone have any experience changing KLM flights booked using GUCs?

In theory if there is upgrade space available on the new flights, you should be able to change based on the price difference between the original coach ticket and a coach ticket on the new routing, plus a change fee if applicable. However the new coach routing would also in theory need to be back on DL flight numbers in order to be eligible to use GUCs on the lower fare classes, and not sure if they are able/willing to change it back to DL flight numbers? Especially if, as in my case, I want to keep the upgraded flights on the outbound leg but change the return?

Just wondering what I should expect before I call and see what happens...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any experience changing KLM flights booked using GUCs?

In theory if there is upgrade space available on the new flights, you should be able to change based on the price difference between the original coach ticket and a coach ticket on the new routing, plus a change fee if applicable. However the new coach routing would also in theory need to be back on DL flight numbers in order to be eligible to use GUCs on the lower fare classes, and not sure if they are able/willing to change it back to DL flight numbers? Especially if, as in my case, I want to keep the upgraded flights on the outbound leg but change the return?

Just wondering what I should expect before I call and see what happens...
I have done this with GUCs on KLM, although I changed the outbound and kept the return. I paid the difference in fare (they waived the change fee due to circumstances). As long as your GUCs haven't expired they should be able to just transfer them to the new itinerary, provided there is Z space available. If not you're out of luck.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I have done this with GUCs on KLM, although I changed the outbound and kept the return. I paid the difference in fare (they waived the change fee due to circumstances). As long as your GUCs haven't expired they should be able to just transfer them to the new itinerary, provided there is Z space available. If not you're out of luck.
Thanks, good to know. My new target itinerary does have Z space according to EF so that part should be okay. Just to confirm, the difference in fare was that for the underlying coach tickets?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, good to know. My new target itinerary does have Z space according to EF so that part should be okay. Just to confirm, the difference in fare was that for the underlying coach tickets?
Correct, business fare isn't relevant since it's an upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
Does the married segment logic apply here? I'm booked KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA with KRK-ORD on KLM and ORD-LGA on Delta. When I search AMS-ORD I can see z inventory open with 9+ seats, but multiple Delta agents told me that they could not upgrade me. However when I search KRK-ORD it shows Z 0. Just want to confirm that Z needs to be open on both KLM-operated legs for it to work.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by zhangyuliang
Does the married segment logic apply here? I'm booked KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA with KRK-ORD on KLM and ORD-LGA on Delta. When I search AMS-ORD I can see z inventory open with 9+ seats, but multiple Delta agents told me that they could not upgrade me. However when I search KRK-ORD it shows Z 0. Just want to confirm that Z needs to be open on both KLM-operated legs for it to work.
I believe that it's married segment availability for all of your flights, including the Delta connection. So you'd need to see if Z is available on the target segments when searching KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
Originally Posted by SamOF
I believe that it's married segment availability for all of your flights, including the Delta connection. So you'd need to see if Z is available on the target segments when searching KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA.
ExpertFlyer will not even show KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA as an option. Plus, I don't believe that a Delta Connection flight has Z availability.
So I'll need Z availability on every segment even though I only want the AMS-ORD segment upgraded?
Thank you so much SamOF!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:46 am

ExpertFlyer will not even show KRK-AMS-ORD-LGA as an option. Plus, I don't believe that a Delta Connection flight has Z availability.
It's not that Z needs to be available on ORD-LGA, it's that Z needs to be available on the first two segments when "married" to ORD-LGA.

And you're not going to generally be able to look up routings like that on ExpertFlyer. I would open up matrix, and search for a KLM Z class paid ticket on your route (assuming that they publish a fare). You'd search multi city, and I would do it like this bc Z fares are likely to be roundtrip only.

1. KRK to ORD (kl+ f bc=z)
2. ORD to LGA (dl)
3. JFK to KRK (Kl+)
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:49 am

So I'll need Z availability on every segment even though I only want the AMS-ORD segment upgraded?
Nope--you only need Z on AMS-ORD. But Z on that flight has to be available when searched along with all of the other segments covered by whatever fare component you're using (likely a KRK-LGA fare).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Correct, business fare isn't relevant since it's an upgrade.
BTW, called today to make my flight change and it went extremely smoothly, just as you experienced. It was actually easier and faster to change the flights than to book them with the upgrades in the first place.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Hello, I've tried the HUCA route twice - got the same "must be in YBM" class fare. I think I'm confused on what I'm reading above regarding KLM/Delta operated.

I booked with DL flights show DL #'s but state operated by KLM. MY DL fare is V class. EF shows Z class available - bu the agents insist I have to be YBM.

I went last May to DEL the same way DL ticketed KLM operated that was an X or V class fare. GUC's cleared immediately

My current trip is IAD - AMS - CPT and back

Should I keep trying or am I wrong on the class fare and marketed/operated?

Thank you for you assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.