Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
no, 'that's not possible' you have to go to the airport.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thepaul500
expertflyer shows upgrade space available on KLM flights under the Z fare bucket, fyi
Anyone have a workaround for DL agents not seeing the Z inventory that EF shows available? I have a KL coded DL operated flight; agents not seeing what EF shows.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
no, 'that's not possible' you have to go to the airport.
Fair enough. When I go to the airport, I'm assuming I'll need to give the KLM agent the number of the GUC that DL has applied to the rest of my itinerary? Is there any way to determine that other than calling DL and asking them, and then writing it down? I see the numbers for 3 of my certificates in my 'wallet' on delta.com (but not in the app) though I can't actually tell which GUC is applied to which leg.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:25 pm

They will ask the number & redemption code. Please remember that the KLM agents are not Delta agents and are working with different systems. They basically can only see if it closed or open and rely on you to providing the correct info. They are unable to see what kind & amount of GUC's you have in your wallet.
Better make sure you have the correct info before you are in AMS.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
So, I have a flight coming up very soon. I have been cleared the whole way using a GUC. Including two KLM flights intra Europe. I have seat assignments on my DL flights, but not on my KLM flights. Does anyone know if I need to have the certificate numbers to clear on those flights? I looked in my Delta Wallet, and the certificates are closed and gone. No idea what the numbers are.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:19 pm

You should be able to select those seats using KLM or AF.com or by calling/using twitter. No GUC needed once cleared.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:28 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So at the airport, I was able to upgrade with miles on a KLM flight from Africa to AMS, which was great. You don't get any MQM bonuses (just originally paid fare) and the check-in desk has you go to the ticket office first to clear the upgrade. Similar to a GUC, just paid with miles. Pretty easy. At AMS, my flights always seem full in biz, so no luck for me!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So at the airport, I was able to upgrade with miles on a KLM flight from Africa to AMS, which was great. You don't get any MQM bonuses (just originally paid fare) and the check-in desk has you go to the ticket office first to clear the upgrade. Similar to a GUC, just paid with miles. Pretty easy. At AMS, my flights always seem full in biz, so no luck for me!
I assume you mean you upgraded with Delta miles? Out of curiosity, how many miles did it cost, Africa to AMS?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:55 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by laxrdu
I assume you mean you upgraded with Delta miles? Out of curiosity, how many miles did it cost, Africa to AMS?
Was 35k miles (the guy before me was 30k) so I assume it's based on either fare class or fare paid. AMS-MSP was going to be 25k but then none were available on a DL flight (required approval from a Delta Red Coat at the gate)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For DL flights, you can apply a GUC to one segment and wait list it for another segment. If the ticket is reissued to reflect the first upgrade, this doesn't prevent the same "closed" GUC from being cleared later for the other segment.

If a KLM agent gives you trouble on this, you could try just telling them to use a new GUC and then fight later with DL for the return of the second GUC.
From my experience just now at the KLM Crown Lounge in AMS, it sure appears that it does prevent the GUC from being used for the KLM leg on day-of-departure (or the agent just didn't know how.) The KLM agent took my GUC and reference code, and it said the it was already exchanged and there was nothing she could do. The whole thing was quite an affair, including the DL agent on the phone with me asking to talk to the KL agent, and the KL agent refusing.

In the end, I ended up burning a different GUC, and the DL supervisor said she will document it so that I get it back. Hopefully that happens quickly enough for me to use it on my return KLM flight, since it was my last one and I imagine the GUC I have currently applied to that leg will be of no use to me, since the DL leg has already cleared.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Was 35k miles (the guy before me was 30k) so I assume it's based on either fare class or fare paid. AMS-MSP was going to be 25k but then none were available on a DL flight (required approval from a Delta Red Coat at the gate)
Out of curiosity, what fare class/paid did you have? I thought there was a thread that someone posted with fare class/paid and corresponding mileage redemptions for upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.
It looks like they changed the fare classes available on KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights. The website now says:

Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, or M class to Business Class.
Just wondering your guys' experience with this? I'm having trouble getting the flights I want as delta-marketed without a big increase in price...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bworrell
It looks like they changed the fare classes available on KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights. The website now says:

Just wondering your guys' experience with this? I'm having trouble getting the flights I want as delta-marketed without a big increase in price...
Thanks for pulling this up, I had thought I remembered all fares being valid on KL codes, which appears to have been removed at some point.

Over on the general GUC thread there are many reports of DM line agents being able to issue GUCs on lower fares for KL-marketed flights, though it sounds like they have to start with DL-marketed flights and then change them to KL-marketed or something. Sounds like the best approach is to find upgrade availability on ExpertFlyer and then HUCA until you find an agent who knows how to make it happen (and perhaps nudge the agents along by asking if the upgrade can possibly be processed on a KL flight number).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:25 pm

To make it even more confusing, further down the page:
For travel on KLM-operated, KLM-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by bworrell

To me, this is a downgrade: GUCs could be applied to essentially all KLM fares, and sometimes, booking on KLM.com was cheaper than booking on DL.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.