Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jboylan
Just called in to try to book KL 651 on 9/8. EF showed Z availability on KL, but the agent told me I needed to book in Y to upgrade. I pushed him and he called the KLM liaison desk and spent about 15 minutes talking with them. He came back and said the liaison desk told him there was a policy change on Feb 1 2019, and you now need to book in Y for KLM upgrades, and in B or M for O upgrades. He said this was the first he'd heard of this, and that no memo had gone around to the Diamond reps, but the liaison desk told him one would shortly.

Does this sound correct?

(I ended up booking a cheaper confirmed upgrade out of MAD, as I have to take a positioning flight either way, so I didn't bother to HUCA)
The upgrade fare codes as described have long been the policy for upgrades on KLM using miles. For GUCs the terms & conditions at the bottom of this page haven't changed so hopefully the agent was misinformed, but who knows.

FWIW usually these upgrades are processed by international ticketing, not by a KLM liaison, so I wouldn't necessarily expect the person your agent spoke with to know what's going on. But the specific reference to there having been a change is concerning.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Sounds like the agent quoted the AF rules. I just used a GUC in February and had a KLM leg that upgraded to Z no problem. Since the published terms haven’t changed I would work with those as the baseline, which is any Delta Marketed, KLM operated flight can be upgraded with a GUC from any fair class, excepting E.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Confused here, that was the rule in the past (Y and Z inventory was enough. M, B and you needed O iirc)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Confused here, that was the rule in the past (Y and Z inventory was enough. M, B and you needed O iirc)
Those are the rules for upgrades using miles, using GUCs the rules are different (all economy fares except E book into Z on GUCs).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
AMS-CPT-AMS

I just returned from a trip to Cape Town: LAX-SEA-AMS-CPT-AMS-ATL-LAX.
My GUC's for the Delta outbound legs cleared automatically without any issues a few days before departure.
I called in every day before departure to check on availability for the notoriously full - and often overbooked - legs AMS-CPT-AMS, but there was never availability. When I got to Lounge #52 at Schiphol airport on the outbound, I had approx. 65 minutes on the layover to find an agent who was willing to help me. Luck was with me and the very competent agent found the last available seat, called the designated desk for confirmation and was able to book for me. I had the Certificate number and Redemption code that was used for the prior legs ready and less than 45 minutes before departure I got the upgrade.
On the return leg CPT-AMS I was totally out of luck. While checking in early at CPT airport to check for availability, I was told that just minutes before the last two seats were sold. My seat thus stayed in Main cabin for CPT-AMS, since EC was already sold out months before departure. Oh well .....
The rest of the inbound itinerary on DL had been cleared well in advance before departure.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by bgriff
Those are the rules for upgrades using miles, using GUCs the rules are different (all economy fares except E book into Z on GUCs).
Talking about upgrading with GUC's on KLM operated and marketed flights since jboylan mentioned KL 651, not a DL marketed flight.

" For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated flights marketed by either Delta or Air France, this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class. Fares booked in B or M are eligible to upgrade into O class, while fares booked in Y are eligible to upgrade into Z class. "

/me thinks they mispelled KLM

Last edited by Grouchy; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United 1K, Bonvoy Plat Elite, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC, Nat'l Executive Elite
Originally Posted by whooperatw
Sounds like the agent quoted the AF rules. I just used a GUC in February and had a KLM leg that upgraded to Z no problem. Since the published terms haven’t changed I would work with those as the baseline, which is any Delta Marketed, KLM operated flight can be upgraded with a GUC from any fair class, excepting E.
The Diamond agent had originally said to me "the JV desk told me the KLM rules are now the same as the Air France rules."

I had to change the date of departure after booking though, so called back after all. The (new) Diamond agent was able to see the KLM Z-availability for the date I requested, and confirmed to me it was upgrade eligible, but couldn't price it, so transferred me to the international reissue desk, who ultimately booked me on KL 1572 / KL 651 (coded as KLM flights, not DL code shares) on a confirmed GUC. I didn't ask what the underlying fare code was but it definitely wasn't YBM at the price they charged. No mention of any policy change on Feb. 1 either.

So likely just another case of an agent not knowing the rules fully.

Last edited by NC17376; Feb 11, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: Typo; wrote deck when I meant desk
Old May 4, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Been having some issues where Z inventory on expert flyer isn't matching what Delta agents can see. Tried both twitter and on the phone - they can also see the Z inventory, but over half a dozen people have now told me that Z inventory has two sub-buckets, one for revenue and one for upgrades. Did something change, or am I just getting unlucky? Most of these people have even gotten to the point of reaching out to the KLM desk, which told them the same thing. I'm even able to get to the payment screen for a Z fare on my route on KLM's page, so the revenue Z seats are definitely available.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
Old May 4, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by krypttohk
Been having some issues where Z inventory on expert flyer isn't matching what Delta agents can see. Tried both twitter and on the phone - they can also see the Z inventory, but over half a dozen people have now told me that Z inventory has two sub-buckets, one for revenue and one for upgrades. Did something change, or am I just getting unlucky? Most of these people have even gotten to the point of reaching out to the KLM desk, which told them the same thing. I'm even able to get to the payment screen for a Z fare on my route on KLM's page, so the revenue Z seats are definitely available.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
What route are you flying? Do you have more than 1 KLM segment, and is space available on the married itinerary?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What route are you flying? Do you have more than 1 KLM segment, and is space available on the married itinerary?
SFO-AMS-JNB. Showing married Z2, but Z0/Z9 when done individually. Was previously showing individual but not married, which also didn't work. All in all quite odd.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:47 pm

SFO-AMS-JNB. Showing married Z2, but Z0/Z9 when done individually. Was previously showing individual but not married, which also didn't work. All in all quite odd.
(Both KLM to be clear)
Old May 4, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
(Both KLM to be clear)
And both flights are Delta marketed (meaning they have Delta flight numbers)?

If both flights have Delta flight numbers and there is married availability of Z=2, it should be available and you just need to keep calling until you get a competent person (which is harder and harder at DL these days, even at the DM Desk)
Old May 4, 2019, 11:21 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought. Definitely married availability of Z=2 on the KL flight numbers, and currently on DL coded. Frustrating that the JV desk is feeding them misinformation about there being multiple Z buckets. Do you think asking for the international reissue desk might help?
Old May 6, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Booked JFK-AMS and AMS-SLC. Both showed Z available. Went to book and agent got Z to confirm for JFK-AMS. However they said Z wouldn't confirm for AMS-SLC. Confirmed JFK-AMS, and then HUACA. Agent was able to confirm Z for AMS-SLC. Agent informed me this is common when switching from DL numbers to KLM . She said they have to do it as a multi step process. If they try and combibe two steps in one step, it can fail. Basically comes down to systems communicating information in certain order. Plus that KL coded flights need to be confirmed before any DL coded flights. Agent said even trying a long sell will fail if the steps aren't followed correctly, in order, and without combing steps.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Booked JFK-AMS and AMS-SLC. Both showed Z available. Went to book and agent got Z to confirm for JFK-AMS. However they said Z wouldn't confirm for AMS-SLC. Confirmed JFK-AMS, and then HUACA. Agent was able to confirm Z for AMS-SLC. Agent informed me this is common when switching from DL numbers to KLM . She said they have to do it as a multi step process. If they try and combibe two steps in one step, it can fail. Basically comes down to systems communicating information in certain order. Plus that KL coded flights need to be confirmed before any DL coded flights. Agent said even trying a long sell will fail if the steps aren't followed correctly, in order, and without combing steps.
This matches an experience I had recently. Even though I could see the Z on a properly coded return AMS-LAX KL flight, agent couldn’t. I took a leap of faith and let her ticket outbound upgrade anyway (I normally do this all within the 24h cancel window, but once you pull the SWU it’s gone, so there is a big risk level here). As soon as the outbound ticketing went through, she checked again and then bang, the Z was there and return upgrade was processed without issue.

It sounds like this could be what the OP is experiencing.
arunhn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.