Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 24 Hour Policy Really to Midnight the next day?

Old Jun 21, 16, 12:04 am
Original Poster

SW cancellation for full refund is exactly 24 hours. I would not think Delta would be more lenient than WN.. but am I reading something wrong.?

So this is their policy. I just booked Tuesday Morning at 1:30am (kind of Monday night) and reading this I think I have until midnight Wednesday which is almost 48 hours. I know I am probably reading it wrong knowing Delta.... but it sounds right

Code:
Risk-Free Cancellation
As part of our Customer Commitment, you can get a refund for most eTickets purchased directly through Delta. You don’t even have to call.
Once you've bought a qualifying eTicket, you have a day to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.
Here’s how it works:
Use your name and flight confirmation number to search for your itinerary. Then, cancel your eTicket. Your refund will be automatically applied to your original form of payment.
If you purchased your eTicket at a Delta ticket office or airport ticket counter, email your receipt number (beginning with 006) for a refund of the Direct Ticketing Charge.
See full terms and conditions for additional details. At this time Risk Free Cancellation for itineraries originating outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada cannot be completed online. Please contact Delta Reservations at 1-800-221-1212 or by using Delta’s Worldwide Phone Numbers.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Tickets/Cancellation:
Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first.Available only for eTickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta.com.
If you wish to pay for your ticket with any paper currency—such as cash, or check, Delta Dollars, or denied boarding voucher—you may make the reservation over the phone, which will guarantee the fare for 24 hours. Your ticket must be purchased at a Delta ticketing location by midnight of the following day, or your reservation will be cancelled. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-Free Cancellation policy.
Does not apply to travel agency tickets and bookings, paper tickets, or partially-flown reissued tickets.  For SkyMiles Award Tickets, please call Delta Reservations to request cancellation.
Miscellaneous:
Cancellation request does not need to go through the same area in which the eTicket was purchased. For example, if you purchase via Reservations, you can cancel through delta.com.
Fares, offers and rules are subject to change without notice.
RELATED LINKS
Ticket Changes & Refunds
Ticket Changes
Same Day Travel Changes
Ticket Changes
Exit European Union (EU) Compensation Request

Connect With Us
Mobile Apps Facebook opens in a new window Twitter opens in a new windowBlog
Get To Know Us
About DeltaCareers opens in a new windowNews HubLegalCookies, Privacy & SecurityCorporate Travel Travel Agents opens in a new windowAccessibility
Old Jun 21, 16, 12:45 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yes, you actually do have until midnight the next day to cancel for free, but you have to be careful, because, if you ticket at say, 1AM Eastern, it may be ticketed by, say, LAXRES, which is still on yesterday's date at 10PM.

You can still get them to cancel based on the time zone of the departure city, but, you will have to call in and ask, and possibly fight for it.

Old Jun 21, 16, 3:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Yup. Technically up to 47hrs and 59 minutes, if booked at 12:01a. This has worked for me before
Old Jun 21, 16, 5:03 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Yes, you actually do have until midnight the next day to cancel for free, but you have to be careful, because, if you ticket at say, 1AM Eastern, it may be ticketed by, say, LAXRES, which is still on yesterday's date at 10PM.

You can still get them to cancel based on the time zone of the departure city, but, you will have to call in and ask, and possibly fight for it.

+1 Be sure to check the ticket issue date on your receipt.
Old Jun 21, 16, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
+1 Be sure to check the ticket issue date on your receipt.
I issued an international ticket between 2-3 am eastern time and it was ticketed on the receipt on the previous day.

DM agent said that the ticketing server is in LAX but she claimed Risk Free Cancellation goes by the time zone you are located in when you book and that the system logs this from your IP.

She said if the ticketing server's date is still behind they can override and honor Risk Free Cancel. YMMV as this was the Medallion line after all.
Old Jun 21, 16, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'll sometimes deliberately wait until just after midnight if I think the extra time could be useful. When I've asked DM agents the question if what time zone counts for this, they basically say not to worry as they can easily give me until at least midnight in SLC.
Old Jun 21, 16, 6:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I issued an international ticket between 2-3 am eastern time and it was ticketed on the receipt on the previous day.

DM agent said that the ticketing server is in LAX but she claimed Risk Free Cancellation goes by the time zone you are located in when you book and that the system logs this from your IP.

She said if the ticketing server's date is still behind they can override and honor Risk Free Cancel. YMMV as this was the Medallion line after all.
I imagine they can override. I have trouble believing that the online cancelation tool is that smart though.
Old Jun 21, 16, 7:17 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Doesn't this apply to all the legacy carriers (DL, UA, and AA)? My understanding is that this is a legacy of the old computer reservation systems that allowed travel agents to cancel a ticket up until midnight the next day even before the DoT rule that required the airlines to offer this to all passengers.

As mentioned, just be careful on what midnight is ... I know with my corporate travel system if I book a ticket this morning for a trip, I can cancel it any time before tomorrow night, e.g., I'm waiting for a client to confirm everything is set but want to get my ticket booked.
Old Jun 21, 16, 8:37 am

I cancelled an award ticket reservation recently (not Plat yet) at about 2315 in SLC, where I was located / the origin of the ticket. The rep claimed it's based on Atlanta time, but offered to refund it as a 'one time courtesy' and said that in the future I needed to cancel by midnight EST.

Incidentally, the miles were initially redeposited two days later, but then were pulled back out the following day, and the fees have not been refunded. I haven't called back in to get it handled yet, but I don't anticipate any trouble getting it sorted.
Old Jun 21, 16, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Doesn't this apply to all the legacy carriers (DL, UA, and AA)? My understanding is that this is a legacy of the old computer reservation systems that allowed travel agents to cancel a ticket up until midnight the next day even before the DoT rule that required the airlines to offer this to all passengers.
I think AA is the odd exception. They comply with the dot rule by allowing you to *hold* the reservation for up to 24 hours before either cancelling it or ticketing it. But if you tell an AA agent to "ticket it now", that means you're waived the hold period, and there is no additional free cancel opportunity.
Old Jun 21, 16, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
I would not count on that with United. Their stated policy is 24 hours from your specific time of purchase. And AA complies with DOT with the hold feature. DL's policy is more lenient and I do appreciate it (and use it)!
Old Jun 21, 16, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I think AA is the odd exception. They comply with the dot rule by allowing you to *hold* the reservation for up to 24 hours before either cancelling it or ticketing it. But if you tell an AA agent to "ticket it now", that means you're waived the hold period, and there is no additional free cancel opportunity.
AA changed their policy in April:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-but-read.html
Old Jun 21, 16, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Good to know. I haven't booked AA in a while.
Old May 16, 17, 1:15 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Can anybody clarify exactly what time zone Delta uses for this purpose?

I'm wondering as I am located in Europe and want to know the exact risk-free cancelation cutoffs for domestic tickets that I'm booking on the west coast.
Old May 16, 17, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
They can override depending on where you say your at. However the system goes by ATL time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: