Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Many times in the past, I would make my reservations with SMS, put them on hold, and try to see if the ground portions of my journey will work before ticketing. Now apparently flights reserved through SMS need to be ticketed and cannot be held, although apparently cancellable within 24 hours. This website enhancement puts tickets booked via the web on the same footing... cancellable within 24 hours.
Weren't you allowed to hold for 48hrs? I think I'd prefer holding at no cost for 48hrs over a 24hr refund policy most of the time. I'm sure it makes much of a difference for me personally.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Weren't you allowed to hold for 48hrs? I think I'd prefer holding at no cost for 48hrs over a 24hr refund policy most of the time.
One was allowed to hold a reservation for up to 48 hours without purchasing a ticket. If the reservation was not confirmed with full payment of the airfare, the reservation simply automatically cancelled.

I may be mistaken, but the way I understand this new policy, one may purchase a ticket and yet cancel the ticket within 24 hours of the purchase without penalty. After 24 hours, standard penalties for cancelling a purchase apply.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:33 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Ah, so you have discovered the new automated MR search function!

DD

Heh...it sure seems like it.

Last night, I once again tried to price a 1-way JFK-BWI itinerary and this time, the cheapest fare that was displayed turned out to actually be an open-jaw RT to PBI (actual routing JFK-PBI-ATL-BWI).

Heck, it even gave me a similar itinerary when I switched LGA for JFK.......whereas a few weeks ago, all I would get when I used LGA was an error message that said that there were NO scheduled flights between LGA and BWI (something I'm well aware of :P ).

Oh well, for $138.60 all-in.....I ended up booking a LGA-FLL-ATL-BWI itinerary (1 Song and 2 mainline segments) via the "old" method (multi-city).

A.J.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
I was going to start a thread on this, but will weave it into this one as several posts here have touched on this general subject.

I've noticed recently that I'm not getting all the flight options available for a certain itinerary, even if I know they exist. Here's the most recent example.

I did this for a FC ATL/SRQ with a specific time of 12PM.
I know there is such a flight available in both directions, and with seats available. It comes back and gives me a 10AM flight on the outbound and the noon one that I want on the return. That is the only option I get. However, if I then go in and try doing a one-way down to SRQ with the same time it does give me the 12PM flight option, along with the 10AM one. In fact, there are 5 of the 14 FC seats shown as available. If it can give me this option on the one-way, then obviously it is also available on the outbound of an out and back. Therefore, why isn't it giving me the option I specifically ask for?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:44 am

From a salesmanship prosspective this helps them close the deal. Any salesman would rather charge your credit card today and offer a refund tomorrow than hold the sale for you hoping you will follow through tomorrow. I think this one is smart business. Even better would be if they would wait 24 hours before running the charge against your card or give you that option.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atl runner
I was going to start a thread on this, but will weave it into this one as several posts here have touched on this general subject.

I've noticed recently that I'm not getting all the flight options available for a certain itinerary, even if I know they exist. Here's the most recent example.

I know there is such a flight available in both directions, and with seats available. It comes back and gives me a 10AM flight on the outbound and the noon one that I want on the return. That is the only option I get. However, if I then go in and try doing a one-way down to SRQ with the same time it does give me the 12PM flight option, along with the 10AM one. In fact, there are 5 of the 14 FC seats shown as available. If it can give me this option on the one-way, then obviously it is also available on the outbound of an out and back. Therefore, why isn't it giving me the option I specifically ask for?
I'm having similar problems. I was trying to book SLC-EWR. The cheapest fare it was giving me was with connections in ATL, and it was $481. I could not get the non-stops to show no matter what I did. (I assumed they were sold out) Thank god for may travel agent. Somehow she booked me on the non-stops on the same dates I was looking for with a "U" on the outboud and a "L" on the return, and cheaper! $380. DL.com was showing combos of "L" and "K" with all kinds of stupid connections (3hr layovers, etc)

They need to show the non-stops with all the other stupid flights they want to sell leisure travelers, so we can see and book them.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by atl runner

I was screwing something very simple up here so this specific problem was my fault, which I have now corrected, thanks to a nice woman at the DAL on-line help desk.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
"Delta has eliminated the 24-hour hold option"

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I was shocked to hear this from SMS today. I was told that I have to buy the ticket and then, if I want, I can cancel it within 24 hours. But there is no more courtesy hold.

If true, this is yet another enhancement that we didn't ask for. Leo's spirit is alive and well.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:58 pm Reason: This milepost, as well as the next milepost, was merged into this thread unedited. You are forgiven, vasantn...
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
But if you buy a ticket, even online, you have 24 hours to cancel and get a refund. It matches a NW policy that I think is pretty fair. Then again, my glass is half-full.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:36 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:14 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I personally think this new book-em now/cancel within 24 hours policy stinks. Considering that most of my flights are international and multi-stop, I often need to confirm my plans with my customers post-booking but pre-ticketing. Trying to get an answer overseas in 24 hours and trying to utilize PMUs on top of it, it's all just starting to get too complicated.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:55 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
A quick question, if I were to buy a ticket departing from LAX at 9:30pm PDT on Friday, does that give you until 12:00am Sunday or 12:00am Monday. Maybe more simply, does Delta base this on Eastern Time, or the time zone of your departure city? I called SMS and she put me on hold for a few minutes while she asked a few people and she could not come up with an answer. Her guess was that it was based on Eastern Time, but she wasn't sure.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL MM
Is Delta is honoring its risk-free cancellation policy?

Hi all:

I’ll like your collective wisdom upon this situation.

I’d used the Delta.com website to buy a DL ticket on Mon (Oct 17th). The e-mailed confirmation indicated that a paper ticket will be issued. So far so good ...

According to the Delta website’s "Low Fare Promise" page , there’s a risk-free cancellation policy which states
If you find a lower fare somewhere else or your travel plans change, you can visit delta.com and get a full refund for certain tickets purchased directly from Delta—no penalties, no questions. How’s that for flexible?
The footnote to this states:
Valid for tickets purchased at the time of reservation directly from Delta for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first.
On Tuesday (Oct 18th) evening, I needed to cancel the paid-for ticket, and called DL to cancel the paid-for ticket, and to obtain a full refund. As far as I can tell, I'd fulfilled the conditions stated in the risk-free cancellation policy, i.e.

1) The ticket was purchased directly from DL for travel originating in the US. Note: a paper ticket was issued because it had international segments on code-share partners.
2) The cancellation request was requested prior to the midnight of the day (on Tue) after the ticket was purchased (on Mon).

However the CSR said that there's a US$150 cancellation fee. When I referred to the "Low Fare Promise"'s risk-free cancellation policy, the lady said it doesn't apply to paper tickets. I pointed out that the "Low Fare Promise" page did not specifically exclude paper tickets, and she demurred.

After many back-and-forth's, (I kept calm because she's just doing her job, and very professionally too), I'd asked her to document that I questioned the need to pay the cancellation fee, which contradicts the "Low Fare Promise" section on risk-free cancellation. Despite the $150 cancellation fee, I still proceeded to cancel because my travel plans changed.

Do you think DL is honoring its risk-free cancellation policy? And what do you think I should do? Thanks, all!

Last edited by stuck_in_mco; Oct 18, 2005 at 10:25 pm Reason: I paid via credit card on the DL website.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Assuming you bought it on the website, and paid with credit card, I would say they owe you money.

And, I would guess that the agent did not know what she was talking about.

There is a part that you might be close to, and maybe that is what she is confused with??

"If you wish to pay for your ticket with any paper currency—such as cash, or check, or denied boarding voucher—you may make the reservation over the phone, which will guarantee the fare for 24 hours. Your ticket must be purchased at a Delta ticketing location by midnight of the following day, or your reservation will be cancelled. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-Free Cancellation policy."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.