Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Second card on Delta Reserve - no free SkyClub access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second card on Delta Reserve - no free SkyClub access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
This new information that has come to light is VERY interesting, and welcome.

My SC membership expires Jan 31 (as I will drop to PM for 2017). I was bummed because I thought I'd be paying both the $450 fee (for me, tied to my Delta #) and the $175 (for my wife's card...she uses it more than I do to get us to the $25K, now to be $30K spend level for the bonus MQM --- and the MQD waiver).

As I read all this thread, it looks like I can upgrade to Reserve and she can keep her current secondary card as the regular Delta Amex, and all our combined spending goes towards the MQM bonus and the MQD waiver. Excellent!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So

If anyone from AMEX and/or Delta is reading this by chance...any system that confuses half your customers, AND many of your employees probably could use some revision. I (think) I understand it, but it confuses this many people, you should be considering making the free companion card a different color or something....
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gretchendz
If anyone from AMEX and/or Delta is reading this by chance...any system that confuses half your customers, AND many of your employees probably could use some revision. I (think) I understand it, but it confuses this many people, you should be considering making the free companion card a different color or something....
What do you mean by "free companion card"? Do you mean the $175 additional DL Reserve card for lounge access? The free additional card for the Reserve (which does not provide lounge access) is just a DL Platinum card and thus can easily be distinguished from the $175 additional Reserve.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes but

Originally Posted by LBJ
What do you mean by "free companion card"? Do you mean the $175 additional DL Reserve card for lounge access? The free additional card for the Reserve (which does not provide lounge access) is just a DL Platinum card and thus can easily be distinguished from the $175 additional Reserve.
I understand it...but it seems to be a continued source of confusion/consternation for folks (both customers and staff)...just saying that when such is the case, it may behoove them to come up with a simpler solution that people understand better.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If anyone from AMEX and/or Delta is reading this by chance...any system that confuses half your customers, AND many of your employees probably could use some revision.
Unless it's by design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusopoly
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand it...but it seems to be a continued source of confusion/consternation for folks (both customers and staff)...just saying that when such is the case, it may behoove them to come up with a simpler solution that people understand better.
You didn't answer the question about what you see as the source of confusion. An additional Plat card can be easily distinguished from an additional Reserve card. The employees don't have to rely on any visual recognition as the scanner will tell them whether or not you are entitled to access. It's not like they will allow you in the lounge by just flashing a card.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:35 am

For anyone considering an upgrade from Delta Platinum to Reserve, there is a bonus in play right now until January 26--- 5,000 MQM and 5,000 skypesos after a $2,000 spend in the first 3 months from upgrade.

I just upgraded...Spoke with Connie at the Amex call center...She was very knowledgable and familiar with all the ins and outs of the secondary card options (i.e., Reserve or Platinum).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by FrontRow
For anyone considering an upgrade from Delta Platinum to Reserve, there is a bonus in play right now until January 26--- 5,000 MQM and 5,000 skypesos after a $2,000 spend in the first 3 months from upgrade.

I just upgraded...Spoke with Connie at the Amex call center...She was very knowledgable and familiar with all the ins and outs of the secondary card options (i.e., Reserve or Platinum).
Are you talking about upgrading the primary cardholder or just an additional user?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by omarr
Are you talking about upgrading the primary cardholder or just an additional user?
Primary. We're getting way off track here.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Primary. We're getting way off track here.
Correct...bonus is for the primary cardholder.

This is a real bonus for me, as well as allowing my wife (rarely flies) to keep her secondary card as a regular delta platinum--saving me the additional $175 fee. I'll get 20K MQM bonus in 2017, and possibly 35K. All while having SC access after dropping to PM.

Just wanted to share that the upgrade bonus is there, but only until the 26th.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

I now have 4 ways to get into a SC - When I buy a D1 ticket, With my Diamond status, with my Amex Plat and with my DL Amex. Yet only I can enter No guests

You'd think there'd be some quid pro quo for having 4 ways to enter.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:37 pm

Yeah I always wonder at Bed Bath and Beyond..why don't they take 5 coupons of 20% off each and give me something for free. I have so many of them...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Bringing back this old thread...

The holder of the secondary (paid) Delta Reserve card does not need to be traveling with the primary cardholder in order to get access to the SkyClub, correct? Usually, my wife and I fly together, but she's on Delta next month with a girlfriend and I wanted to confirm my wife can access the SkyClub with just her boarding pass and AmEx card.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kchoya

The holder of the secondary (paid) Delta Reserve card does not need to be traveling with the primary cardholder in order to get access to the SkyClub, correct? Usually, my wife and I fly together, but she's on Delta next month with a girlfriend and I wanted to confirm my wife can access the SkyClub with just her boarding pass and AmEx card.
Correct, no need to be flying with primary cardholder.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 13, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kchoya

Is your wife going to ditch her girlfriend for the SC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.