Kids meals in D1?

Old Jun 13, 16, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Kids meals in D1?

During the D1 flash sale a couple of weeks ago I was able to upfare our already bought coach tickets to AMS this summer for about 200 bucks ea.

Yesterday Mrs. Woodenshoe asked if i was planning on requesting a kids meal for the little clogs (6 & 4). It hadn't occurred to me and I usually order them the kids meal when in coach. I tried searching if the kids meal is different in D1 vs coach but came up empty. Phone agents are clueless too (they just quote the website).

Does anyone have any experience with kids meals in D1? Both kids will generally eat pasta and both directions has a pasta option. If the D1 kids meal is the same soggy chicken nuggets and dry potatoes as in coach I'll probably skip it.

(Also - yes, the little clogs are behaved little travelers)
Old Jun 13, 16, 8:33 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post
During the D1 flash sale a couple of weeks ago I was able to upfare our already bought coach tickets to AMS this summer for about 200 bucks ea.

Yesterday Mrs. Woodenshoe asked if i was planning on requesting a kids meal for the little clogs (6 & 4). It hadn't occurred to me and I usually order them the kids meal when in coach. I tried searching if the kids meal is different in D1 vs coach but came up empty. Phone agents are clueless too (they just quote the website).

Does anyone have any experience with kids meals in D1? Both kids will generally eat pasta and both directions has a pasta option. If the D1 kids meal is the same soggy chicken nuggets and dry potatoes as in coach I'll probably skip it.

I have never seen a kids meal in D1. They are eating off the adult menu as far as I know. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 13, 16, 9:08 pm

Shows how infrequently kids sit in D1 that Delta have no menu for them.
Nice that they have the opportunity though.
I have only walked past D1 seats myself.
It's always the back of the plane for me and my family except for the occasional domestic 1st class upgrades.
Old Jun 13, 16, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Family of four with 2 kids under 10 on my last D1 flight. Mom just ordered the pasta dish for them, with no apps. Don't know if they have a special menu.
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:03 am

You can select the kids meal option for them online. Just like any other special meal request.
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 7thgreen View Post
You can select the kids meal option for them online. Just like any other special meal request.
That does nothing to answer the question. He obviously knows how to order a kids meal. However wants to know if D1 Kids meal is different from Y. I find most special meals are the same regardless of cabin. Sad, but it's hard to justify having two different versions of each special meal. For kids I'd just select the pasta option on board if you don't want what you're used to for them.
Old Jun 14, 16, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I find most special meals are the same regardless of cabin.
This was my gut feeling as well. As the kids are getting older they become less selective which is a good thing. The kid meal in coach is terrible (from an adult perspective) and if it's the same across cabins, they can eat pasta (but get the D1 dining experience - which I'm sure they'll appreciate).
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post

Just traveled DTW-MUC with a 5 year old who elected (mother's will) to have the Children's menu in D1. Here's a quick rundown of what he was served.

Flight to DTW (breakfast):

french toast, and the rest of the standard fare

DTW - MUC (dinner):

Appetizer: Cheese, crackers, grapes, orange-chocolate mousse, other snacks

Dinner - Chicken nuggets, cooked carrots, some starch

The rest of the meals were kid oriented. The worst one was probably the return snack as we approached DTW; there was some sort of sandwich with onions and other non-child friendly food.
Old Jun 14, 16, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by publicmsu View Post
Just traveled DTW-MUC with a 5 year old who elected (mother's will) to have the Children's menu in D1. Here's a quick rundown of what he was served.

DTW - MUC (dinner):

The rest of the meals were kid oriented. The worst one was probably the return snack as we approached DTW; there was some sort of sandwich with onions and other non-child friendly food.
Thanks for posting that. Dinner does indeed sound like the same kid's meal as in coach.
Old Jun 14, 16, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Have you tried an email to customer service? They might have a bit more time to research the question than the average phone agent. I wouldn't hold my breath, but the information exists somewhere and it would just take a few minutes to locate it. Typically, each airline's reservations system should have sample/example menus for each type of special meal by cabin. It's a question of finding someone who will take the time to look it up.
Old Jun 14, 16, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Have you tried an email to customer service?
Is this the sort of question the Twitter acct might be able to assist with? Usually that service gets good reviews.....
Old Jun 14, 16, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Is this the sort of question the Twitter acct might be able to assist with? Usually that service gets good reviews.....

I tried @delta, they didn't have the information.
Old Jun 14, 16, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Woodenshoe - please let us know how the kids meal in D1 was if you decide to go that route after your flights.
I'll be flying D1 with my 4-year old in Nov, was trying to decide the same thing (whether ot get him the pasta from the D1 menu, or a pre-ordered Kid's Meal).
Old Jun 15, 16, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
Woodenshoe - please let us know how the kids meal in D1 was if you decide to go that route after your flights.
I'll be flying D1 with my 4-year old in Nov, was trying to decide the same thing (whether ot get him the pasta from the D1 menu, or a pre-ordered Kid's Meal).
I think publicmsu's post clarified for me that the (main) kid's meal is no different than in coach (and presumably the same quality), but there are the usual D1 add-ons (fruit, cheese, crackers, dessert cart, etc). Mrs. Woodenshoe decided we should stick with the pasta. Since she's flying outbound by herself with the kids, I'm not going to argue .
Old Jun 15, 16, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by publicmsu View Post

DTW - MUC (dinner):

When did chocolate mousse become an appetizer?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: