Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improve or stop the current earbuds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think you have the marketing backwards if you think it is Woodford that needs a boost from DL. Especially given that Bourbon currently sells itself.
No, you are the one have marketing backwards. Even the best brands do this type of marketing efforts. You attack people for no reason and argue on things you clearly have no real experiences with. A lot of in-cabin products are given or sold at low margin as a way to market their products. Many brands would actually compete for that opportunity.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many ways to look at this when it comes to drinks and booze. Delta and Coke are said to have an incredibly intricate relationship that goes back practically to the start of both companies. From what I understand Coke, at least in the US provided drinks at cost to Delta, so you are talking pennies a can. Regarding booze, it depends what the booze companies are pushing. They do not give away the standards for free, they do not need to, however as I referenced above, we are talking standard prices of no more than 50 cents per bottle. OTOH if they are pushing something, be it Amarula, a new type of Vodka or whatever, they will essentially give that for free, or discount everything as part of the deal. Things have to be beneficial for Delta however. Remember when there were tons of free magazines on board, those great title's like "Working Mother" or "Black Entrepeneur"? Delta figured that the fuel cost of lugging them around, and the disinterest of most passengers was not worth it.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by wlau
No, you are the one have marketing backwards. Even the best brands do this type of marketing efforts. You attack people for no reason and argue on things you clearly have no real experiences with. A lot of in-cabin products are given or sold at low margin as a way to market their products. Many brands would actually compete for that opportunity.
For sample-size bottles of hand lotion? Sure. That's a tiny cost to SuperSoftXYZ Hand Cream, and hopefully they sell a lot more, since people buy hand cream frequently.

For earbuds? Purchases are infrequent, and branding only matters at a high level. I wouldn't be surprised if Bose sold their headsets for nothing, or even paid, to have them issued in D1 and similar classes, as a marketing tool. No similar option at the giveaway and never get back level of free coach earbuds.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
For sample-size bottles of hand lotion? Sure. That's a tiny cost to SuperSoftXYZ Hand Cream, and hopefully they sell a lot more, since people buy hand cream frequently.

For earbuds? Purchases are infrequent, and branding only matters at a high level. I wouldn't be surprised if Bose sold their headsets for nothing, or even paid, to have them issued in D1 and similar classes, as a marketing tool. No similar option at the giveaway and never get back level of free coach earbuds.
Don't think I've ever seen Bose branded headsets in D1
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:11 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hfly
Delta figured that the fuel cost of lugging them around, and the disinterest of most passengers was not worth it.
So, you're saying that Woodford is slated to be eliminated?!?!?

Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by appleguru
Don't think I've ever seen Bose branded headsets in D1
I had thought they were Bose, but apologies for the error. I'm pretty sure AA gives them out, as does VS.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I had thought they were Bose, but apologies for the error. I'm pretty sure AA gives them out, as does VS.
Yes, Delta's are Delta branded noise cancelling over the ear headphones that appear to be the same model used on some other airlines (Rebranded Coby CV195 or CV198?)... They're quite uncomfortable IMO. Would be great if they partnered with someone like Bose and used headsets that were comfortable at least ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.