Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Safety Video — and New Video Featuring Ed Bastian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold

The music is kind of annoying and I personally don't like all the different people talking at the begining. Miss the humor of the old ones, but not some of the most recent ones.

Last edited by BostonPlanesAndTrains; Jun 1, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Some observations:

• First, I particularly enjoy the fact that the video does not start out with Richard Anderson telling me that he "has my back."

• I prefer the straightforward messaging. Yes, the humor was nice. But, I have been concerned before that the content incorporating internet memes and other US cultural themes might be confusing and distracting to folks not from the US. This US-centric content is out of place on flights that have a very high percentage of non-US pax... e.g., flights to and from Asia, where the underlying humor of the clip of the fellow in the cowboy hat hanging an enormous belt buckle on his seat belt buckle would likely be of no significance to many aboard... and might distract them from the intended message.

• The music track tends to overwhelm the voice track and, I have to say it, this complicates hearing the message for some of the speakers' accents.

• With or without humor, I still wish airline safety videos were more direct in their messaging. Telling someone to inflate their personal flotation device after leaving the airplane is not the appropriate message. The appropriate message should be "Make sure that you don't inflate the PFD until after you exit the plane."
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
All I can say is that I will be SOOO happy to not have to listen to the damn "Safteys" again!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some observations:

• First, I particularly enjoy the fact that the video does not start out with Richard Anderson telling me that he "has my back."

• I prefer the straightforward messaging. Yes, the humor was nice. But, I have been concerned before that the content incorporating internet memes and other US cultural themes might be confusing and distracting to folks not from the US. This US-centric content is out of place on flights that have a very high percentage of non-US pax... e.g., flights to and from Asia, where the underlying humor of the clip of the fellow in the cowboy hat hanging an enormous belt buckle on his seat belt buckle would likely be of no significance to many aboard... and might distract them from the intended message.

• The music track tends to overwhelm the voice track and, I have to say it, this complicates hearing the message for some of the speakers' accents.

• With or without humor, I still wish airline safety videos were more direct in their messaging. Telling someone to inflate their personal flotation device after leaving the airplane is not the appropriate message. The appropriate message should be "Make sure that you don't inflate the PFD until after you exit the plane."
Agreed
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sky303
All I can say is that I will be SOOO happy to not have to listen to the damn "Safteys" again!
agreed also
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is the best safety video since the 2005 version. Delta has finally made a change for the better.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Delta's safety videos really "jumped the shark" with that iteration. Simply painful to watch.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MS02113
Delta's safety videos really "jumped the shark" with that iteration. Simply painful to watch.
Not to mention the fact that it's playing months after the Oscars. Cringe city.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I just finished my first two of six Delta flights for the next two weeks and was dreading having to watch The Safeties again.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I like the general idea, and really think it is nice to feature crew from around the world.

A few thoughts:

1) It is really hard to hear what they are saying, they need to edit the music to be softer, though I imagine there will sub-titles.

2) I found it odd that I did not see any Delta branding on any of the seats....no C+ stitching and no premium seats at all. What plane did they film this on?

3) Did I miss it or was there no mention about smoking?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This is the best safety video since the 2005 version. Delta has finally made a change for the better.
Totally agree! The previous ones with animated characters were so unprofessional. Delta is an international airlines. This video better represents such.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Not to mention the fact that it's playing months after the Oscars. Cringe city.
The worst/laziest part about it IMO was that they reused so much footage from the Internet memes video that didn't make as much sense in the context of the Safeties.

So glad to have the new one.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some observations:

There is already an Ed Bastian introduction where it looked like the employees are standing in a giant widget.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:37 pm

It gets the job done and isn't annoying like the others, but this version is very cold and impersonal. The production quality also isn't very good, with the voices being difficult to understand and the laziness of filming in front of a green screen and minimal effort put into making the flight attendants look like they're not just floating on a fake background. They could have played into some of the themes of their TV ads, with the bold text and scenic imagery of aircraft taking flight, but clearly didn't want to bother actually making anything good.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
It gets the job done and isn't annoying like the others, but this version is very cold and impersonal. The production quality also isn't very good, with the voices being difficult to understand and the laziness of filming in front of a green screen and minimal effort put into making the flight attendants look like they're not just floating on a fake background. They could have played into some of the themes of their TV ads, with the bold text and scenic imagery of aircraft taking flight, but clearly didn't want to bother actually making anything good.
It's a video to ignore. There is nothing visually interesting such as humor, sex appeal, or an interesting background to keep anyone interested in watching it. Thumbs down to this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.