Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Flew ATL-LAX on Sunday 12/02. Enormously long upgrade list, and even with my RUC waitlisted I was #5 for 0 seats. We were nearly closed up for departure, and an FA walked to the back of the aircraft and returned to the front with two passengers. I checked the upgrade list on my app and the first two on the list had cleared presumably due to no-shows.

Battlefield upgrades out of ATL are rare, so I was glad to see it happen even though I remained stuck in coach.
Yeah, so hit and miss in ATL.

Last Wednesday, the earthquake woke everyone up early and I couldn't fall back asleep so I called in the PM line. Flew to LAX early...
Anyway, CSR confirms me on the early flight (no standby), but 0 C+.

Talk to the GA when I arrive, and I'm thinking I've got no hope for the big seat but I'm 1 of ____ for C+, so I'll wait.

They tell me go ahead and board, and they'll get me, etc. etc. and I say I've got a good feeling. I get cleared about T-25 or 20. Get on... other C+ seats were empty and stayed empty. No battlefield UGs.

I'm convinced at this point that there are no C+ UGs unless there is a corresponding F UG. I'll probably have more YBYL with C+ as GM next year... I think the drinks are worth the wait. This is my ATL experience for sure.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
My first experience playing the YBYL game is a win. I was seated way in the bowels of the plane to DCA, having incurred a delay on my flight to ATL and missing my original connection.

At boarding time I was 4/37 for 0 and I waited in SC until general boarding was winding down. After going to the gate, I approached the GA and asked whether FC had boarded full. She said one hadn't yet showed. This was T - 20 min and I said I'd wait and could move quickly if needed, either to my assigned seat in Y or my desired seat in FC. I had no luggage (just a purse) and waited there while the stragglers with tight connection ran along and boarded. The GA said the remaining FC pax had checked in late, only just in time to make the cut so she had no idea where they were or whether they would make it. Makes me think it was an ATL-based pax rather than a connector, and s/he got caught in traffic or at security.

At T-10 min + 30 sec, the GA said "only 30 sec to go" and at exactly T-10 min, she pinged me in and gave me my BP for 5D. I took my seat quickly and the flight closed, and off we went. No Shena, just an unclaimed seat given to someone with no overhead, no hassle. I have to say it is the most enjoyable UG I ever got.
pvn and hi55us like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
My first experience playing the YBYL game is a win. I was seated way in the bowels of the plane to DCA, having incurred a delay on my flight to ATL and missing my original connection.

At boarding time I was 4/37 for 0 and I waited in SC until general boarding was winding down. After going to the gate, I approached the GA and asked whether FC had boarded full. She said one hadn't yet showed. This was T - 20 min and I said I'd wait and could move quickly if needed, either to my assigned seat in Y or my desired seat in FC. I had no luggage (just a purse) and waited there while the stragglers with tight connection ran along and boarded. The GA said the remaining FC pax had checked in late, only just in time to make the cut so she had no idea where they were or whether they would make it. Makes me think it was an ATL-based pax rather than a connector, and s/he got caught in traffic or at security.

At T-10 min + 30 sec, the GA said "only 30 sec to go" and at exactly T-10 min, she pinged me in and gave me my BP for 5D. I took my seat quickly and the flight closed, and off we went. No Shena, just an unclaimed seat given to someone with no overhead, no hassle. I have to say it is the most enjoyable UG I ever got.
I love it!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Witnessed it twice this past weekend. Friday on DTW/ORD I was number 1 of 0 seats and just boarded with premium since it was an RJ and having bin space was a lot more a lot more important to me than an upgrade on a 45 minute flight and the GA came on board and pulled me and I think there was someone waiting at the gate hoping for a no-show who had a platinum tag on his bag who was waiting by the gate when I boarded with Prem that boarded just before they shut the door who had to pink tag his bag because there was no bin space. Was great to see the GA pull me when someone below me waited at the gate even though it was a short flight. Yesterday at MDW a GA came on board and pulled someone from coach who was next on the list even though the flight was delayed by a half hour so some GA's are following the correct procedure.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I remember being a newly-minted FO at the beginning of my frequent travel career in ~ Oct. 2008 hoping for a nice FC upgrade on an ATL-LAX flight. The GA calmly advised me to just hold tight in the gate area until boarding was complete. I watched the last pax board the packed 763 and he handed me my new BP for F, and gave me a subtle fist-bump and I was the last one down the jetway. A nice welcome to some kind of elevated status at Delta.

But that was when the economy was literally crashing and we were at risk for a systemic meltdown of the global financial system. I guess that thinned the ranks a bit and allowed FOs to have more than a snowball's chance in Hades, esp. in ATL.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
New Years day, Phx to MSP, long upgrade list. 15 minutes before take off, a standby person (presume non-rev) was given a first class seat. We were way down the upgrade list, but had I been #1 , I would have been pissed. Doors closed 10 minutes early, so the agent had plenty of time to upgrade someone.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie

Technically it's Shena if you bypassed someone on the UG list but then again YBYL is inconsistent.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Technically it's Shena if you bypassed someone on the UG list
uh, no it's not
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
uh, no it's not
Agreed. If they were in the boarding area, the three individuals in front of the F recipient should have stuck around the gate and they could have been rightfully next in line. Hence the whole definition of the thread title.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
uh, no it's not
How? If the GA was planning on doing an onboard UG than the OP would have been told no because he/she wasn’t #1 on the list. The only time I’ll ever try and wait and see if there is a possibility of a no show is if I am 1 or 2 on the list, but never as far down as #4. Some GAs are rude enough when I ask about the possibility of a no show when I am #1 on the list so I wouldn’t even want to try it as #4 as I would probably get laughed at especially with some of ATL’s finest GAs.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

How? If the GA was planning on doing an onboard UG than the OP would have been told no because he/she wasn’t #1 on the list. The only time I’ll ever try and wait and see if there is a possibility of a no show is if I am 1 or 2 on the list, but never as far down as #4. Some GAs are rude enough when I ask about the possibility of a no show when I am #1 on the list so I wouldn’t even want to try it as #4 as I would probably get laughed at especially with some of ATL’s finest GAs.
Why do you care whether some random ATL GA that you'll probably never see again laughs at you for asking a question?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why do you care whether some random ATL GA that you'll probably never see again laughs at you for asking a question?
I really don’t care if a GA laughs at me but it just seems irrational to ask about the possibility of no shows when I’m not #1 or #2 on the list as the odds of more than 2 no shows is possible but very unlikely. Now if I’m #1 or #2 on the list, I will inquire about no shows every time.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by charlesdemar
Agreed. If they were in the boarding area, the three individuals in front of the F recipient should have stuck around the gate and they could have been rightfully next in line. Hence the whole definition of the thread title.
It is sheena if number one on the upgrade asks the agent if they'll pull them if there is a no show. If I'm #1 or 2 on the upgrade list I'll ask the agent if I should board first and if they'll pull me or if I should stand by the gate. If they tell me they'll pull me and then I expect them to come on board and pull me if there is a no show instead of giving it to someone who wasn't entitled to the upgrade waiting at the gate. Now if the agent tells me they won't guarantee they'll come on board or to wait by the gate then I wouldn't consider it sheena if I went ahead and boarded anyway.

United and American has no problems coming on board to pull the next person, not sure why delta does
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

The fact that you're not willing to do teamboardlast if you're #4 doesn't make it sheena.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by charlesdemar
Exacfly. I had no connection to anybody at the gate or to DL in general, just a FF DM willing to stay at the gate in case there was a no-show because I had no need for OH bin space or to be on board any time before the flight closed. If #1-3 on the UG list had not boarded or if the FC pax had shown up 10 min before flight closed, I would have been happy (well not happy but ok) taking my seat in non-C+, non-preferred coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.