Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL128 SEA-LAX this morning — GA came on board ~T-10 to bring a couple up to 2C/D
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by acrophobia
In roughly 100 flights since YBYL was supposedly relaxed, I’ve yet to see anyone upgraded once on the plane (including myself, and I’m often #1 for 0 seats in first).
Not to deny your experience that you have not seen any, but I have seen it several times while passing thru LAX in the Feb-March time frame. At least once was myself, which I passed on to move up front as I was already in a row by myself just behind 1st and it was only 1 hour flight. Actually she had to ask 2 others before someone wanted to move. But I would agree that it does seem its still too much of a "loose goose" policy. Too much wiggle room, in a way I like to just assume if I board, I give up the possible spot upgrade.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
SJC-ATL last night the entire plane had completely boarded by T-5 except for me and my companion and they STILL hadn't cleared the upgrades, but they'd cleared the standby list at T-15. The flight was already 45 minutes behind schedule. We were #1&2, so we asked about them clearing the upgrades and waited outside the door until they cleared us before boarding. They'd already changed my seat assignment in C+ while we were waiting and moved me away from my companion so I wasn't going to take that new seat. After we boarded the GA gave a barely legible note to the FA's so that they could go to the back and pull people up after we'd gotten airborne. Two seats ended up staying empty even though there were plenty of folks on the UG list. The GA also said there'd be no PDB's because there was no time, but there was clearly plenty of time with all the confusion and back and forth.

Honestly I've never seen a gate crew (including a red coat) and cabin crew seem so disorganized, confused and inept. I was a little peeved, but it was more funny than anything else. If we hadn't insisted on the UG's clearing before boarding I'm not sure if they would've brought us up, and I would've been in a seat I didn't choose.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:46 pm

@gotmilk8 your certainly persistent and seems that paid off for sure that time, worth it for a x-country flight
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Not to deny your experience that you have not seen any, but I have seen it several times while passing thru LAX in the Feb-March time frame. At least once was myself, which I passed on to move up front as I was already in a row by myself just behind 1st and it was only 1 hour flight. Actually she had to ask 2 others before someone wanted to move. But I would agree that it does seem its still too much of a "loose goose" policy. Too much wiggle room, in a way I like to just assume if I board, I give up the possible spot upgrade.
Interestingly, in the old YBYL days, IMO LAX was one of the few airports where the GAs, time permitting, seemed to actually keep to the original list.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:48 pm

A very frustrated experience at JFK today.

I am PM with RUC applied on a 767 to SFO today. #4 on the list with three remaining D1 seat just prior to departure. Then the first three on the UG list cleared and I became #1 . Zero D1 seat remained throughout the boarding, but immediately after cabin door closed, D1 became 1. In retrospect I should have probably stayed at the boarding area, but I didn't want to risk gate-checking my luggage with my cameras and lenses in it.

To add insult to injury, GA actually boarded the plane and called out names in the Y cabin, presumably to check if they are onboard. Also the flight departure time was moved 5 min. ahead of the original schedule and the flight is expected to arrive one hour early into SFO. Can't fathom why the GA doesn't even bother the UG.

I have filed a complaint through Delta website (no response yet) and Twitter. The twitter team offered me 10,000 SkyMiles, which I respectfully declined. Will keep you posted what I eventually got (unless NDAs kick in).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Currently sitting on DL818 from ATL-RDU and the door just closed with 3C empty and 26 pax still on the UG list. What’s even more sad is that we finished boarding 15 mins early and the GA came on and counted the empty seats but no one was moved up.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Currently sitting on DL818 from ATL-RDU and the door just closed with 3C empty and 26 pax still on the UG list. What’s even more sad is that we finished boarding 15 mins early and the GA came on and counted the empty seats but no one was moved up.
Please report this to DL.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
The GA's at SFO will usually come on board as happened to me on Wednesday night this week....I was #1 of 43 for 0 seats for the D1 cabin, on the 10.45pm departure from SFO>JFK, operated by a 75S. I approached the GA prior to the commencement of boarding, gave her my info, she said there was still 1 passenger who hadn't checked-in yet, and this was at 10pm. She told me to board, and at 10.35, a different agent came on board and handed me my new BP for seat 1D! So if you're flying out of SFO, they certainly do try to honour the upgrade list! And this is not the first time it's happened to me also! Now at ATL it's a different matter!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I had an interesting experience ATL-GCM traveling with 1 companion. I waited until the end of boarding and asked GA about the 1 remaining FC seat showing; he said that he had promised to a Diamond onboard. I said that I did not think it was supposed to work that way and he said you are right. He asked which passenger was going to be upgraded and I said my companion. I was very happy at this point because it is so hard to get an FO upgrade. I sat in my seat in the main cabin and then the GA came on to upgrade me to Comfort+. I guess I need to start asking if Comfort+ has boarded full.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Wink

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I had an interesting experience ATL-GCM traveling with 1 companion. I waited until the end of boarding and asked GA about the 1 remaining FC seat showing; he said that he had promised to a Diamond onboard. I said that I did not think it was supposed to work that way and he said you are right. He asked which passenger was going to be upgraded and I said my companion. I was very happy at this point because it is so hard to get an FO upgrade. I sat in my seat in the main cabin and then the GA came on to upgrade me to Comfort+. I guess I need to start asking if Comfort+ has boarded full.
I do believe you may be here to stir the pot and this whole story just played out in your mind.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
About a week ago I was flying MSY to ATL and cleared into C+. I boarded in SKY, and about 10 minutes after I boarded an FA presented me with a boarding pass to 1A. A non-rev ended up in my C+ seat (which I only know because he was pushed into helping board the plane to get us out on time, and then he was kind enough to bring me my jacket I accidentally left below my C+ seat).
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BOS-RDU on a CRJ-900 last night. We were delayed about 80 minutes due to a late inbound. The plane boarded quickly and we pushed back with two empty seats in F (1A and 1C) and three people on the upgrade list.

I realize not everyone follows threads like this and knows about YBYL and they may feel guilty about bothering the gate agent who's trying to get a delayed flight out quickly but as it is, people need to self advocate. Though that said, it's really not that hard to pull people up on a damn CR9.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
BOS-RDU on a CRJ-900 last night. We were delayed about 80 minutes due to a late inbound. The plane boarded quickly and we pushed back with two empty seats in F (1A and 1C) and three people on the upgrade list.

I realize not everyone follows threads like this and knows about YBYL and they may feel guilty about bothering the gate agent who's trying to get a delayed flight out quickly but as it is, people need to self advocate. Though that said, it's really not that hard to pull people up on a damn CR9.
Still not as bad as my ATL-RDU YBYL example from last Thursday above. I’m going to send DL a complaint on that (going to do it once I’m done typing this) I can possibly understand YBYL on a delayed flight but on a flight that everyone is boarded 15 mins ahead of schedule and the GA comes onboard and counts the empty seats and doesn’t move anyone up is just flat out wrong on so many levels. I don’t understand what some DL GAs have against UGd passengers after boarding, especially if DL is supposedly “encouraging” GAs to do it time permitting.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

LOL....I've been told that no Delta medallions were harmed on that flight. The last three on the upgrade list were three positive space employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.