Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YBYL (you board, you lose) policy is now more flexible

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Except it sounds like that those seats shouldn't have gone out empty. Delta is claiming in the diamond package that a new perk is they will pull you if you are next on the upgrade list if there is time permitting and if the GA closed the door six minutes early they had plenty of time to upgrade the next four people on the list.

If I'm told by the GA to board and they will pull me if there is a no show I expect them to come on and pull me instead of them allowing the seats to go out empty or for a NRSA or someone else that isn't entitled to getting the upgrade
Until DL management establishes and reinforces the expectation that this is required for the GA to do, rather than discretionary, on-time departure percentages are going to be more important than you receiving what is a demonstrably available benefit (i.e., being placed in an available, empty FC seat).

I do acknowledge that I am seeing GA more frequently doing this, but I am also seeing FC seats go empty when the DL app showed multiple folks on the UG list.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I can see both sides of this. FA's deserve some slack, I think, and at least on -- to pick a completely arbitrary number out of my hat -- flights of less than three hours I have no problems abdicating my "elite status" upgrade in favor of it being given to a FA on a "work" flight (i.e. the FA is being relocated to destination by DL for work). I can also see the side of giving the customer priority -- especially their best customers -- so giving PMs and DMs priority over employees might make the best sense, from a customer-oriented perspective.
Hogwash on a FA getting an upgrade over an eligible medallion member.
KevinDTW and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
There's basically no way they can make "the GA will absolutely come on board and upgrade you" the policy. It's just not realistic.
Was never an issue during my time on AS, AA and CO prior to coming to DL.
Why can’t DL do it?
KevinDTW likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
There's basically no way they can make "the GA will absolutely come on board and upgrade you" the policy. It's just not realistic.
I usually refrain from talking in absolute terms but in this case I will disagree.

Delta can absolutely make it the policy that GA will come on board and pull people from back to upgrade.
The schedules are padded anyways by 15-30 mins. All it will take is add another 5 and let GA start boarding 5 mins early. In any case I have seen it myself.. Last person boards, we are already 3-4 mins behind, GA comes on board with boarding pass, walks back and brings 2 people from the back and exits the plane - all in under 3 mins (yes I actually timed it). I was flying from same gate every week and next time I asked same GA if the delay counted against them and they said they can explain it away.

All this ambiguity is intentional so GAs who want to help fellow employees can do so without fear of any repercussion
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jeet
I usually refrain from talking in absolute terms but in this case I will disagree.

Delta can absolutely make it the policy that GA will come on board and pull people from back to upgrade.
The schedules are padded anyways by 15-30 mins. All it will take is add another 5 and let GA start boarding 5 mins early. In any case I have seen it myself.. Last person boards, we are already 3-4 mins behind, GA comes on board with boarding pass, walks back and brings 2 people from the back and exits the plane - all in under 3 mins (yes I actually timed it). I was flying from same gate every week and next time I asked same GA if the delay counted against them and they said they can explain it away.

All this ambiguity is intentional so GAs who want to help fellow employees can do so without fear of any repercussion
This! It is a choice. Loyalty cost much more in 2018 and is rewarded much less. Strange times in Deltaland.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Renes Points
This! It is a choice. Loyalty cost much more in 2018 and is rewarded much less. Strange times in Deltaland.
I'll also point out the DL's sometimes ridiculously short turnaround times (the same factor that has the inbound plane scheduled to arrive after the scheduled boarding time for the outbound flight, and that often makes PDBs "infeasible") likely dis-incentivizes GAs to take the time to pull up folks from coach.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rogo
How is anyone supposed to actually remember / know this?

It's intentionally obtuse.
I have most of them on a old sticky on the side of my desk (Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T) I used to refer to it when figuring out what fares where eligible for upgrading with miles (back then not all were, and it depended if you were flying domestic or international as to what class you had to be in).

With the new rules and upgrade certs I don't really use it anymore, but it is a nice reminder of my earlier gaming days with Delta.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:35 am

Pretty sure there was YBYL for those on the upgrade list from ATL-HOU yesterday. Flight had been showing no FC seats available all day including at the gate (same for the seatmap). Was in row 1 and could hear all the below and 2 non-rev pilots (not DL, one of the regionals but can't remember which one) were waiting in the galley for seats.

Then the GA comes on and I can hear him tell the FA and the 2 pilots waiting in the galley he was going to move up 10e and 12e and the pilots can take those seats. I thought he was going to get those on the upgrade list and was thinking what a great job by the GA. But lo and behold 2 DL FA's in uniform were moved into row 2.

Here is a screenshot of the upgrade list at 10:12pm Central long after the flight was over form the app and you can see it says 2 F seats available and no one upgraded. Guess YBYL doesn't count for employees.

Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Send feedback to delta through the comments / complaints link including you screenshot. DL called me back about my feedback a couple of days ago to send to leadership in ATL.

if they get enough feedback hopefully they will put their foot down and cut this out.
jamesteroh, apodo77 and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by apodo77
The most reasonable explanation is that it's because Ham sandwiches ride in the back.
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Kudos to the GA on my DTW to ATL flight earlier today. There was a long upgrade and standby list and flight was full. We boarded fast and left on time but about five minutes before the GA closed the door and the flight looked like it had boarded there was a F seat still open. A southwest pilot who was jump seating in the cabin came up and took that seat. I guess the FA told him it was ok and upgraded him herself. A couple minutes later the GA came on board and pulled someone in C+ who must have been diamond since he boarded with PREM and moved him up with a new boarding pass and pilot goes back and takes the guys C+ seat and a minute later another passenger comes on board with a BP and told him she had a BP for his seat and he went back up to the flight deck.

The GA announced it was a full flight and F had checked in full as well as C+ and to board with your zone if you were on the upgrade list and if a seat became available they would come on board and move them up based on where they were on the list. I wish all GAs were that good.
rogo, PayItForward and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Kudos to the GA on my DTW to ATL flight earlier today. There was a long upgrade and standby list and flight was full. We boarded fast and left on time but about five minutes before the GA closed the door and the flight looked like it had boarded there was a F seat still open. A southwest pilot who was jump seating in the cabin came up and took that seat. I guess the FA told him it was ok and upgraded him herself. A couple minutes later the GA came on board and pulled someone in C+ who must have been diamond since he boarded with PREM and moved him up with a new boarding pass and pilot goes back and takes the guys C+ seat and a minute later another passenger comes on board with a BP and told him she had a BP for his seat and he went back up to the flight deck.

The GA announced it was a full flight and F had checked in full as well as C+ and to board with your zone if you were on the upgrade list and if a seat became available they would come on board and move them up based on where they were on the list. I wish all GAs were that good.
Send a compliment through the website telling them how much you appreciate gate agents who will pull people up on the plane.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

By not waiting until the door is closed, the Southwest Pilot had to do the walk of shame not once but TWICE!
Great GA and goes to show there are gems in the Delta team and when done properly, everyone is happy and the flight can still leave on time.
Think about it, folks on the list would not (1) waste GA time by asking about status (2) drag their feet and quickly board feeling assured the GA will come and get them if they got lucky. Boarding should be smoother and faster.
And I think it is way cooler to score an upgrade after boarding.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PayItForward
By not waiting until the door is closed, the Southwest Pilot has to do the walk of Shame not once but TWICE!
Great GA and goes to show there are gems in the Delta team and when done properly, everyone is happy and the flight can still leave on time.
Think about it, folks on the list would not (1) waste GA time by asking about status (2) drag their feet and quickly board feeling assured the GA will come and get them if they got lucky.
And I think it is way cooler to be upgraded onboard.
Especially if your in the window seat and have to make the entire row get up to let you out.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Actually, it's pretty easy:

We know that FULL Y is normally the most expensive coach fare.

B and M used to both get 150% MQMs. Now only B does, so these are the next fares with B higher than M.

S was recently added by DL, but on KLM S stands for Standard I've been told and it's a high coach fare, sometimes how I've been rebooked from an M fare.

Next is H Q K. Think of HQ as headquarters (maybe RM isn't too unhappy to sell such fares) followed by K for OK as these are OK fares.

L U T is easy as these are the sLUT fares (which used to be the lowest on DL)

X V were added recently by DL and for these I remember that they're NOT ViXen.

E is the new BE fare.
OK, now you're just trolling.

Here's easy...

All fare buckets are ranked in order from highest to lowest

A-F = first class
G-K = business class
L - P = premium economy class
Q - Z = coach class

That keeps F, J, and Y in familiar places. And ends the nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.