Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Status upgrade to First

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Non Status upgrade to First

Since I am not a frequent traveler I would like to know if I'm getting a good deal. I've already upgraded my ticket to comfort+ and Delta is offering an upgrade to first for an extra $219. My current fare is around $531 and upgrading would bring it up to $750. This is a transcontental roundtrip from SFO to MCO with one stop. Is this deal worth it?

Also does Delta offer last minute upgrades at check-in? I'm wondering if they do if it would be any cheaper.

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by trambach86
Since I am not a frequent traveler I would like to know if I'm getting a good deal. I've already upgraded my ticket to comfort+ and Delta is offering an upgrade to first for an extra $219. My current fare is around $531 and upgrading would bring it up to $750. This is a transcontental roundtrip from SFO to MCO with one stop. Is this deal worth it?

Also does Delta offer last minute upgrades at check-in? I'm wondering if they do if it would be any cheaper.

Thanks.
Is the $219 one way or round trip?

On whether pricing will be cheaper in the future...it is dynamic (based on supply and demand) so it all depends on how full the F cabins are at check in time.

Its a good price for roundtrip...I personally would reconsider for one way. But only you can decide if its worth it. If its a family trip to Disney (or meeting others there) the upsell may be worth the service and space you get (which will be an appreciated contrast from the Disney parks during the summer).

Last edited by btonkid12345; May 30, 2016 at 5:36 am
Old May 30, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Agree; if it's RT, I'd absolutely do it. If one-way, it's a tougher call since you're already in C+.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't specify, that is the cost roundtrip.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
In that case I would do it in a heartbeat. It's a long enough trip to justify it, at least for me.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Not your original question, but as I hear it all the time, know that buying F doesn't give you access to Skyclub. And THAT isn't worth the cost of the day pass. Also note the increased checked bags for F (2 x 70 lbs). Finally, you might want to check the various flights for the equipment used. Though it's open to change, some folks like to select a flight partially based on the plane & it's configuration. Search threads here for opinions. Seatguru is another great resource.

Enjoy the pointy end of the bus!
Old May 30, 2016, 6:09 am
Original Poster

I've already spent some time examining the seating configurations for comfort+. Since I have particular times I want to arrive and depart, I don't really have a choice for the aircraft. I do know it's a 757 and a A319. A little disappointing that the red eye is not going to include a meal... But I think sleeping well is more important.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a very good price, no matter what the equiptment and even if that one-stop isn't a stop, but an actual connection.

C+ is steerage with leg room. F is 2-2 seating, even if it's not lie-flat. The soft product stuff such as meals and booze is not a big deal. Club access, even if included is not a big deal as there is no reason to arrive earlier than necessary to be at the gate. If you have bags, those of course defray the cost of the upgrade.

Whether it's worth it is a matter of personal preference. If your children will go hungry for the cost, I'd say it's too much. If it's what you spend on drinks after work, I'd do it.

Whether there will be UG's at check-in / gate is a function of supply. There may or may not be and they may or may not cost more.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Sorry I didn't specify, that is the cost roundtrip.
I would do it in a second!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
The F upgrade will also give you access to the SkyPriority checkin Lane and security lane. This doesn't come with C+

For the comfort and legroom I think that's a good price.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
I'd absolutely do it!
It's a no-brainer ...

Go for it!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM
Personally, I'd do it for the extra MQM alone (less useful to you without status), and especially so if you're connecting through a hub like ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC where upgrades are otherwise very difficult.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
upgrade to first for an extra $219
Originally Posted by Often1
If it's what you spend on drinks after work . . . .
Heavens to Betsy!!!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would give that offer strong consideration, PROVIDED the equipment is not a domestic 767.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Heavens to Betsy!!!
I was dating someone a while back and it was all fun and games until I realized I had racked up $4,000+ restaurant/bar/entertainment bills in a month. $200 after work drinks/snacks became the norm.

Of course we're now married so I guess it worked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.