Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Destroyed Luggage with a Pleasant Resolution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

My family was flying ATL-FNT and upon arrival, found one of their checked bags was all but destroyed. It looked like they used it as a wheel chock. Contents were OK, but telescoping handle was broken and frame was in pieces.

They took the bag to the Delta counter and the agent immediately apologized and noted the impressive amount of destruction.

The agent disappeared into a back room and came out with a brand new suitcase of equal size and quality and said "We're deeply sorry. We hope this is a suitable replacement." The agent didn't ask for any flight info, names, or anything else.

I've always heard of vouchers and SkyPesos being used as compensation, but a 100% brand new replacement was a pleasant surprise.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
This happened to my gf in SLC too. No paperwork at all, DL just gave her a brand new suitcase on the spot. Only condition was that we had transfer all her stuff right there and give DL the damaged suitcase. They said it would be shredded.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is pretty common. Most of the legacies keep a decent supply of common sized bags on hand. Usually a good manufacturer, although not necessarily the absolute best. If you aren't too fussy about brand, you can often get a brand new replacement with something decent on the spot.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Stuff like this is what sets DL apart from many other carriers. That is why I stick with DL.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
DL has been doing this for years now. Their BSO resolutions (especially for elites) is excellent.

I've had a destroyed Tumi bag for which they did not have a replacement. They did not offer this but I proposed "borrowing" one of their replacements (which in my experience are no-name brands) just to get to my vacation spot and back and returning it at my home airport (ATL) and then submit a receipt for a new Tumi.

No problem. ATL agents weren't expecting my return of the new bag from another station and were surprised but graciously took it. Got my check in the mail a week or so after filing my online claim.

I was told that bags that get sent in to Rynn's for repair (but that can't be fixed) are kept by Rynn's and used in fire departmebt drills. Better reuse than a landfill!
Old May 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by kettle1
Stuff like this is what sets DL apart from many other carriers. That is why I stick with DL.
What exactly? That they destroy your luggage and offer you a replacement that may last 3-4 months?
Old May 30, 2016, 11:35 am

Wow! It took more than twelve hours for cynicism to surface. Must be a record.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Wow! It took more than twelve hours for cynicism to surface. Must be a record.
More often than not its instantaneous.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Years ago I never bought new luggage. UNITED destroyed it often enough and gave me new ones at the airport. I hate to now have to actually pay money in a store for a new suitcase.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
My brother in Law came back from an international DL flight and landed and his checked in bag had its handle broken off. A DL employee noticed it and told him to go to the baggage counter. There they exchange his broken suitcase for a brand new one of better quality and slightly bigger.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
I had a very similar experience last month on a $325/9000 MQM mileage run to Puerto Rico. Arrived in San Juan to find one wheel assembly on my Tumi completely ripped out, leaving a gaping hole.

The Delta baggage agent offered a selection of replacements, but none were a good match for the size or quality of my Tumi. He said I should submit a claim for the bag, but he didn't want me to continue on my trip with such a damaged bag, so he also provided the most suitable replacement. (It was an Andare Milan model, which is a decent bag and goes for about $100.)

In my claim, I reported that my Tumi was 10 years old and estimated that I paid $400 at that time and that's what they paid me. I'm very impressed with this response.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
DL has been doing this for years now. Their BSO resolutions (especially for elites) is excellent.

I've had a destroyed Tumi bag for which they did not have a replacement. They did not offer this but I proposed "borrowing" one of their replacements (which in my experience are no-name brands) just to get to my vacation spot and back and returning it at my home airport (ATL) and then submit a receipt for a new Tumi.

No problem. ATL agents weren't expecting my return of the new bag from another station and were surprised but graciously took it. Got my check in the mail a week or so after filing my online claim.

I was told that bags that get sent in to Rynn's for repair (but that can't be fixed) are kept by Rynn's and used in fire departmebt drills. Better reuse than a landfill!

Last edited by KevinSFO; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Replacement luggage inventoried at FNT? That is a bit of a surprise. Anything beyond the hubs shows some planning and commitment.

As for why the OP's bag was so utterly destroyed - that's a good one for the six sigma/8D problem-solving teams.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Replacement luggage inventoried at FNT? That is a bit of a surprise. Anything beyond the hubs shows some planning and commitment.
I received a replacement bag at GNV a few years back.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I received a replacement bag at GNV a few years back.
My story happened at MEM late at night.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by KevinSFO
I had a very similar experience last month on a $325/9000 MQM mileage run to Puerto Rico. Arrived in San Juan to find one wheel assembly on my Tumi completely ripped out, leaving a gaping hole.

The Delta baggage agent offered a selection of replacements, but none were a good match for the size or quality of my Tumi. He said I should submit a claim for the bag, but didn't want me to continue on my trip with such a damaged bag, so he also provided the most suitable replacement. (It was an Andare Milan model, which is a decent bag and goes for about $100.)

In my claim, I reported that my Tumi was 10 years old and estimated that I paid $400 at that time and that's what they paid me. I'm very impressed with this response.
Should have bought a Victorinox as they have lifetime warranty with Common Carrier damage on some of their top lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.