Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:59 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
I have the reserve card and I am towards the bottom of the list for a GUC upgrade for a flight today. Having the card doesn't seem to be influencing the list at all.

In this particular flight, I am booked at one of the cheap fare classes so that may be the reason I am towards the bottom.

For those with the reserve card, do you have an annotation on your delta.com account that you're a member?
I saw a screenshot several years back with that - but mine isn't showing currently.
The OP of this thread is completely wrong and 18 months old. It keeps causing confusion and this thread should be locked.

Reserve card is after fare class.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response for post #23 (from October 2017) that I forgot to quote:

DL RM seems to often open upgrade inventory in the middle of the night, probably around 3 am ATL time. This can happen within hours of departure or during the DM window.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wlau
Yes of course I was using GUC... It was called into the Diamond desk... Like I said, for TPAC flights, they routinely move non-rev employees ahead of GUC of mileage up. I've seen it many times. The GA has a lot of discretion, more than we realize.

I fly in/out of LAX/SEA on TPAC frequently and the GA told me that if I really care, don't board. As they get towards the tailend of the boarding process, she is more worried about closing the door on-time then upgrade and which order. I've seen revenued but non-status customer with no seat assignment get D1 over Diamonds on op ups as well. This whole upgrade process is a mess. I am very likely to to return to United next year, at least they give you 6 GUC instead of DL's 4.
You say that you were using a GUC, but are you sure it was coded correctly? Did you appear on the list for a gate upgrade? If so, please complain to DL. Also, BTW, are you PM or DM? The information under your username says PM, but only DMs get GUCs.

Note that OPUPs are an entirely different beast. They're done to benefit DL, at the discretion of DL, when coach is oversold but there are empty premium cabin seats. If coach isn't oversold, then revenue passengers shouldn't get free upgrades, although nonrevs are entitled to open premium cabin seats.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Separate D1 EC upgrade sequences

hi, I’m flying JFK-INTL today and D1 is sold out. How is it possible that I am number 1 for a D1 GUC upgrade but number 3 for an upgrade feom economy to Exonomy comfort when the same individuals names’ appear on both lists?

seq for D1: me, pax 2
seq for E : pax 2, pax 3, me

delta website specidicially says that the waitlist upgrade factors are the same for both... at the end of the day I’d rather be where I am as #1 for D1 but I don’t understand how I can be ahead of pax 2 for GUC but behind Pax 2 for EC.

thanks!

thank you!

Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Naaaaaah. That didn't sound right.

Deleted.

Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by finny52
hi, I’m flying JFK-INTL today and D1 is sold out. How is it possible that I am number 1 for a D1 GUC upgrade but number 3 for an upgrade feom economy to Exonomy comfort when the same individuals names’ appear on both lists?

seq for D1: me, pax 2
seq for E : pax 2, pax 3, me

delta website specidicially says that the waitlist upgrade factors are the same for both... at the end of the day I’d rather be where I am as #1 for D1 but I don’t understand how I can be ahead of pax 2 for GUC but behind Pax 2 for EC.

thanks!

thank you!

I don't think that things like the Reserve and MQD waiver tie-breaker factor into certificate upgrades. Time of request is the only tiebreaker AFAIK.

The scenario I see is that you win on the GUC because you requested the upgrade first, but they win on C+ because they have one of these tie-breakers, which affect unlimited complimentary upgrades.

I think that makes sense. Then again I'm a bit sleep deprived currently.
finny52 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't think that things like the Reserve and MQD waiver tie-breaker factor into certificate upgrades. Time of request is the only tiebreaker AFAIK.

The scenario I see is that you win on the GUC because you requested the upgrade first, but they win on C+ because they have one of these tie-breakers, which affect unlimited complimentary upgrades.

I think that makes sense. Then again I'm a bit sleep deprived currently.
That would make the most sense. Like OP bought and requested first and doesn't have reserve, but pax 2 bought and requested later but has reserve, or other tie breaker.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta
I am new to the GUC game and I guess I don't quite understand how they work. I booked a flight for myself and a companion from DTW to NRT over 75 days out. Only 7 of the 36 Delta One seats appeared booked when I look at the seat map. I told my Diamond line rep that I wanted to use a GUC and she said no upgrades were available. I paid cash for the tickets. Is it not possible to clear a GUC at time of reservation? I am Diamond and have a Platinum Delta Amex.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's possible to clear a GUC (or RUC) at booking IF there's upgrade inventory. Otherwise you have to waitlist.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The DTW-NRT route on the new A350 is extremely limited (aka basically none) for advance upgrade availability. The D1 cabin is frequently close to full so the upgrades are only clearing close to departure or at the gate.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
The DTW-NRT route on the new A350 is extremely limited (aka basically none) for advance upgrade availability. The D1 cabin is frequently close to full so the upgrades are only clearing close to departure or at the gate.
I am on the phone with the diamond line now and they say since it is an A350 that it will take 2 GUCs per person to go from Main Cabin to Delta One. No other diamond line reps have told me that. Is this true?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dbernie41
I am on the phone with the diamond line now and they say since it is an A350 that it will take 2 GUCs per person to go from Main Cabin to Delta One. No other diamond line reps have told me that. Is this true?
False, it will only take 2 GUC's if you want to go from Y to PS and then go to D1. You only need to use 1 GUC to go from Y to D1.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
False, it will only take 2 GUC's if you want to go from Y to PS and then go to D1. You only need to use 1 GUC to go from Y to D1.
My outgoing leg of DTW-NRT is booked as V and my return NRT-DTW is booked as X. Not sure what these mean or allow regarding upgrades.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dbernie41
My outgoing leg of DTW-NRT is booked as V and my return NRT-DTW is booked as X. Not sure what these mean or allow regarding upgrades.
Y - Main Cabin (in general, not fare class)
PS - Premium Select (AKA Premium Economy)
D1 - Delta One

Your fare class doesn't matter for GUC eligibility. (except for E fares obviously) If you want to upgrade to PS from Y and clear, you will need another GUC to UG to D1. Since you just want to go from Y to D1, you only need 1 GUC, not 2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.