Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm not saying that DAL has hired Olivia Pope & Associates, but they do have a very good PR team that helps 'downplay' stories that are not positive. Why do you think there has been minimal mainstream coverage of the atrocities done to the SkyMiles program?

Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
I agree that it is strange that the local news does not have any coverage of it. In fact after we landed I checked Nola.com and wdsu.com and was suprised that no one had picked up the story.
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Food for thought.
If this happened as reported and someone on that flight made the decision not to report OR it was reported but someone in Ops decided to push out the flight asap, could it now be quietly "covered-up" due to the potential repercussions?
Honestly, I think it is a concern that someone jumped out of a plane forcibly and if I were on that plane, I would prefer actions to be taken out of an abundance of safety considerations over trying to reach my destination on time.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm not saying that DAL has hired Olivia Pope & Associates, but they do have a very good PR team that helps 'downplay' stories that are not positive. Why do you think there has been minimal mainstream coverage of the atrocities done to the SkyMiles program?
Probably because in the grand scheme of things, changes to a frequent flyer program aren't actual "atrocities" and on top of that, a huge portion of the public doesn't care and has no reason to care. There are even FFs who don't care - people who have status simply because they do and not because they chase or seek it. Travel is a fact of life for them. The average FTer who makes mileage runs and who will take crazy routings for MQMs and knows every detail of the ever changing FF program may be a vocal minority but it is still a minority.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:11 am

Sad that TSA . . .

Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
My daughter and I are on the plane in New Orleans headed for LAX. Just after the boarding door was closed this lady runs up from the back of the plane, pushed the flight attendant out of the way, opened the door, and jumped 10 feet to the ground below. She then took off running across the tarmac. Craziest thing I have ever seen on a plane.

Surprisingly the flight was only delayed a short while.
Sad that, thus far, TSA does not have a way of determining who is a nut case. Once that is in place, just call the folks with nets and straight jackets.

Bon chance, mes amis!
Old May 26, 2016, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Probably because in the grand scheme of things, changes to a frequent flyer program aren't actual "atrocities" and on top of that, a huge portion of the public doesn't care and has no reason to care. There are even FFs who don't care - people who have status simply because they do and not because they chase or seek it. Travel is a fact of life for them. The average FTer who makes mileage runs and who will take crazy routings for MQMs and knows every detail of the ever changing FF program may be a vocal minority but it is still a minority.
I would agree with you. Mainstream news isn't going to cover something that most people either don't care or would be happy about.

I'd have to imagine that a lot of the people standing in the extra long security line are not happy when someone shows a card and gets to go to a much shorter line, and then board the plane first, then sit in the better seat, and at least a theoretical chance of sitting up front, all while earning more miles than the rest of the plane to be able to redeem J to Europe for the family vacation.

Meanwhile they're last to board, have to check their carry-on, and sit in a middle seat in the back, all with very little hope of earning a free trip with their miles more than once or twice in their lifetime, and probably will never sit in F/J either.

We here care, but the rest of the traveling public don't, and if the article was written it would probably have the heading "Elite" Travelers will now feel more like us!
Old May 26, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Liar is a bit strong. But I agree OP did a great job of staying calm. FT is full of big crazy stories that turn out to be complete B.S. We all had every reason to think this was another B.S. story.
Not really. OP is not a new poster. OP has quite a few posts already. OP has been around for years. Why would OP post a lie?

You accused OP of being a liar. I don't see how any reasonable person would interpret your statements differently.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not really. OP is not a new poster. OP has quite a few posts already. OP has been around for years. Why would OP post a lie?

You accused OP of being a liar. I don't see how any reasonable person would interpret your statements differently.
Yawn. The rest of us are well past this.

Why does anyone lie online? Who cares. OP was backed up. Good for OP. We accepted your apology. It is time to move on.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:37 am

Is this a hoax? Flight number? Airline?

If she hopped off the plane at the last minute, they would have to ensure she had no checked bags. THAT would take some time. And they would also need to verify she did not bring/leave any carry ons on the plane. Only way to do that is deplane everyone and do a screening of the plane. Could easily take the plane offline for a more thorough scanning.

I would think this would be bigger news. It would be a major security breach.
I do not see where you apologized
Old May 27, 2016, 8:08 am

We accepted your apology. Let it go.

The rest of us have nothing to apologize for. We doubted a crazy story and admitted we were wrong when it turned out to be true.

Y.... 3StarsFoodie - I am happy your story turned out to be true - and I fully admit I was wrong in thinking it was not true. Congrats on witnessing such a crazy event and having a story to tell for the rest of your life!!! I hope it does get picked up by the news outlets so you can say to everyone... I was there! I was there! ^
I would suggest you let your anger go and enjoy the more light hearted spirit this thread has taken. (Or unsubscribe.)

Have a nice weekend!
Old May 27, 2016, 8:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
that post doesn't need to be apologized for. He pointed out that the claim was extraordinary and that there should be some corroborating coverage somewhere for such an event. He didn't accuse the OP of making it up at all.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:39 am
pvn
Suspended

"I don't see enough evidence to believe this" and "you are a liar" are two totally different statements.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Why do you think there has been minimal mainstream coverage of the atrocities done to the SkyMiles program?
I'm glad to hear the world has run out of actual atrocities and the only thing to be mad about is getting fewer free upgrades than you got last year.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sorry, people on here aren't the nicest. They generally doubt one, before believing one. They also don't like being wrong, even if there is evidence to that effect.
The story was a bit far-fetched. I didn't believe it, either, at first. That said, a far-fetched story is hardly a reason to be rude or unkind.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:49 pm

It's actually a pretty funny story I think. If I had been on that plane, I know it would have made me a bit concerned but I also would have been very amused.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The story was a bit far-fetched. I didn't believe it, either, at first. That said, a far-fetched story is hardly a reason to be rude or unkind.
Before we rewrite history, where exactly were people being "rude" or "unkind" to OP?

IMHO - We have one or two other posters who was rude and unkind to other posters here. While several of us highly doubted OP, I reread the three pages and did not find anyone saying OP was lying or anything else disparaging. Just that the story was very far fetched. And once confirmed, those of us following this thread that publicly doubted OP were quick to admit our doubt was misplaced.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
With respect, 110pgl, I think the reason people have commented about this is because you were the first person to raise the question about whether this incident really happened -- and you gave your message a separate title -- "Hoax?" in bold letters.

My observation, at least on this board, has been that skepticism has a place. But if we have a poster saying that he/she actually observed something, then we seem to defer to that post. Ask a clarifying question or two, but it the OP still says it happened, we either keep reading politely or we ignore the thread and wait for it scroll away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.