Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why vouchers if it was an IDB?
I gather Delta can offer a higher compensation if it is in Delta vouchers than a cash compensation.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why vouchers if it was an IDB?
Because I don't actually know how it was counted. I did not volunteer to be bumped. What happened was I was flying CMH-ATL-MGM. At one point my connection in ATL went negative due to delays in CMH. But I was not auto-rebooked to anything because all later flights to MGM were overbooked. But upon landing in ATL I saw the ATL-MGM flight was delayed. So I went to the gate for the flight. But having been bumper and auto rebooked before when I had a connection go negative, I asked the GA who informed me that yes, I was removed from the flight (even though I was not notified in any manner - email, call, or text from DL). So I asked for a Red Coat. I spoke with the Red Coat to discuss my options. I already had a rental car reserved, which I did when I was delayed in CMH, so I told the Red Coat that my biggest concern was my bags, and I didn't care if they were delivered to bag claim in ATL or to MGM as long as I knew where they were. The Red Coat actually went down to the ramp and verified my bags were loaded on the ATL-MGM flight. As she was finishing up, I simply remarked "I was present for the flight and I wasn't notified that I was rebooked so I get denied boarding compensation, right?" The Red Coat then says "yea I guess we do owe you that" and processed a voucher.

So whether it went down as an IDB or VDB to the DOT, I don't know (of if they even had to report it all since I was "removed" when my connection went negative). I certainly didn't volunteer to be bumped. But I ultimately didn't care either since it worked out, and as far cash versus voucher, I again didn't care because a DL voucher was as good as cash to me anyway.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by 3StarsFoodie
I agree that it is strange that the local news does not have any coverage of it. In fact after we landed I checked Nola.com and wdsu.com and was suprised that no one had picked up the story.

The lady did not check any bags and had a small bag with her when she jumped off the plane.

For the doubters out there I'm sure that if someone called the MSY airport and asked they would be able to verify the story.
To be clear, the door had closed, the jetbridge had pulled back, and THEN this person ran to the front of the plane, opened the door, and jumped down to the tarmac? Is that what happened?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Yes. The jet bridge had been retracted.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Where were you seated?
Old May 24, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Wonder if it's less fuss if the person who jumps out is a badged airline/airport employee (not in uniform)? Still seems surprising this didn't level up independent news-wise.

But yeah, this Sudden Disembarker sounds like rotten milk: better out than in!
Old May 24, 2016, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Far be it from me to question a 1st hand account but the Delta folks (at VA) have no idea about this one (asked them for a quote to publish).

The first reaction was a jump for a A319 could kill you.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
It's a little more than 11 feet. Unless you were to dive out head-first, probably not going to kill you. Maybe an injury of some sort, but likely not if it was a planned jump to land on your feet.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Far be it from me to question a 1st hand account but the Delta folks (at VA) have no idea about this one (asked them for a quote to publish).

I asked MSY - no response yet.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jadenus
"Ladies and gentlemen, there are two emergency exits at the front of the plane. The door through which you entered...and through which that lady just left, and the galley service door to your right."
I liked the one from WN: "If you do not like our warm hospitality there are 8 exits off the plane. 2 in the front, 2 in the rear and four over the wings. We'll also in that case feature two movies onboard this flight today: Gone With the Wind and Bye Bye Birdy. Have a wonderful flight and thanks for flying with us today"
Old May 24, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Positive bag matching ended a long time ago.

In 2011, DoT said:

https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf (page 33)
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Interesting. Seems counterintuitive, but there you have it. Learn something new every day.

Thanks
Clearly, DOT was anticipating in 2011 that, in 2016, hundreds of PAX would be waiting in TSA lines for 3 hours, missing their planes, while their bags were loaded well before departure.

Old May 24, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I agree that it is strange that the local news does not have any coverage of it. In fact after we landed I checked Nola.com and wdsu.com and was suprised that no one had picked up the story.

The lady did not check any bags and had a small bag with her when she jumped off the plane.

For the doubters out there I'm sure that if someone called the MSY airport and asked they would be able to verify the story.
Out of curiosity, how would you know whether or not she checked a bag?

Last edited by ohmark; May 24, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Where were you seated?
3C. I was helping my daughter with her iPad when the lady ran by. The next thing I heard was screams from the front of the plane a few seconds later the FA comes around the corner and says she opened the door and jumped out.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the FA seem shaken? It could be rather traumatic to watch this happen if you've just closed the door of the aircraft, even if the person didn't seem to have been hurt.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:51 am

Food for thought.
If this happened as reported and someone on that flight made the decision not to report OR it was reported but someone in Ops decided to push out the flight asap, could it now be quietly "covered-up" due to the potential repercussions?
Honestly, I think it is a concern that someone jumped out of a plane forcibly and if I were on that plane, I would prefer actions to be taken out of an abundance of safety considerations over trying to reach my destination on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.