Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lady jumps from MSY-LAX flight this morning

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
Why are you making this up? There is no such rule on U.S. domestic travel.
You're telling me I can go book MCO-JFK tomorrow, drop my bag off, leave the airport, and it will be loaded onto the aircraft? Prove it. Ever since PA 103 a positive match with passenger and luggage is kind of a big deal.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You're telling me I can go book MCO-JFK tomorrow, drop my bag off, leave the airport, and it will be loaded onto the aircraft? Prove it. Ever since PA 103 a positive match with passenger and luggage is kind of a big deal.
A couple of weeks ago, I took a VDB on a PDX-MSP-RIC and was rebooked on PDX-ATL-RIC a couple of hours later. To be clear, they announced on the overhead that they were looking for volunteers and I stepped right up. I figured that as long as I got to Richmond on that calendar day, I could be flexible. So they reissued my ticket and I specifically asked whether my bags would be pulled off of the original flight so that they would travel with me, and the gate agent said "No, they will go out on this flight and be waiting for you at the baggage office in Richmond."

That really surprised me because I was rerouted in an IROPS situation a couple of months ago and could see them pulling my bags from the plane *while* the gate agent was issuing my new ticket.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
"Ladies and gentlemen, there are two emergency exits at the front of the plane. The door through which you entered...and through which that lady just left, and the galley service door to your right."
Old May 23, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
A couple of weeks ago, I took a VDB on a PDX-MSP-RIC and was rebooked on PDX-ATL-RIC a couple of hours later. To be clear, they announced on the overhead that they were looking for volunteers and I stepped right up. I figured that as long as I got to Richmond on that calendar day, I could be flexible. So they reissued my ticket and I specifically asked whether my bags would be pulled off of the original flight so that they would travel with me, and the gate agent said "No, they will go out on this flight and be waiting for you at the baggage office in Richmond."

That really surprised me because I was rerouted in an IROPS situation a couple of months ago and could see them pulling my bags from the plane *while* the gate agent was issuing my new ticket.
Yes, it can go either way in an irrops or vdb situation. You had the intention of flying with your bags.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:13 pm

Yes, it can go either way in an irrops or vdb situation. You had the intention of flying with your bags.
Agree, but in the VDB situation I did *volunteer* to not get on the plane. Clearly I had no ulterior motive (other than padding my Delta Wallet with a few hundred bucks of their money, but it sure seems like in a voluntary situation they would pull the bags.

Maybe it's all part of the TSA's security "plan" - "If we don't know what we're doing, then there's no chance that anyone else will figure it out!"
Old May 23, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Positive bag matching ended a long time ago.

In 2011, DoT said:

As for commenters' concerns with reconciling passenger manifests and dealing with the checked baggage of passengers who choose to deplane, we are not requiring airlines to re-board a passenger who chooses to deplane and therefore misses a flight, or to remove the checked baggage of a passenger that has deplaned. DHS/TSA also doesn’t require that passenger’s checked baggage be removed if the passenger is no longer on that flight. We encourage airlines to announce to passengers that they are deplaning at their own risk and that the flight could depart at any time without them if this is the case.
https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf (page 33)
Old May 23, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Positive bag matching ended a long time ago.

In 2011, DoT said:

https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf (page 33)
Interesting. Seems counterintuitive, but there you have it. Learn something new every day.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jadenus
"Ladies and gentlemen, there are two emergency exits at the front of the plane. The door through which you entered...and through which that lady just left, and the galley service door to your right."
+1 Nice one.

Exactly.

FWIW - I am really doubting OP's story... this would be big news. Something along the lines of...

"A passenger opens a door jumps out of a plane... runs down the tarmac and vanishes. The airport went on lock down until they could determine if this was a terrorist event. The plane returned to the gate where all passengers were subject to rescreening and the plane was searched. after being cleared, the remaining passengers were allowed to reboard and the flight landed 4+ hours late. The passenger was arrested, charged with trespassing and is currently being questioned."

Instead, we get...

Lady opens door on commercial airliner, leaps 20 feet to the tarmac and runs away. Flight crew shrugs their shoulders, re closes the door and left a few minutes later. Oh - and her bags were left on the plane!

No news anywhere. Un huh.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Gold
Nope.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
+1 Nice one.

Exactly.

FWIW - I am really doubting OP's story... this would be big news. Something along the lines of...

"A passenger opens a door jumps out of a plane... runs down the tarmac and vanishes. The airport went on lock down until they could determine if this was a terrorist event. The plane returned to the gate where all passengers were subject to rescreening and the plane was searched. after being cleared, the remaining passengers were allowed to reboard and the flight landed 4+ hours late. The passenger was arrested, charged with trespassing and is currently being questioned."

Instead, we get...

Lady opens door on commercial airliner, leaps 20 feet to the tarmac and runs away. Flight crew shrugs their shoulders, re closes the door and left a few minutes later. Oh - and her bags were left on the plane!

No news anywhere. Un huh.
Totally agree, this is BS. You hear about plane doors being opened when they happen in China!
Old May 23, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I couldn't find anything on the web sites of the local papers, TV and radio stations.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:11 pm

The age of smartphones and no one caught a video? Unless she was Flo Jo and sprinted down the tarmac at lightning speed, someone should have been able to get some kinda footage if this was indeed true.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Gold
Would the door not be closed and armed before the jetway is moved back? The woman neither twisted nor broke any ankles, knees, or hips? The plane did happen to leave 20 minutes late for whatever reason, but this woman just happened to know how to open, and possibly unarm, the main door of an A319 fast enough to get away. Silly NonRevs.

Last edited by B752; May 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Quick research (not comprehensive) consisting of reading the actual CFR on baggage security (no mention of PPBM) and some reading of old FT threads would seem to indicate that the requirement ended in about 2003 when they instituted 100% screening of passenger baggage (not all cargo). But, just because it ended 13 years ago doesn't mean that everyone knows about it - that's what make urban myths so entertaining.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've flown without my bags matching the flight I was on a few times. Most recently I was IDBed on an ATL-MGM flight about a year ago. I got a rental car and drove from Atlanta to Montgomery but my bags (all 4 of them) flew on the ATL-MGM flight and I had to go to MGM to pick them up. In fact, DL would not pull them off the plane and deliver them to bag claim at ATL. I wasn't upset by the this; I didn't care if they flew to MGM or if I had to pick them up in ATL as long as I knew where they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.