Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Reserve Card Upgrade Priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Here is a link to the Unlimited Complimentary Medallion® Upgrades.

Notice this language:
Delta Reserve Credit Card Members will still have a higher prioritization within their Medallion peer set for upgrades.
The way I read this, it says the reserve card jumps you ahead of other fare classes in your medallion peer set. So a PM w/ reserve card on an 'L' class ticket (priority 12) would jump ahead of a PM on a 'Q' class ticket (priority 10) without the reserve? That is what it sounds like, and I was just on the phone with a Delta reservations rep to fix something with a flight tomorrow and she confirmed this. Is this true? It would make the reserve card a lot more valuable to me. I thought it just prioritized you over other people with the same medallion level and fare class. I didn't know it could jump you ahead of other fare classes.

Note: priority is according to Delta Airlines Fare Chart

There is also this footnote on the above quote:
Upgrade Priority within the same Medallion tier and fare class family is applicable only to Basic Card Members.
What is a "Basic Card Member"? What is a fare class "family"? Why add "family"? Does it mean something other than straight-up fare class? Does this negate the thinking I had above?
Old May 22, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by Spec1alk

Notice this language:

The way I read this, it says the reserve card jumps you ahead of other fare classes in your medallion peer set. So a PM w/ reserve card on an 'L' class ticket (priority 12) would jump ahead of a PM on a 'Q' class ticket (priority 10) without the reserve? That is what it sounds like, and I was just on the phone with a Delta reservations rep to fix something with a flight tomorrow and she confirmed this. Is this true? It would make the reserve card a lot more valuable to me. I thought it just prioritized you over other people with the same medallion level and fare class. I didn't know it could jump you ahead of other fare classes.

Note: priority is according to Delta Airlines Fare Chart

There is also this footnote on the above quote:

What is a "Basic Card Member"? What is a fare class "family"? Why add "family"? Does it mean something other than straight-up fare class? Does this negate the thinking I had above?
That's not my understanding of the rules. Fare class is the number one factor within each medallion level. In other words, a PM on a L fare with a DL AMEX Reserve would trump a PM on an L fare without the AMEX Reserve. A PM with a Q fare without an AMEX Reserve would trump all PMs on an L fare. There are, of course, always some hidden exceptions, but I think those are far and few between...

Instead of actually asking a supervisor for help, some CSRs will just make up rules. That's why a lot of people wind up having to hang up and call again. Sad, but true...
Old May 22, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

@UVAhoo6, what you say has been my experience in the past and was how I recall the upgrade priority policy being worded previously.

However, with the new language it sounds like this might be different? Who can speak definitely on this?
Old May 22, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
It is just a tie breaker in same fare class and status level. But that could mean an upgrade or not. Seen it happen a number of times.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Peer set is Medallion level AND fare class. So S fare DM with card beats S fare DM without.

Basic Card Member is the one who aplied for the card. As opposed to Additional Card Member.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where do the corporate travel contract and MQD waiver being met criteria relate to the Reserve card? What are the rules about these three factors and how they interact with each other?
Old May 23, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure on your question MSP... we'll have to try to figure it out I suppose from upgrade (or lack thereof) experience.

With other things being equal (status and fare) the DL Reserve gives you a tiebreak boost. Now they've added the MQD waiver as an additional tiebreak/boost, and something about corp travelers getting some unclear benefit as well.

I have the card and hit the waiver so will have to see if I notice anything... although for most of my tickets I buy-up if the FCM fare is reasonable.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where do the corporate travel contract and MQD waiver being met criteria relate to the Reserve card? What are the rules about these three factors and how they interact with each other?
LOL, come on MSP, do you really think anyone who posted on this thread before you knows more than you do about these rules?

I've said it before, but will repeat it, I think the most reasonable guess (and admittedly this is not much more than an educated guess) is that the order they are listed on this page the OP referred to:

Is the order of the priorities. We know the last one is definitely last, it pretty much says as much. It appears the second to last definitely comes after the first two as well because of the language "If all else is equal". So the only real question is then which of the first two comes first, and I think the best guess is the first one comes first, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, that is just an educated guess.

Then, as you allude to, there is the question of what about folks who meet multiple criteria. E.g., I have a Reserve card and have spent $25k on it already, so would that put me ahead of another PM with the Reserve card only at the same fare class? That would seem to be a reasonable approach, but I wouldn't want to put up much money that's how it is actually implemented.

Delta has told us what matters, but not made it clear how that is actually implemented.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For Diamonds that got the card, did you notice a big difference in upgrades clearing? As DM without the card, I am often 4-5 down the list and am batting about 50% on upgrades. If I got the Reserve (which I am considering because it comes with club access so I can use my third choice benefit for something), would it be a notable difference? Sure, specific routes have different variables, but generally speaking. Thoughts on when to apply for it to maximize the benefits?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
For Diamonds that got the card, did you notice a big difference in upgrades clearing? As DM without the card, I am often 4-5 down the list and am batting about 50% on upgrades. If I got the Reserve (which I am considering because it comes with club access so I can use my third choice benefit for something), would it be a notable difference? Sure, specific routes have different variables, but generally speaking. Thoughts on when to apply for it to maximize the benefits?
I got the card and made DM for next year. I will see if it makes a difference on my normal routes.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
I personally don't think too many upgrades have come down to the card as a tie breaker for me. From what i can tell fare code is clearly the biggest factor and i feel it most when i am on cheap tickets, based on my experience with various fare codes on the same routes.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Notice this language:

The way I read this <SNIP> <SNIP> . . . . So a PM w/ reserve card on an 'L' class ticket (priority 12) would jump ahead of a PM on a 'Q' class ticket (priority 10) without the reserve?

I was just on the phone with a Delta reservations rep to fix something with a flight tomorrow and she confirmed this?
First of all, if what you say is actually true, it would make the Reserve Card MUCH more valuable, and, I think there'd be a HUGE RUSH to get them!

That said, I really don't think that phone agents, even DM agents, know everything about everything, PARTICULARLY about things they don't deal with or have any control over. They just enter the info in the system, and the system does whatever it's gonna do! Why they tell us "stuff" that's not true . . . well . . . that's for another thread!

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 31, 2017 at 11:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
First of all, if what you say is actually true, it would make the Reserve Card MUCH more valuable, and, I think there'd be a HUGE RUSH to get them!

That said, I really don't think that phone agents, even DM agents, know everything about everything, PARTICULARLY about things they don't deal with or have any control over. They just enter the info in the system, and the system does whatever it's gonna do! Why they tell us "stuff" that's not true . . . well . . . that's for another thread!

Um, you are responding to a 1.5 year old post. Upgrade priority on website clearly lists Reserve card as coming after fare class as a tie-breaker.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

At any rate, I don't think anyone would be able to determine how many cases it made a difference. I've been on the bubble a number of times and made it, but I have no way of knowing whether my Reserve card was acting as a tie-breaker or not in those cases or if I would have made it anyway.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
This is completely anecdotal, but as a NYC based platinum, I've had around a ~75% upgrade rate and often was the last person to clear. Have no idea if my reserve was ever the tie breaker, but I've had enough to think that at least a few of them were.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
This is completely anecdotal, but as a NYC based platinum, I've had around a ~75% upgrade rate and often was the last person to clear. Have no idea if my reserve was ever the tie breaker, but I've had enough to think that at least a few of them were.
I have the Reserve card and have had it for years and spend the needed 25k for another of the tie-breakers. I know it really helps me and I only missed a few upgrades all of last year and doubt I will miss* more than 2 or 3 all year this year either.

*Note: I never fly out of ATL on a Monday morning - EVER!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.