Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
First Class change?

As I posted earlier, the upgrade worked for C+. After we checked in this morning, we were suddenly 2 and 3 for our flights to ATL and MSY with over 20 on the upgrade list. That does not happen to GMs. There was1 seat for ATL so we stayed in coach. However during the flight we were upgraded to FC, but5the seats were not together. We don't sit apart and we are usually asked at the gate, often at the last minute.

This whole thing is unusual and it would seem that it was based on My wife's PM.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM
cue the panic
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
and away we go!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Would a DM +1 with GM status rank higher than a DM +1 with FO or no status? Seems obvious but one never knows with DL. Thinking of gifting GM to my lovely bride even though we fly maybe 4-5 times a year together.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This might be reasonable for C+ "upgrades" if the companion is required to take a middle seat on aircraft with middle seats.
This is going to happen most of the time anyway. If I'm with my wife on a 3x3 plane, one of us is going to be in the middle.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Saj8986
Would a DM +1 with GM status rank higher than a DM +1 with FO or no status? Seems obvious but one never knows with DL. Thinking of gifting GM to my lovely bride even though we fly maybe 4-5 times a year together.
Doubtful. If the rules are as I interpret them, it will be based on the usual priority after medallion status of the higher member in the party (typically, fare class is next)

So a DM + SM on a K fare would trump a DM + GM on an X fare (for example)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by appleguru
Doubtful. If the rules are as I interpret them, it will be based on the usual priority after medallion status of the higher member in the party (typically, fare class is next)

So a DM + SM on a K fare would trump a DM + GM on an X fare (for example)
Thanks apple.

Still may gift her GM since she'll get medallion tags....oh wait, she won't.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
Point of reference, my wife (GM) and I (DM) were able to select upgrade options on our award flights.

PWM is upgrade eligable, IIRC.

Since FO is now upgradeable on award tickets that should be an option for them as well.
I suspect that wife as a GM was eligible for the upgrades based on her own companion status and not as your companion.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TTT
Point of reference, my wife (GM) and I (DM) were able to select upgrade options on our award flights.

Since FO is now upgradeable on award tickets that should be an option for them as well.
Ah! Figured it out, so called the DM line and tried to get C+ upgrade eligibility for my companion (SM) and me for a trip coming up. There is a one-liner at the very bottom of the Complimentary Upgrade rules page that cancels out all companion availability on Award and PWM tickets. Darn. Tried to reason that the stipulations for companion eligibility as well as the wording at the top of the site make the last sentence super confusing (and easy to miss). No dice.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Ah! Figured it out, so called the DM line and tried to get C+ upgrade eligibility for my companion (SM) and me for a trip coming up. There is a one-liner at the very bottom of the Complimentary Upgrade rules page that cancels out all companion availability on Award and PWM tickets. Darn. Tried to reason that the stipulations for companion eligibility as well as the wording at the top of the site make the last sentence super confusing (and easy to miss). No dice.

It is a little unclear, but I was told the same thing today too. Now, my companion was a general member, so I get it.

When you say your companion is SM, do you mean general member as well or Silver Medallion? I would think as a Silver you'd be eligible based on that change today.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by scongro
It is a little unclear, but I was told the same thing today too. Now, my companion was a general member, so I get it.

When you say your companion is SM, do you mean general member as well or Silver Medallion? I would think as a Silver you'd be eligible based on that change today.
Wow, I didn't even notice the fine print. "Companion upgrades are not available for travel on Award Tickets or Pay with Miles" appears under both the F and C+ policies. Based on that, an FO companion should only be eligible on their own at T-24. Yet on an award ticket my FO companion cleared with me to C+ in advance yesterday and we're both pending for F. Makes me wonder if a favorable policy change is afoot regarding award companion upgrades, too (where both pax are Medallions). Perhaps it's related to an IT limitation and thus an unpublished benefit, with the ongoing policy of no award/PWM companion upgrades applying only to general-member companions.

Does that all make sense? Am I missing something here? #ClearAsMud
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Delta has decided not to change the companion FC upgrade policy at this time. I have had many discussions with my contact at delta about this very issue. My contact does not make the final decision but had told me my concerns about the potential new policy were definitely valid and being taken under consideration. Lots of people had called Delta about the same concerns per my contact. I was just one of many.
As I sit here in FC, beside my wife, I couldn't help but think about this previous post. I guess some people's contact are better than others. But I think we all nines that when it was posted!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK it's always been the case that there are no companion upgrades if either the elite or the companion is using an award or pay with miles ticket.
Yes but that is the old rules. The new rules do not have fare class or award tix terms. And a DM alone can get both FC and C+ ug fir award tix.

Originally Posted by TTT

Hence my post op thread. I think it's because when you have two elites and one PNR individually they already are about to upgrade.

Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Again, this is for the old rules that supposedly are going away this week. Delta just needs to provide clarification and update their webpage.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
My spouse is PM and I am GM. We cleared into C+ r/t on LAX-LIH for flights this coming spring, so we were able to do a companion upgrade on an award ticket.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Regular ticket for a short hop JFK-BUF on the last day of the year; wife has no status, I'm PM; looks like it automatically cleared into C+, also shows "upgrade to First requested".

If I were on my own I would expect to clear into FC on that flight, so we'll see what happens with a +1.

Last edited by Dennis88; Oct 13, 2016 at 8:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.