Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:19 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I have a general question that I've been curious about. With comp upgrades not being available on TATL flights, which I can understand for the seats up front, it leaves me curious how they fill the C+ seats? Is there enough demand for paid C+ seats on all of these TATL flights?
C+ as an upgrade hasn't been rolled out to all international markets yet. For TATL it is still a seat add-on fee rather than a different booking class. It can be selected at time of booking by DM/PM and at the GM/FO window if available - there isn't an upgrade process/list to deal with on these flights.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
I'm "ok" with this if these clear after the Silver levels have had their opportunity at an upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DAL-767
I'm "ok" with this if these clear after the Silver levels have had their opportunity at an upgrade.
Which is how it was prior to this change.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
Which is how it was prior to this change.
So I get the message from Delta...Diamonds (& the other levels) with a general member are more important than a Platinum, Gold or Silver flying solo.

Just like people flying a credit credit card vs. flying (just my rant!...I'm better now)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Had a trip with SO booked for Nov. Went to the web site to cycle the C+ request, which was on...

Both of us had been auto-upgraded to C+.

WARNING: CHECK YOUR SEATS! While I appreciate the C+ upgrade, I really didn't want to get switched from the 2 seat side on the MD to two seats on the 3 seat side.

So it looks like (for me) the "soft launch" did as you would expect- found my C+ request and cleared it. Glad I cought the seat swap, though.

Last edited by orca15; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orca15
Had a trip with SO booked for Nov. Went to the web site to cycle the C+ request, which was on...

Both of us had been auto-upgraded to C+.

WARNING: CHECK YOUR SEATS! While I appreciate the C+ upgrade, I really didn't want to get switched from the 2 seat side on the MD to two seats on the 3 seat side.

So it looks like (for me) the "soft launch" did as you would expect- found my C+ request and cleared it. Glad I cought the seat swap, though.

Same here, moved from C- two row to C+ aisle and middle. Easy enough to change to the two side, but not sure what if any logic is applied. The entire C+ "cabin" was available except for one seat.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I'll toss my couple of cents in. If I were in charge of the world, I would have C+ upgrades prioritized by the higher of the two Medallion levels, and F upgrades based on the lower. Although, ideally, I'd roll back this C+ as an "upgrade" concept and just let a Medallion choose the seats for them and a companion at the appropriate window. (Deja vu!)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
People certainly got used to the system fast. Up until May, a DM/PM could get up to 9 people into C+ at booking. Now it's one. Yes, for ~5 months it was no one. But that's not been the norm.

Leaving F out of the discussion, this seems perfectly reasonable and is in line with competitors.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by pauly_long
Mrs. pauly_long and I have a trip SLC-JFK booked in November on the same PNR. She has no status, so no C+ for us at ticketing.
Based on the comment about "soft launch today," I unchecked "Complimentary Comfort Plus Upgrade", hit confirm, then re-checked it, hit confirm, and it let me book C+ seats for me and the Mrs.

Seems they have quietly launched the change in companion upgrade priority.
Any way to make this trick work for my award trip (N class) with wife PDX-NRT? My reservation currently shows "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE" so there is no box to uncheck & recheck.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by huskerchad
People certainly got used to the system fast. Up until May, a DM/PM could get up to 9 people into C+ at booking. Now it's one. Yes, for ~5 months it was no one. But that's not been the norm.

Leaving F out of the discussion, this seems perfectly reasonable and is in line with competitors.
^ Thank you for the most succinctly rational post in the thread.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
On my award PNR I am not seeing options for C+, it is saying "not complimentary upgrade eligible". How are you guys getting this on your PNR?

Does the companion have to be medallion to get this option??? Doesn't seem right that they have to be per TC, just a SM member.

Called DL and agents claiming text about award and pay with miles tix ineligible. But seems those with companions as medallions will have that option by defacto medallion status can get the system to work. Hmm worth gifting SM then????
AFAIK it's always been the case that there are no companion upgrades if either the elite or the companion is using an award or pay with miles ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This might be reasonable for C+ "upgrades" if the companion is required to take a middle seat on aircraft with middle seats.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM

^ is dead on.

I laughed at the people complaining that now they would never get a C+ seat because of the 1-3 trips a year one of us brought our spouse, child, BFF, whomever on. If you got them 5 months ago when I could bring me and the Brady Bunch up to C+ at time of booking - it will be available in the future for you.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK it's always been the case that there are no companion upgrades if either the elite or the companion is using an award or pay with miles ticket.
Point of reference, my wife (GM) and I (DM) were able to select upgrade options on our award flights.

PWM is upgrade eligable, IIRC.

Since FO is now upgradeable on award tickets that should be an option for them as well.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:27 am

Below is my imagination, and not representative of any official source.

Delta: What's taking so long with this companion upgrade system?

Delta IT: Umm, we can change the prioritization algorithm. But we have this filter on complimentary upgrades for <Gold, and to fix that will take another 2 months.

Delta: But our DM's and PM's are crying bloody murder over C+ right now!

Delta IT: Hmm, well, they can gift medallion status, right? What if you dropped the complimentary requirement down to Silver? Then we can resolve their C+ issues without fixing the filter.

Delta: Done. Ship it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.