Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Old Oct 6, 16, 8:47 pm

Regardless of what they do with F upgrades, I really don't like the changes to C+ upgrade policy. It used to be that whenever I traveled with my wife, I was happy to be able to choose C+ seats together. We would hardly ever get an F upgrade together but that was fine. Now as a DM traveling with a G, I cannot pick a C+ seat for us and if I put us on the list for a C+ upgrade at T-72, it is quite likely that I will get into a separate middle seat, so we do not check the upgrade box.
Old Oct 10, 16, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerslc View Post
Regardless of what they do with F upgrades, I really don't like the changes to C+ upgrade policy. It used to be that whenever I traveled with my wife, I was happy to be able to choose C+ seats together. We would hardly ever get an F upgrade together but that was fine. Now as a DM traveling with a G, I cannot pick a C+ seat for us and if I put us on the list for a C+ upgrade at T-72, it is quite likely that I will get into a separate middle seat, so we do not check the upgrade box.
However, with the NEW (& Improved) Companion Upgrade Policy (whenever THAT goes into effect) You will be able to get a C+ seat for you and your SkyMiles companion (in this example your wife) immediately after booking (if space is available) and you will NOT have tot wait until their upgrade window opens (again with your wife that would be 72-Hours prior).

It's a WIN-WIN for F & C+
Old Oct 10, 16, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
Just called.... gentleman said he had a meeting about it yesterday, that they still didn't have a date, but were reminded that "fall means any time before December 20th".

...we were promised a date in the summer and not given one...

They need to announce the date immediately. This "in the fall" BS has gone on long enough... and if some people are able to get exceptions but others aren't... that's even worse :-(
At the time of the original announcement (May 19th, 2016) Delta stated we would be given a date "in the summer" and if they had gotten input from IT they would have known that was a doable date.

Now, any delay appears to be 'seller's' remorse in one form or another. I know that there has been discussions and ideas tossed about introducing another 'enhancement' (whatever that might mean in current Delta lingo) at the same time with this new policy change date.

I am hoping for the best, yet bracing for the worst, again...
Old Oct 10, 16, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott LT PP Elite w/Amb, Hertz-PC
Seeing as DL is all about revenue these days :eyes: I think a revenue/fare class upgrade tier would play well:

DM or DM+1, whoever's fare or combined fare is higher
Same for down the line...

This way, if a DM pays for a higher class and Delta makes more money than a DM+1, then they get priority on the seat.

However if a DM+1 has brought more revenue to the flight, then they should get the upgrade.

And I agree that this "enhancement" is back burner to more pressing IT issues...remember that time they completely shut down operations due to "faulty server configurations" and lack of real time redundancy?
Yeah, I think making that 100% failsafe is a higher priority than +1 concerns.
Old Oct 10, 16, 11:26 pm

Delta is making headway as they now just announced today (October 19, 2016) that effective immediately:

"Starting October 10, 2016, Silver Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades to First Class on Award Travel, 24 hours prior to departure..."

Last edited by laptoptravel; Oct 11, 16 at 12:15 am
Old Oct 11, 16, 12:33 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
[QUOTE=BHammy;27330434]Seeing as DL is all about revenue these days :eyes: I think a revenue/fare class upgrade tier would play well:

DM or DM+1, whoever's fare or combined fare is higher
Same for down the line...

This way, if a DM pays for a higher class and Delta makes more money than a DM+1, then they get priority on the seat.

However if a DM+1 has brought more revenue to the flight, then they should get the upgrade?
QUOTE]

So with this "combined fare/more revenue" line of thinking.....I as a DM flying solo RT PDX/MSP with a spend of $500 would be trumped by a DM +1 zero status with a spend of $1000?

The solo DM is going to lose 99% of the time.

IMHO.....that zero status pax should not have my comp upgrade..all things being equal between the 2 DMs.

ZSPWFBF

zero status passenger wants first buys first
Old Oct 11, 16, 8:54 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat
I agree with others that I care far less about which way they go with the F upgrades. The thing that is really annoying is the C+ situation.
Old Oct 11, 16, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I spoke to a very confident sounding DM agent today who claimed DL is doing a soft rollout of this new upgrade policy today, where companions in the same PNR clear at the higher status level.

She said she was told that if the soft rollout goes well, they will then officially push the change to the website and announce it.

Please don't crucify the messenger...just reporting what I was told as I was about to book a cross country and was inquiring about at least getting preferred seating for my companion at booking.
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:07 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat
I wonder what a soft rollout vs. "push the change to the website"?
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Basically they can pick and choose when and for whom to do the high priority companion upgrade and then see how it goes without being forced to follow through with a published policy for everyone.
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM
So if I'm booking a reservation with myself (DM) my wife (GM) and the little one (kettle) - I should book it in 2 different reservations, correct? Otherwise all 3 of us are going to be in coach, if I understand correctly.

To me is seems I should book myself and the little one together to ensure 2 of us are sitting in C+ or first, and my wife on a separate reservation to give her a shot at C+. (I'm certain I'll be giving the best seats up to the ladies in the household regardless of whose name is on what ticket)
Old Oct 11, 16, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM / GE / APEC
My *guess* would be trying this out w/r/t the upgrade list priority ordering at the gate first, vs the automatic upgrades that clear in IT at T-24/72/120 hrs. That way you have a human (GA) eyeing the results in case anything goes wacky. Who knows though.

Either way, hope it hits website soon. Have a late October flight with a companion I'd love to pre-clear into C+ while there are still seats together.
Old Oct 11, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Mrs. pauly_long and I have a trip SLC-JFK booked in November on the same PNR. She has no status, so no C+ for us at ticketing.

Based on the comment about "soft launch today," I unchecked "Complimentary Comfort Plus Upgrade", hit confirm, then re-checked it, hit confirm, and it let me book C+ seats for me and the Mrs.

Seems they have quietly launched the change in companion upgrade priority.
Old Oct 11, 16, 10:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
It just worked for me as well (PM on the same PNR with my SM wife).
Old Oct 11, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta. United. IHG. Marriott.
Originally Posted by pauly_long View Post
Mrs. pauly_long and I have a trip SLC-JFK booked in November on the same PNR. She has no status, so no C+ for us at ticketing.

Based on the comment about "soft launch today," I unchecked "Complimentary Comfort Plus Upgrade", hit confirm, then re-checked it, hit confirm, and it let me book C+ seats for me and the Mrs.

Seems they have quietly launched the change in companion upgrade priority.
Worked for me as well. PM with a SM wife. I don't much care for what they do with F because WFBF but this comfort+ was a big downgrade. Hopefully they keep it like this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: