Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good. We can only hope that this is true.
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Awesome. As it should be.
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Sure easy to tell who is and isn't single in this thread!
Add me to that group! I hope the new policy applies only to C+.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Where have they "recognized" this ? Just your contact telling you this?
Delta has decided not to change the companion FC upgrade policy at this time. I have had many discussions with my contact at delta about this very issue. My contact does not make the final decision but had told me my concerns about the potential new policy were definitely valid and being taken under consideration. Lots of people had called Delta about the same concerns per my contact. I was just one of many.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
An interesting quirk about the new policy I just thought of. I just booked an award ticket for my wife and I. As a PM, I get upgraded to C+ after booking (even with an Award ticket).

I'm thinking then that once this policy goes into effect, my wife (no status) and I would then get upgraded after booking to C+?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
They may be reconsidering the policy. Not every elite agrees with it.
And not every elite disagrees with it.

They announced this change after receiving negative feedback from the LAST change (C+ upgrades for companion losing any reasonable ability to sit together by shifting to low priority)!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Delta has decided not to change the companion FC upgrade policy at this time. I have had many discussions with my contact at delta about this very issue. My contact does not make the final decision but had told me my concerns about the potential new policy were definitely valid and being taken under consideration. Lots of people had called Delta about the same concerns per my contact. I was just one of many.
I think you are very soon going to be disappointed.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - if I can't sit near my wife in econ+ without paying, we're flying AA on any flight longer than an hour. I'm a Diamond, and she isn't even Silver.

I get the issue at the F level, but at econ+, they need to get in line with AA and UA (or B6, which has more legroom anyway for non-elites).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
I think you are very soon going to be disappointed.
Not as disappointed as you think. Just a different opinion. I will be ok one way or the other. I will keep voicing my opinion to delta about the change if it eventually happens as you say.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I might be only one of the few in favor of this policy, but it has worked at AA for years and as AA Gold or Platinum I don't think it has really affected me.

My contact's story differs from your contact's. This is supposed to go live soon.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Can't wait for this to go into effect. And... really hope it is F and C+, as previously announced.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
For any FF who likes to (gets to) travel with a +1, this is great.

Many time we travel with one or more of our daughters. Most of them used to be GM while traveling with my wife (also DM) and I. But with the spend, they barely maintain silver.

In the past year, we almost lost loyalty with Delta as the perks while traveling with family was nearly gone. If/when this comes around, it'll restore sway us back more for traveling with DL as we'll all to get to reap the benefits that we've earned.

I certainly understand that the solo medallions could be impacted. But I think that is why the announcement is taking so long. I think there will be some tiered system between solos vs +1s....and the integration into the upgrade automation/web site is taking time to get it right.
(or they put the issue on back burner as they are upgrading/verifying their entire IT infrastructure when it comes to backups, redundancy and failovers)
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Just tried to use RUC's on a Transcon for myself and Mrs. (FO) who was travelling on a separate reservation.
I was top of the list, she was on the bottom.

According to present rules, had we been on the same reservation, would she have been together with me at the top, but with the catch that if only one seat had been available neither would have been upgraded ?
Or would have we been at the bottom, due to her being only FO ?

Between the two of us there were a bunch of other people on the upgrade list.
Not clear who those might have been, since I requested the RUC upgrade only a couple of days before departure.
Could have they been mileage upgrade awards, which always rank below RUC's regardless of medallion status ? If so, why as she at the bottom of the list ?

Perhaps the explanation is that upgrade awards rank the same as RUC's and none of those people was a PM ?

Confused by the entire precedence affair...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
Just tried to use RUC's on a Transcon for myself and Mrs. (FO) who was travelling on a separate reservation.
I was top of the list, she was on the bottom.

According to present rules, had we been on the same reservation, would she have been together with me at the top, but with the catch that if only one seat had been available neither would have been upgraded ?
Or would have we been at the bottom, due to her being only FO ?

Between the two of us there were a bunch of other people on the upgrade list.
Not clear who those might have been, since I requested the RUC upgrade only a couple of days before departure.
Could have they been mileage upgrade awards, which always rank below RUC's regardless of medallion status ? If so, why as she at the bottom of the list ?

Perhaps the explanation is that upgrade awards rank the same as RUC's and none of those people was a PM ?

Confused by the entire precedence affair...
Sounds to me like Mrs thesaint's RUC is coded incorrectly.

There's like a dozen goofy steps involved in correctly coding an RUC request. There's no feedback to the agent that each of the steps is actually coded correctly. If any one step is coded incorrectly, the result is the upgrade request doesn't work. The only way to really tell if the coding is correct is the result - showing up at the top of the wait list after check in. If you are using an RUC and aren't at the top, it's almost certainly coded wrong.

The DL RUC process is dumb.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by BHammy
For any FF who likes to (gets to) travel with a +1, this is great.

Many time we travel with one or more of our daughters. Most of them used to be GM while traveling with my wife (also DM) and I. But with the spend, they barely maintain silver.

In the past year, we almost lost loyalty with Delta as the perks while traveling with family was nearly gone. If/when this comes around, it'll restore sway us back more for traveling with DL as we'll all to get to reap the benefits that we've earned.

I certainly understand that the solo medallions could be impacted. But I think that is why the announcement is taking so long. I think there will be some tiered system between solos vs +1s....and the integration into the upgrade automation/web site is taking time to get it right.
(or they put the issue on back burner as they are upgrading/verifying their entire IT infrastructure when it comes to backups, redundancy and failovers)
I think a tiered system would be a good compromise as I have previously stated.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Sounds to me like Mrs thesaint's RUC is coded incorrectly.

There's like a dozen goofy steps involved in correctly coding an RUC request. There's no feedback to the agent that each of the steps is actually coded correctly. If any one step is coded incorrectly, the result is the upgrade request doesn't work. The only way to really tell if the coding is correct is the result - showing up at the top of the wait list after check in. If you are using an RUC and aren't at the top, it's almost certainly coded wrong.

The DL RUC process is dumb.
If transcon means the JFK-LAX/SFO and VV nonstops, there shouldn't have been anyone on the list for a free elite upgrade and the gate list, which is when we start seeing it, shouldn't include anyone trying to upgrade with miles, although the GA might process those upgrades if seats remain, the GA knows how to pull miles, and the GA has sufficient time to do so.

We don't know how instrument supported upgrade requests are prioritized by DL, either in advance or at the gate.

What fare class did you and wife have? Did you observe any evidence of upgrades being done in advance for your flight, such as C+ seats becoming empty at the same time as seats in FC/D1 are filled, especially around 5pm ATL time or in the middle of the night?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I might be only one of the few in favor of this policy, but it has worked at AA for years and as AA Gold or Platinum I don't think it has really affected me.

My contact's story differs from your contact's. This is supposed to go live soon.
AA clears EP's with companions after clearing all solo EP's which wouldn't have an effect on solo travelers. Delta hasn't clarified if how this will work (i.e. will a DM on a B fare with a non-status companion clear with his companion before the solo traveler on an S fare or will all solo DM travelers clear first and then DM's with companions clear based on fare class.

If they have the same policy AA has I have no problem with this new policy. Now if Delta would only make their SWU's as easy to use as AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.