1:05 Transfer at CDG -- Doable?

Old May 13, 16, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question 1:05 Transfer at CDG -- Doable?

Hi All,

I just booked a trip where I fly from DUB-CDG-SEA, and I only have 1:05 to transit in CDG. It's been awhile since I've flown through CDG, and I was wondering whether this connection is doable. DUB-CDG is on AF City Jet, and then I connect from CDG to SEA on DL.

I don't plan on checking luggage. I know that there's the whole pre-screening process before you get to the gate area for all US-bound flights. Other than that, am I crazy for attempting this?

Thanks all!
Old May 13, 16, 6:48 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
You will arrive at T2E and will depart from T2E. No immigration is involved. The pre-screening process is at AMS and not at CDG, however, you will have the security screening questions at the gate before boarding. 1:05 is doable if your flight departs on-time.
Old May 13, 16, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Here are some threads you were searching for. If your arriving flight is on time, you should be fine.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...-possible.html
Old May 13, 16, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
You will arrive at T2E and will depart from T2E. No immigration is involved. The pre-screening process is at AMS and not at CDG, however, you will have the security screening questions at the gate before boarding. 1:05 is doable if your flight departs on-time.
Phew! Thanks for letting me know. Is it common for City Jets (an Avro jet) to deplane at a remote stand? And if so, does it seem like I should still be okay? Thanks a ton
Old May 13, 16, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
Thanks for the link. Could the moderator please merge my thread into that one? I appreciate all the info thus far.
Old May 13, 16, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Certainly possible, but if anything goes wrong then who knows.
Old May 13, 16, 9:17 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by huskerchad View Post
Certainly possible, but if anything goes wrong then who knows.
Yeah, I think this is the issue... what's your risk tolerance? If on time, 1:05 is fine. If the inbound is late for whatever reason, how many other CDG-SEA routings are there that day (including via JFK, ATL, etc)?
Old May 13, 16, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think DL will do it any more (I know DL won't rebook to Asia through Europe) but I wonder whether AF would be willing to route you through Asia to get from CDG to SEA in IROPs. That could be fun.
Old May 13, 16, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 View Post
Hi All,

I just booked a trip where I fly from DUB-CDG-SEA, and I only have 1:05 to transit in CDG. It's been awhile since I've flown through CDG, and I was wondering whether this connection is doable. DUB-CDG is on AF City Jet, and then I connect from CDG to SEA on DL.

I don't plan on checking luggage. I know that there's the whole pre-screening process before you get to the gate area for all US-bound flights. Other than that, am I crazy for attempting this?

Thanks all!
I've done this with 1:15 to make the transit and it was tight, even with Acces #1 which I hope you have. The Avro jets have docked at a gate but I still had to go through the security check (regardless of whether it is the same non-Schengen terminal for arrival and departure). I had only carry-on but my bag was opened and unpacked, as were the bags of people ahead of me. You may be ok, but personally I would rebook, particularly if you don't have Acces #1 (J travel or Sky Elite Plus).
Old May 13, 16, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post
I've done this with 1:15 to make the transit and it was tight, even with Acces #1 which I hope you have. The Avro jets have docked at a gate but I still had to go through the security check (regardless of whether it is the same non-Schengen terminal for arrival and departure). I had only carry-on but my bag was opened and unpacked, as were the bags of people ahead of me. You may be ok, but personally I would rebook, particularly if you don't have Acces #1 (J travel or Sky Elite Plus).
I'm a DM, so I should have access to Aces #1. I assume that I simply need to show my BP and that should get me into the line, right? In terms of security, is it not simply an X-ray machine with secondary screening (i.e., bag search) if there's an issue? I will only have carry-on items. It seems strange that connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen requires additional security.
Old May 14, 16, 12:46 am

I'm a DM, so I should have access to Aces #1. I assume that I simply need to show my BP and that should get me into the line, right? In terms of security, is it not simply an X-ray machine with secondary screening (i.e., bag search) if there's an issue? I will only have carry-on items. It seems strange that connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen requires additional security.
Correct, DM should get you in the line. The line can be long and the screening takes time. If you're taking the 9:05 from DUB then you'll be in the same position as I was (I've done this itinerary twice). The line wasn't very long but I wasn't traveling at very busy times. Now that I check again, my connection time was actually 1:25. I arrived at the gate for ATL after boarding had started and I walk very quickly. I would not have been comfortable with 20 minutes less in transit. There is an earlier Avro flight from DUB (hideously early) but if I were you, I would take it.
Old May 14, 16, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Correct, DM should get you in the line. The line can be long and the screening takes time. If you're taking the 9:05 from DUB then you'll be in the same position as I was (I've done this itinerary twice). The line wasn't very long but I wasn't traveling at very busy times. Now that I check again, my connection time was actually 1:25. I arrived at the gate for ATL after boarding had started and I walk very quickly. I would not have been comfortable with 20 minutes less in transit. There is an earlier Avro flight from DUB (hideously early) but if I were you, I would take it.
I'm actually departing from DUB at 6:25 AM flight connecting to the DL flight that departs at 10:30 for SEA. I arrive in CDG at 9:25 AM. Is that not usually a busy time? (It has been a long, long time since I've transited through CDG.)
Old May 14, 16, 1:13 am

I'm actually departing from DUB at 6:25 AM flight connecting to the DL flight that departs at 10:30 for SEA. I arrive in CDG at 9:25 AM. Is that not usually a busy time? (It has been a long, long time since I've transited through CDG.)
Oh yikes you're already on the early flight. Sorry, I haven't done the T2E security at 9:25 recently. My DUB flight arrived at 12:05. I'm sure I've connected around your time before but things have got significantly better at CDG since the bad old days. My two Avro flights arrived at a gate rather than in Belgium + bus. The good news is that you probably have other options to the US arriving that early e.g., The ATL flight leaves at 13:30.
Old May 14, 16, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Oh yikes you're already on the early flight. Sorry, I haven't done the T2E security at 9:25 recently. My DUB flight arrived at 12:05. I'm sure I've connected around your time before but things have got significantly better at CDG since the bad old days. My two Avro flights arrived at a gate rather than in Belgium + bus. The good news is that you probably have other options to the US arriving that early e.g., The ATL flight leaves at 13:30.
My hesitation to fly through CDG for the longest time has been the terrible layout of the airport. I think that I'm going to stick with the 1:05 connection because (a) there are no other earlier alternatives out of DUB and (b) I'm going to trust that there are plenty of other flights to get me home, I think.

That said, if I do misconnect, who exactly is responsible for taking over the ticket and getting me back? The first segment is an AF City Jet flight. If they're delayed and I miss my connection, will AF take care of everything? I don't want to be in a situation where AF tells me that I need to contact DL, and I wind up being the rag doll that gets tossed back and forth. I hope that being a DM/STE+ helps here...
Old May 14, 16, 1:04 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
The layout at 2E is not terrible. 3 concourses linked by an automated people mover or a bus. AF (which also handles DL operations) will get you rebooked if your flight is late or you misconnect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: