Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines - the master of the VDB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines - the master of the VDB

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Smile Delta Air Lines - the master of the VDB

http://www.briansumers.com/home/2016...res-one-answer

Interesting stuff here.

Way more VDBs than any other airline, and way less IDBs than their peers. Even less IDBs than Envoy, Expressjet, or Skywest.

DL accounts for 28% of the VDBs in calendar year 2015, but only 4% of IDBs.

The result is that Delta's IDB rate is 1.3% of total denied boardings (IDB + VDB). For comparison, Southwest's rate is 14%.

So on the face of things, it would seem that Delta overbooks more than the rest of the industry, but then Delta is very effective at getting passengers to accept VDBs.

Since some hearts here go all aflutter at the mention of needing volunteers, that's a good thing.

David
Old May 11, 2016, 2:14 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
I snagged back-to-back $800 VDBs last year one weekend. Ended up with a 2hr turnaround in MCO to keep my original flight back to RIC.

Monetized those and bought new carpeting.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ScrodmanFL
Monetized those and bought new carpeting.
^ ^ ^ Sweet.

David
Old May 11, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
This is fascinating.

I've always wondered how IDBs actually happen... There seem to ALWAYS be volunteers. Due to my status, am kind of sad I have essentially 0 chance of ever getting one.

Have seen DL go on the plane after its boarded to find volunteers, up offers, etc.

Last flight I took a VDB on, they were over by *14*.

But the flight went out with empty seats??? First time seeing that; Pretty sure they were over on weight. Wonder if there was some heavy cargo?
Old May 11, 2016, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IDB's are a matter of how much the brand people think IDB stats damage the brand. Beyond a few wonks who look at DOT stats, I doubt that many people care.

The reality is that an IDB is an angry customer while a VDB is a happy or at least not unhappy one.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:07 pm

VDBs generally cost less to the airline too, so win/win if done right. (And DL usually does it right!)
Old May 12, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by appleguru
VDBs generally cost less to the airline too, so win/win if done right. (And DL usually does it right!)
Absolutely. The stats in the linked article prove it. Many VDBs (which FTers love) and very few IDBs.

David
Old May 12, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
DL definitely appears smarter on this than the other airlines. Plus when much of the VDB compensation is in DL dollars, they are essentially paying themselves. (Putting aside the issue of marginal costs.)
Old May 12, 2016, 8:24 am

Also I suspect, like with rebates, about half of the value of the DL vouchers issued is not redeemed.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
In all the years I've been flying on Delta, I think I've run into VDB situations about 5 times. I am not based in ATL and I've run into relatively few adverse weather situations where they couldn't get me home within a few hours of my original itinerary.

I was able to get a bump out of LAS the night the NAB convention ended; as a DM I was #4 for 0 F seats LAS-ATL. That flight was oversold, and they needed 4 volunteers. I was able to get to the GA first, and she gave me not only a $600 voucher but also the last seat in F on LAS-MSP which departed 2 hours later, with a logical connection onto IAD and an upgrade on that flight also. This really was a win/win.

I used my voucher to sample PE on both VS and AF, only having to pay $694 out of my own pocket for this trip. Great!!!
Old May 12, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Does Delta accept/request volunteers that are ticketed in F?
Old May 12, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by plinth857
Yes. Last year I was on a D1 TATL flight and we volunteered/got VDB.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by plinth857
yes absolutely. All things being equal they will accept a main cabin or first class pax no problem. Absolutely no preference to Delta.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
In all the years I've been flying on Delta, I think I've run into VDB situations about 5 times. I am not based in ATL and I've run into relatively few adverse weather situations where they couldn't get me home within a few hours of my original itinerary.

I was able to get a bump out of LAS the night the NAB convention ended; as a DM I was #4 for 0 F seats LAS-ATL. That flight was oversold, and they needed 4 volunteers. I was able to get to the GA first, and she gave me not only a $600 voucher but also the last seat in F on LAS-MSP which departed 2 hours later, with a logical connection onto IAD and an upgrade on that flight also. This really was a win/win.

I used my voucher to sample PE on both VS and AF, only having to pay $694 out of my own pocket for this trip. Great!!!
Had a similar experience with my last VDB. I was flying on an award ticket, in coach. Didn't make the upgrade. They gave me an $800 voucher, got me the last F seat on the next non stop flight out in the AM, and a hotel voucher for the night. There was a redeye with a stop, but I opted for sleeping in a bed. All in all, win win!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Does the VDB offer usually happen at T-24 when you OLCI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.