Search

Would you rather - MU or CZ (JFK-SIN)?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 12:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Would you rather - MU or CZ (JFK-SIN)?

I cannot find any low J one-way awards in July or August on KE, the carrier I'd prefer to fly from JFK-SIN. The only low J awards are showing up on MU & CZ, and I've read horror story after horror story on MU and their PVG hub. I'm leaning towards CZ and going through CAN, but thought I'd ask those experienced with the two carriers which one they'd prefer to fly if those were the only two choices, and if CZ is just as bad (lousy food, cigarette smoke, unfriendly FA's)?

(if anyone see's a date in July or August one-way from JFK-SIN on KE in J and would share that I'd be eternally grateful. The flexible dates calendar isn't helpful)
Old May 11, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Aug 29
JFK-ICN-SIN (arrive in SIN on Tues, 30 August) in KE, in J.
DEP JFK at 2 PM. 1 hr 20 min layover in ICN. Arrive in SIN at 11:50 PM. One ticket left at 70,000 miles.

I put in JFK-ICN first, requesting only nonstops, to see if any space was available on that leg first - August 29 was the earliest date with availability in the July/August timeframe.

Have you tried looking into positioning to another city which KE flies to? (SEA, SFO, LAX, ATL, ORD, etc.)?
Old May 11, 2016, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget the blackout dates for KE award tickets paid with DL miles. That could explain the lack of TPAC availability during the summer.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
I wouldn't hesitate with MU. PVG is not NEARLY as bad as some make it out to be. Is it ICN? No. However, it is not third world by any stretch. The lounges are old and not the best, but in all honesty - entertaining. Pick the schedule and price that works best. If it is PVG, just hope there isn't a bus gate involved. If there is, it is not the end of the world...the same could await you in CDG after all
Old May 11, 2016, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Aug 29
JFK-ICN-SIN (arrive in SIN on Tues, 30 August) in KE, in J.
DEP JFK at 2 PM. 1 hr 20 min layover in ICN. Arrive in SIN at 11:50 PM. One ticket left at 70,000 miles.

I put in JFK-ICN first, requesting only nonstops, to see if any space was available on that leg first - August 29 was the earliest date with availability in the July/August timeframe.

Have you tried looking into positioning to another city which KE flies to? (SEA, SFO, LAX, ATL, ORD, etc.)?
Thank you for this!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget the blackout dates for KE award tickets paid with DL miles. That could explain the lack of TPAC availability during the summer.
Noted.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I wouldn't hesitate with MU. PVG is not NEARLY as bad as some make it out to be. Is it ICN? No. However, it is not third world by any stretch. The lounges are old and not the best, but in all honesty - entertaining. Pick the schedule and price that works best. If it is PVG, just hope there isn't a bus gate involved. If there is, it is not the end of the world...the same could await you in CDG after all
Appreciate the friendly tip/advice. The J seats on MU look comfortable and the bus gates aren't the end of the world, but the reviews I've read on the food in J and cigarette smoking by FA/Pilot's in the cabin scare me. Would you say MU has better food? Hopefully no cig smoking onboard?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Appreciate the friendly tip/advice. The J seats on MU look comfortable and the bus gates aren't the end of the world, but the reviews I've read on the food in J and cigarette smoking by FA/Pilot's in the cabin scare me. Would you say MU has better food? Hopefully no cig smoking onboard?
It all depends on your luck with the crew and catering. No way to know for sure will it be good or not good in advance.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:58 pm

I just took CZ from YVR-CAN and CAN-AKL and it was great. I was in business and the food and service was really good. Loved the 787. No issues in CAN other than the fact that it was really, really hot outside in general and not that cool in the airport. But the flights were great.

Last edited by MissJ; May 11, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
IME, CZ is not great if you are connecting to another airline (Sky team); however, if you're flying completely on CZ metal they're great.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:05 pm

I've done MU a few times now in J to BKK. Love the 777-300ER and the seats. Hate the taxes. I have found service to be decent on all my flights. Wifi on these birds, but requires jumping through hoops prior to the flight for access. Food is better leaving the US, the meals leaving China are just OK. Entertainment system is good. Still surprised they had "American Sniper" on there in July last year.

Last trip in March had a severe delay PVG-BKK resulting in a 5:30AM arrival in BKK. Scheduled was 12:55AM. TIFC but transfer is easy in PVG. As bubbashow said, the lounge is entertaining but still dismal. I've been lucky enough to be leaving at the closest gates. Less than 2 minutes from lounge seat to airplane seat. Took full advantage of the self serve Tsingtao's during my 6 hour stop. Food is terrible unless you like roman noddles.

I've been wanting to try CZ but the availability never works for me.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by berliner5000
IME, CZ is not great if you are connecting to another airline (Sky team); however, if you're flying completely on CZ metal they're great.
Yes, this would be all CZ JFK-CAN-SIN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.