Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL South TSA Checkpoint Closed till Mem Day; Expect Lengthy Delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL South TSA Checkpoint Closed till Mem Day; Expect Lengthy Delays

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Exclamation ATL South TSA Checkpoint Closed till Mem Day; Expect Lengthy Delays

Didn't see this posted earlier.... The South TSA Security Checkpoint at ATL is closed until Memorial Day for reconstruction to implement a pilot program to expedite screening. In the meantime, expect lengthy delays at the Main and North ATL Checkpoints. 45-60 min wait times have been common this week, with reports of a few wait times over an hour. Atl Journal Constitution Article

If anyone has any experience on how bad TSA Pre-Check lines are during this reconstruction project, please post your experience. ATL airport management posts Wait Times but their website does not provides separate info for Pre-Check lanes.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:01 am

Monday morning I did Sky Priority instead of PreCheck for this reason. Annoying to have to take off my jacket/shoes/belt, but I got through in 5 minutes -- the quickest I've gotten through in about a year on a Monday morning.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
A pilot program to expedite screening, eh? Enjoy the new, longer wait times like MSP has gotten with our "expedited screening" setup. It's gotten a bit better, but there was still no reason to change in the first place.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR-6785
Didn't see this posted earlier.... The South TSA Security Checkpoint at ATL is closed until Memorial Day for reconstruction to implement a pilot program to expedite screening. In the meantime, expect lengthy delays at the Main and North ATL Checkpoints. 45-60 min wait times have been common this week, with reports of a few wait times over an hour. Atl Journal Constitution Article

If anyone has any experience on how bad TSA Pre-Check lines are during this reconstruction project, please post your experience. ATL airport management posts Wait Times but their website does not provides separate info for Pre-Check lanes.
This is honestly becoming ridiculous. My two airports never have long lines (for PreCheck), but the TSA is seriously asking to be dumped by every major airport in the country.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Monday morning I did Sky Priority instead of PreCheck for this reason. Annoying to have to take off my jacket/shoes/belt, but I got through in 5 minutes -- the quickest I've gotten through in about a year on a Monday morning.
You shouldn't have to take off shoes/belt when going through the normal line with PreCheck. At least that's my experience.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mt sympathies to folks in ATL. Let's hope TSA doesn't botch it as thoroughly as they did at MSP.

IMO DL needs to stand up for its passengers and end the TSA nonsense at its hubs.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by WWads
You shouldn't have to take off shoes/belt when going through the normal line with PreCheck. At least that's my experience.
I've found this only applies when the PreCheck lane is closed, and that if you self-select a non-PreCheck lane when PreCheck is open, you're not entitled to the PreCheck benefits.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
The PreCheck lanes in Atlanta have been unusually long for months - roped off way back toward the DL counters. It will be interesting to see if this redo makes any difference.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The TSA has pimped PreCheck and apparently gotten more pax to join thinking that it will be easier and faster... now the surprise is that you just get to wait in a different long line while they keep shuffling agents around and doing 'improvements' during holidays that don't do anything.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:37 pm

moderators - this is not a Delta specific post. I had a similar post in the UA form about TSA issues at ORD and that post was promptly moved elsewhere. Expect the same treatment here please.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by jasondc
moderators - this is not a Delta specific post. I had a similar post in the UA form about TSA issues at ORD and that post was promptly moved elsewhere. Expect the same treatment here please.
It is of interest to many DL FF's, as it's DL's primary hub.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For more details about what it actually involves http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ins-x-ray.html
Old May 10, 2016, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jasondc
Different forums have different moderators making different decisions, but if you're really so hurt by this, a more efficient way to notify the mods is via the red exclamation mark button in the full (non-mobile) version of the site. There's also Rule 18

Congrats on joining the 1000-post club though
Old May 10, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
Went through ATL on Monday at 1:30pm.
About a 10 minute wait through TSA Pre-Check
Sky Priority seemed like a huge mess/fiasco.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
For more details about what it actually involves http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ins-x-ray.html
I have repeatedly wondered when I've been in the UK why we don't have this style set up in the US! Totally eliminates the backlog at the x-ray if someone is taking a while to unpack their stuff into bins. I think this could make a huge difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.