Wiki Posts
Search

The Pilot Said What?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
The Pilot Said What?

Had an interesting "welcome aboard" speech last night.

Was connecting ATL-IAD on 1201. Last flight of the night, delayed an hour due to late arriving crew (no biggie, arriving at 1:15a instead of 12:15a makes little difference in my world). Then the captain welcomes us aboard:

"Sorry for the delay folks, we had a plane go down in Detroit."

I've never heard anything like it and the collective double-take from the rest of the PAX on board makes me think they hadn't either.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Ummmm..... I'd assume he meant "we had a plane with mechanical issues, causing it to be taken out of service". If so, amazingly poor choice of words. Because, really, who would want to go down in Detroit, of all places? San Diego, sure, but not Detroit.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:30 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tvtd
"Sorry for the delay folks, we had a plane go down in Detroit."
Originally Posted by EditingFX
. . . .amazingly poor choice of words.
Hoping they haven't employed a former <unsuccessful> kamikaze pilot!

Hope that wasn't in poor taste!
Old May 9, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Ummmm..... I'd assume he meant "we had a plane with mechanical issues, causing it to be taken out of service". If so, amazingly poor choice of words. Because, really, who would want to go down in Detroit, of all places? San Diego, sure, but not Detroit.
+1

Military jargon for jet that can't fly...e.g. "Tail 345 is down for hydraulics."
Old May 9, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Yes, but even when talking about airplanes, when phrasing something like that we say "Went offline" in the past tense. If we use the word 'down,' we are more referring to the current state of the plane, such as "N455AM is still down, maintenance is trying to find the source of the hydraulic fluid leak."

But hey, at the end of the day, we all have said something while thinking of several ways to phrase it and it comes out a mess. Perhaps he was thinking something like 'the plane is down for mx' or 'it went offline' or 'is broken' or whatever, and it came out jumbled as 'we had a plane go down.' Who knows. At the end of the day, everyone figured out what he meant.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Isn't that common terminology in all industries for equipment that is broken?
Old May 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
"going down" means different things in different industries....
Old May 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Isn't that common terminology in all industries for equipment that is broken?
It is, but I think in the "flying world", it is more often used as a euphemism for an "unscheduled landing".
Old May 9, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
I could see how people that don't understand that would find it frightening
Old May 9, 2016, 3:52 pm

A "plane go down" sounds fine for me. While there are many "better" word like "an unserviceable plane", it is not as worrisome as the words "a crashed plane". A crashed plane certainly brings to mind different images then a crashed server.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28
"going down" means different things in different industries....
Good one! <golf clap>
Old May 9, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by cher905
good one! <golf clap>
👏🏼
Old May 11, 2016, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PayItForward
A "plane go down" sounds fine for me. While there are many "better" word like "an unserviceable plane", it is not as worrisome as the words "a crashed plane". A crashed plane certainly brings to mind different images then a crashed server.
How about "hard landing" as a euphemism? However, isn't the term also used for folks in the military trying to convince a recruit or service academy student to drop out? There are also the soft landings that some airline and hotel programs give, so I guess being dropped to the bottom in status after having been a high tier elite would be a hard landing, right?

I had a strange pilot on a recent domestic flight. He began his preflight announcement by telling us that for DL flights, the "price includes pilots" and then continued to say a bit about his background and experience (33 years, retired Navy pilot).

Later on he said something about peanuts (taste buds prepare for takeoff) and pretzels (we have reach snacking altitude) that didn't make much sense, but I wasn't listening closely.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Silver
Well, that beats mine from yesterday.
Think the pilot left his mic on by accident when it came over the PA.
"Are they going to send someone from maintenance to fix it?...No,well we can do without it for this flight."
That got a few pax looking around anxiously.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by tridawg
Well, that beats mine from yesterday.
Think the pilot left his mic on by accident when it came over the PA.
"Are they going to send someone from maintenance to fix it?...No,well we can do without it for this flight."
That got a few pax looking around anxiously.
There are literally hundreds of things that can be "deferred" hours/days for maintenance. Por ejemplo: you wouldn't take a whole plane out of service because one seat is INOP or a coffee maker is broken. You have a MX guy come out, defer the seat/coffee maker and then it gets fixed later or next time it's in an MX hub. There are FAA limits on how long things can be deferred.

One of the airlines I worked for called these type of items: DMI: Deferred Maintenance Item or sometimes MEL: Minimum Equipment List (i.e. what MUST we have).

I was on a PACK (read: air conditioning) deferred CRJ flight yesterday. CRJ's have two PACKs, but can fly with just one operable...although it's really hot on the ground in the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.