Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Marketed and Ticketed Flight, Operated by Westjet, LAX-YYC

Old May 8, 16, 9:41 am
Original Poster

So we're on a flight to Calgary from LAX that I basically bought as a Delta flight, even though it's operated by Westjet. I saw that during the process, but just figured Westjet was a subcontractor like Skywest or Horizon. It looks like Westjet is a full-fledged airline.

What I'm wondering is, does my Delta status get me good seats (Platinum)?

And will we get Pre-check at LAX?
Old May 8, 16, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by Michael Ad View Post
So we're on a flight to Calgary from LAX that I basically bought as a Delta flight, even though it's operated by Westjet. I saw that during the process, but just figured Westjet was a subcontractor like Skywest or Horizon. It looks like Westjet is a full-fledged airline.

What I'm wondering is, does my Delta status get me good seats (Platinum)?

WestJet runs on a very similar model as European low cost carriers in that seats get assigned at check-in. Since it sounds as though you've booked this flight as a delta codeshare, you can't easily use their on-line check-in 24 hours, so you'll either need to call them or wait until the airport.

WestJet aircraft have no first class per se, although the middle seats in the first few rows are blocked. Together with enhanced meal/drink service, this is their business class service.

WestJet does not recognize delta medallion status, so no upgrade/preferential treatment. Their LAX terminal had a TSA pre check "light" version (no dedicated agent/screening but a shortcut line and keep shoes on with stamped boarding pass but laptop/toiletries out). That terminal is under constant construction though so may have already changed.

On board service is soft drink and a sweet or salty snack, everything else is at a charge. Planes usually have in-seat entertainment which within Canada is free sat tv. On US-Canada routes, they sub free movies instead (no reception). They usually don't have wifi on international routes either.
Old May 8, 16, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
DL should be able to give you the WS PNR so you can access the reservation on the WS website or app

I flew WS (booked as WS) last week LGA-YYZ-LGA, and was offered the option to purchase seats; there were a few coded "L" for "less desirable" -- last row, and non-reclining row ahead of the overwing exits -- that were available for free, and basically the entire seat map save for "Plus" (first 4-5 rows with blocked middles) opened up at OLCI

as for TSA, here's my experience at LGA last week ...
Old May 8, 16, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
WestJet is listed as a participating airline at LAX.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/map
Old May 8, 16, 11:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by gigglypug View Post
WestJet aircraft have no first class per se, although the middle seats in the first few rows are blocked. Together with enhanced meal/drink service, this is their business class service.

On board service is soft drink and a sweet or salty snack, everything else is at a charge. Planes usually have in-seat entertainment which within Canada is free sat tv. On US-Canada routes, they sub free movies instead (no reception). They usually don't have wifi on international routes either.
A few updates to this info ...

The first three or four rows of seating are what WestJet calls Plus ... not really business class, more of a premium economy product. Middle seat is blocked off as many European airlines do for their domestic business class, and you get more legroom. Plus also gets priority boarding. All drinks and meals (beer and wine included) are complementary to passengers seated in Plus. Increasingly, planes do not have seatback entertainment as interiors are upgraded to the new standard with Recarro slimline seats. They now stream movies and such to your own device. You will need to download the WestJet app prior to taking off in order to access this content.

WestJet is a pretty good airline. Both hard and soft product are above average for North American carriers. No medallion recognition, but customer service is typically very good to start with regardless. They do now participate in TSA Precheck.
Old May 8, 16, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info here.

So will I be able to check in on my Delta app? Or will I need the Westjet app?

If I need the WJ app, then I suppose I'll need to get them my TSA-Pre info somehow - or might that carry over from my Delta account?
Old May 8, 16, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
No medallion recognition, but customer service is typically very good to start with regardless.
I flew Westjet YVR-LAX on a Delta-issued ticket a few months ago. The Westjet agent on the phone said that seat assignments beforehand would cost money but that I could do them for free 24 h prior via OLCI (did not work for me, though) or when I arrived at the airport. When I showed the WestJet agent in Canada my Delta Diamond card I did not have to pay for checked luggage and got an aisle seat pretty close to the front of the plane, even though the plane was full and I checked in at the airport and hour or so prior to departure (I could not do it on line). So, unless the gate agent did me a favor to drum up more DL business, I think there is some sort of medallion recognition. Overall, I was quite impressed with Westjet.
Old May 8, 16, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
So will I be able to check in on my Delta app? Or will I need the Westjet app?
The DL app will not see your itin.
Old May 8, 16, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ View Post
The DL app will not see your itin.
Not really sure what you mean - it already shows in the app.

You mean I won't be able to check-in via the app?
Old May 8, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
You mean I won't be able to check-in via the app?
You always check-in with the operating carrier, in your case WS. The DL app might present you with a check-in option, but all it's gonna do is forward you to WS.
Old May 8, 16, 3:30 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
I flew Westjet YVR-LAX on a Delta-issued ticket a few months ago. The Westjet agent on the phone said that seat assignments beforehand would cost money but that I could do them for free 24 h prior via OLCI (did not work for me, though) or when I arrived at the airport. When I showed the WestJet agent in Canada my Delta Diamond card I did not have to pay for checked luggage and got an aisle seat pretty close to the front of the plane, even though the plane was full and I checked in at the airport and hour or so prior to departure (I could not do it on line). So, unless the gate agent did me a favor to drum up more DL business, I think there is some sort of medallion recognition. Overall, I was quite impressed with Westjet.
Good to hear. Hasn't happened for me yet, but again, given their great service to begin with I have zero complaints whatsoever. WestJet has become a favorite.
Old May 13, 16, 10:18 am
Original Poster

OK - here's another question: can I SDC this flight to a Delta flight? I see some better times on Delta metal. I assume that since I have a Delta flight number on the WestJet flights, I can SDC.
Old May 13, 16, 11:44 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
OK - here's another question: can I SDC this flight to a Delta flight? I see some better times on Delta metal. I assume that since I have a Delta flight number on the WestJet flights, I can SDC.
This is a YMMV. But if it's a DL issued ticket (sounds like it) and DL has full control, there should be no issue in that respect.

The problem is (as I posted in the SDC thread a few days ago)... DL will no longer let you change from like to like when it comes to connecting or not connecting or number of connections.

I was denied a change from a double connect to a single connect. DL said you can only move from a non stop to another non stop, or a single connection to another single connection etc.

This would preclude you SDC'ing as there are no DL nonstops on this route, only WS codeshares.

Now again, YMMV depending on the agent you get - but expect to get some blowback on changing and I would not count on it.

If you call DL, you can get the WS PNR. Depending on how you booked the ticket, the WS PNR will already show in the reservation at ViewTrip or CheckMyTrip etc. You * should * be able to do OLCI with WestJet using your WS PNR. I have done this before with no issue.

Heads up that right at T-24 WestJet offers special rates for the Plus seats if there are any unsold. If you can grab a Plus seat for $49 or some such, might be worth it. More leg room, middle seat is converted to a table that you share with the other seat giving more shoulder room and a little side table, plus free food (anything from the onboard menu) plus free booze plus priority boarding. I think it's worth it for any 2hr+ flights.
Old May 13, 16, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
This is a YMMV. But if it's a DL issued ticket (sounds like it) and DL has full control, there should be no issue in that respect. ...
DL says that SDC applies to DL and DL Connection flights only. That clearly means operating carrier.

Perhaps one might have luck on SDC for codeshares. But I seriously doubt having an 006 ticket is sufficient.
Old May 13, 16, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
DL says that SDC applies to DL and DL Connection flights only. That clearly means operating carrier.

Perhaps one might have luck on SDC for codeshares. But I seriously doubt having an 006 ticket is sufficient.
I think you can go FROM a codeshare to a DL operated flight if the original flight was a DL codeshare AND it was on DL ticket stock. Very much a YMMV depending on the agent though I think (some of the MN based Medallion agents still carry over some of the pre-NW days outlook and remember the old BUMP program for instance).

And a few months ago I was actually offered the option to go FROM a DL operated flight TO a WS operated, DL coded flight, but I was in F on DL and so I did not want to move to a Y-only WS flight.

For the OP, it's largely a moot point though given DL doesn't operate non-stops on this route.

And to be honest, everything with the SDC program seems to be very much a "YMMV" these days. I can't remember the last time when I was able to get one done without either some kind of pushing or a hang-up-call-again. Everything from incorrect information such as "ticket needs to be completely repriced" to "not applicable to International" when trying to change a flight to/from Canada (it's fine/allowed) through to "need to have same fare class available" when on a premium cabin ticket - it's never simple.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: