Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ND76
List of Airports and Checkpoint Locations: https://clearme.com/where-we-are

ATL - Main and South Checkpoints
AUS - Checkpoint 1
BWI - Checkpoint B/C/D/and E
CLE - Pre-Check Entrance (Center of Terminal)
DAL - Main Checkpoint
DCA - Terminal A: Checkpoint; Terminal B/C: South/North/Center Checkpoints
DEN - North and South Chekpoint
DFW - E16 Security Checkpoint
DTW - McNamara and North Terminal Checkpoints
HOU - Main Checkpoint
HPN - Main Checkpoint
IAD - Main Terminal Checkpoint
IAH - Terminal A South Checkpoint
JFK - T4 Sky Priority/Pre-Check
LAS - T1: A/B/C/D Checkpoints; T3: E Checkpoint
LAX - T2/T3/T4/T6/T7 Checkpoints only
LGA - Terminal A/C/and D checkpoints only
MCO - East and West Checkpoints
MIA - Concourse E and H checkpoints only
MSP - T1 North and South Checkpoint
SAT - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SEA - Checkpoints 2/3/4/and 5
SFO - T1: Checkpoints B and C; T2: Checkpoint; T3 Checkpoints F1,F2, and F3; International Terminal: Checkpoints A and G
SJC - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SLC - T2 Checkpoint only

Registration link: https://delta.clearme.com/

Once registered to complete enrollment bring one state approved ID to the enrollment center. You will need a valid, unamended US passport or passport card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, a valid US driver's license, state-issued photo ID card, or a military ID. Once your identity is verified, they will scan your finger prints and get a picture of your iris.

This process takes about 5-7 minutes and can be done before a flight.

Costs:
  • Diamond Medallion® members: Complimentary
  • Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • Delta AMEX primary card holders: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • General SkyMiles Members: $119 per year ($99 for those signed up before April 2019)

Keep in mind Family add-on fee is just $50

You may also wish to peruse this thread in the Trusted Travelers forum: Is CLEAR worth $179 a year? (it goes beyond the question in the title, the answer to which is obviously "no" given the above pricing )

Former CLEAR members:

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Give them a call to reactivate and give them your SkyMiles number. You shouldn't have to redo the biometrics.

https://clearme.com/faq -> click on "Former CLEAR Members"
From their FAQ: "We will honor any time that you have remaining on your CLEAR account. This time will be credited to you once you have reactivated your account."

Print Wikipost

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Zorak
as a CLEAR member I have no problem with this, but "getting priority" for "the same" resource is exactly the definition of "cutting in line". That doesn't mean it's improper or disallowed but it's still cutting.
Which line is being cut? They both filter to the same place.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DougSkymiles

The wait in LGA is for ID check. After ID check you go straight to the screening lane (single). Clear members are "cutting" in front of the regular ID check line. Clear and TSA were letting 5 Clear members in for every one non-clear member so the regular line was barely moving.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
potayto, potahto
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
The wait in LGA is for ID check. After ID check you go straight to the screening lane (single). Clear members are "cutting" in front of the regular ID check line. Clear and TSA were letting 5 Clear members in for every one non-clear member so the regular line was barely moving.
What gives you the idea that the ID check line that you refer to is the Pre-check line. In all the airports I travel through that have both, I walk through the Clear Lane, and once cleared, I am taken to a TSA agent that is ‘validating’ the appropriate credentials through both Clear and Pre-Check lanes.

The fact that TSA gives priority to Clear passengers is an issue you might have with TSA, but it is ‘clearly’ not the Clear passengers fault.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
as a CLEAR member I have no problem with this, but "getting priority" for "the same" resource is exactly the definition of "cutting in line". That doesn't mean it's improper or disallowed but it's still cutting.
The TSA agent checking ID's does not have to check the CLEAR people. They simply glance only at the BP and not the ID. No need to scan the BP and compare ID with face.
The ID check and BP scan step is being done by a bunch of private people with CLEAR to help free up the TSA person.
So CLEAR folks allow the TSA agents to be more efficient at that step of the process.
If there were no CLEAR and all CLEAR people were Precheck, then the precheck line would take longer. Not much longer, but longer.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
If there were no CLEAR and all CLEAR people were Precheck, then the precheck line would take longer. Not much longer, but longer.
I agree that this shortens the overall waiting time in the aggregate, but that doesn't change the fact that CLEAR+PreCheck members effectively get to cut in front of PreCheck.

Again, I'm not making a value judgement about it. But "you get to go in front of people who were already waiting when you got there" == cutting the line.
jordyn and lost_perspicacity like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

I agree that this shortens the overall waiting time in the aggregate, but that doesn't change the fact that CLEAR+PreCheck members effectively get to cut in front of PreCheck.

Again, I'm not making a value judgement about it. But "you get to go in front of people who were already waiting when you got there" == cutting the line.
Using that same thought process, it would mean that when a passenger with a PREM boarding pass walks up to board a flight using the SP Lane and there are several non-PREM passengers ‘in line,’ then the PREM passengers are in effect “cutting the line” even if the GA called for Them to board.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:25 pm

The person standing in line for regular PreCheck is helped because his line was reduced by all of the people who went through Clear who got there 5 minutes before he did. They are already past security instead of still clogging the line. You would not say all those people "cut" because you didn't see them, but they made your experience better because they were not in your line when you got there. You do see the people that "cut" when you are near the front. They are making the experience better for the people at the back of the line. What looks like "cutting" is just a deferred benefit for the people who arrived at the same time to both lines. Remember, no Clear, and EVERYONE is in your line and each person will take longer ahead of you on average.

Anyone who agrees that the line is shorter overall for the person who just enters the PreCheck queue vs everyone using the PreCheck queue without Clear, then why does it matter how the line gets shorter? Two ways to look at it if you don't like Clear...

1. "Clear members choose to pay to hire more people who take some of the bottleneck out from checking ID's and scanning BP's while people who don't pay still benefit... a little. And I don't have to give my fingerprints and iris scan to the government."

OR

2. "People are cutting the line and I don't care if I benefit or not, because it bugs me."

If you choose #2 , then just join Clear. If you don't want to pay to join Clear, then #1 is the way you should look at it, and stress out over something else.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:10 pm

Using that same thought process, it would mean that when a passenger with a PREM boarding pass walks up to board a flight using the SP Lane and there are several non-PREM passengers ‘in line,’ then the PREM passengers are in effect “cutting the line” even if the GA called for Them to board.
Great, so you do understand! That's exactly it, they are cutting the line.

I also have *zero* problem with that, by the way. As I said above, not all "cutting" Is evil or bad. It's just a definition.

The person standing in line for regular PreCheck is helped because his line was reduced by all of the people who went through Clear who got there 5 minutes before he did.
He's not helped by the people who arrive AFTER he got in the PreCheck line but get to go in front of him because they have CLEAR.

Two ways to look at it if you don't like Clear...

1. "Clear members choose to pay to hire more people who take some of the bottleneck out from checking ID's and scanning BP's while people who don't pay still benefit... a little. And I don't have to give my fingerprints and iris scan to the government."

OR

2. "People are cutting the line and I don't care if I benefit or not, because it bugs me."

If you choose #2 , then just join Clear. If you don't want to pay to join Clear, then #1 is the way you should look at it, and stress out over something else.
You must have missed where I said I have CLEAR, and have zero problem with how it works. But it's still cutting in line. You guys are getting hung up on assuming that has negative connotations. It doesn't necessarily.

I have no stress over how CLEAR works, I get bugged when words are misused
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

He's not helped by the people who arrive AFTER he got in the PreCheck line but get to go in front of him because they have CLEAR.
Agree. But he is helped a lot more by the people who got to "cut" the line (people who chose to pay to increase the efficiency) before he got there, making the line shorter in the first place. The experience of standing in line should begin when you arrive at the line. Much shorter line that moves a little slower vs Much longer line that moves a little faster. One might fail to give proper value to the shorter line present when one arrives in the first place because 1.The Clears are not in it, and 2. A better staffed ID check has processed more people per minute than before he even arrived at the line.

In the end, having Clear processes more people per minute through the bottleneck of the ID Check / BP scan than not having Clear does. Because Clear members pay to make it that way. Therefore, with Clear, the shorter line that moves a little slower for the regular PreCheck pax wins because the bottleneck is more efficient due to the help from the Clear staff.

Before taking issue about people "cutting" right in front of him, remember that he benefits more from the people who "cut" before he even arrived to the line. One has no problem benefiting from that "cutting" because one never witnesses it, and then they fail to weigh it against the pain of a short period of witnessed "cutting" that happens near the finish line.

When there is a paid upgrade to efficiency, people who pay benefit. In this case, people who don't pay also benefit, but less so compared to the control case of no Clear at all.

Now this matters less if they constantly have to stop checking ID's and wait because the baggage screening is understaffed. But that is a TSA issue, not a Clear issue.
puck021 and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Maybe you are all having trouble understanding the issue because you don't realize how small the screening area at LGA is?

All your theories about how clear is better for everyone dont help me when I am 15th in line for ID check and it takes 30 minutes to get through because one "regular" person is processed every two minutes becuase the area behind ID check is constantly full of a steady stream of clears .
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Maybe you are all having trouble understanding the issue because you don't realize how small the screening area at LGA is?

All your theories about how clear is better for everyone dont help me when I am 15th in line for ID check and it takes 30 minutes to get through because one "regular" person is processed every two minutes becuase the area behind ID check is constantly full of a steady stream of clears .
And assuming all other things are equal, that line you joined was a lot shorter than it could have been because of the steady stream of Clears who got through before you even arrived.

If there was no Clear, then you would be 45th (assuming a steady stream of Clears is 2 for every 1 non-Clear) in a line that now takes 45 minutes.

Anything that makes the bottleneck more efficient helps everyone, just not equally, but the Clears are paying for the non-Clear small benefit.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

No one is “cutting” the line by using Clear. The Clear lane and the Pre-Check lanes just typically filter through the same TSA area, and Clear passengers are getting priority.
Actually, a couple of times at LAX (I think this was in the T5) days, Clear person took me to the front of the conveyer belt -- so I did cut in front of PreCheck people who had had their ID's checked but had not yet reached the conveyer. The first time I was so surprised I went with it. The next time (maybe twice more) I declined and merged with the PreCheck line.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:20 am

Speaking as a Diamond CLEAR member, it’s cute how you’re all pretending the slow part of a TSA line (even a PreCheck one) is getting ID checked rather than the luggage and metal detector.

CLEAR is a paid prioritizarion service and it does jack all to reduce the per-person costs of security. The biometric auth is cool but hardly changes anything except one’s need to keep an ID handy.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:28 am

The person standing in line for regular PreCheck is helped because his line was reduced by all of the people who went through Clear who got there 5 minutes before he did. They are already past security instead of still clogging the line. You would not say all those people "cut" because you didn't see them, but they made your experience better because they were not in your line when you got there.
Eh, if they are really allowing Clear people through at a 5:1 ratio to non-clear people, it's entirely possible that the non-Clear people are actually being slowed down even if overall throughput and average wait time is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.