Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ND76
List of Airports and Checkpoint Locations: https://clearme.com/where-we-are

ATL - Main and South Checkpoints
AUS - Checkpoint 1
BWI - Checkpoint B/C/D/and E
CLE - Pre-Check Entrance (Center of Terminal)
DAL - Main Checkpoint
DCA - Terminal A: Checkpoint; Terminal B/C: South/North/Center Checkpoints
DEN - North and South Chekpoint
DFW - E16 Security Checkpoint
DTW - McNamara and North Terminal Checkpoints
HOU - Main Checkpoint
HPN - Main Checkpoint
IAD - Main Terminal Checkpoint
IAH - Terminal A South Checkpoint
JFK - T4 Sky Priority/Pre-Check
LAS - T1: A/B/C/D Checkpoints; T3: E Checkpoint
LAX - T2/T3/T4/T6/T7 Checkpoints only
LGA - Terminal A/C/and D checkpoints only
MCO - East and West Checkpoints
MIA - Concourse E and H checkpoints only
MSP - T1 North and South Checkpoint
SAT - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SEA - Checkpoints 2/3/4/and 5
SFO - T1: Checkpoints B and C; T2: Checkpoint; T3 Checkpoints F1,F2, and F3; International Terminal: Checkpoints A and G
SJC - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SLC - T2 Checkpoint only

Registration link: https://delta.clearme.com/

Once registered to complete enrollment bring one state approved ID to the enrollment center. You will need a valid, unamended US passport or passport card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, a valid US driver's license, state-issued photo ID card, or a military ID. Once your identity is verified, they will scan your finger prints and get a picture of your iris.

This process takes about 5-7 minutes and can be done before a flight.

Costs:
  • Diamond Medallion® members: Complimentary
  • Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • Delta AMEX primary card holders: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • General SkyMiles Members: $119 per year ($99 for those signed up before April 2019)

Keep in mind Family add-on fee is just $50

You may also wish to peruse this thread in the Trusted Travelers forum: Is CLEAR worth $179 a year? (it goes beyond the question in the title, the answer to which is obviously "no" given the above pricing )

Former CLEAR members:

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Give them a call to reactivate and give them your SkyMiles number. You shouldn't have to redo the biometrics.

https://clearme.com/faq -> click on "Former CLEAR Members"
From their FAQ: "We will honor any time that you have remaining on your CLEAR account. This time will be credited to you once you have reactivated your account."

Print Wikipost

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
I'm wondering how Clear would go over at MSP. I've never had to wait in the airline elite line at the north checkpoint (because for some reason this is the unofficial NKCM line instead of CP 3 :P..). Just a very long walk from start to finish. I guess only time will tell.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by ruckzac
.....Delta announced a plan for a 5% stake in CLEAR......
I wonder what "promotional" emails I will receive from Delta based on my biometric data:

* "We noticed you have a fairly common eye color. Buy these colored contact lens and stand out in the crowd."
* "People with your same hand size are buying these gloves."
* "We couldn't help but notice that you have a retina scan that is consistent with diabetic damage. Here's a link to a good doctor."
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
I've seen some pretty epic lines at MCO and crickets chirping in the clear area.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
As a counterpoint, we fly regularly from MCO, MIA, DEN & SFO - all CLEAR locations. In every case, it is FAR quicker than Pre-Check - especially during peak travel periods where the Pre-Check line gets long. The fingerprint scan takes 10 seconds and then we jump in front of everyone waiting in the Pre-Check line.

I, for one, love it and hope they keep expanding.

Exactly. I routinely time my arrival at DEN and SFO to coincide to 15 minutes prior to boarding. With Clear + Pre I get to the gate and walk on. I'd have to skip my last meeting in both cities without Clear. Anyone questioning the merits of Clear is simply uninformed (or, only flies in the off-peak).

Last edited by jamienbaker; Apr 29, 2016 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
I thought CLEAR went away again... or at least I was hoping it did. I remember when this crap first came out and they over expanded and went bust because almost nobody used it. I also question how secure their systems are with personal and biometric data.

Don't need another 'service' to pay money. Their normal pricing of $179/yr is a joke. Hopefully as precheck expands this service will fade away again. Getting to jump to the front of the Pre line and save up to 5 minutes isn't worth it when you already have global entry or precheck.
I disagree. The Precheck line(s) at DEN, SFO, and LAS can be absolutely atrocious at times. DEN is my homebase and last week the Precheck line was wrapped around the divider and almost back to the starting point on the other side! If you regularly fly through any of the airports that are supported, it's well worth the money.

They also have a discount of $60/year for anyone with a Visa Signature credit card, which makes the price a very palatable $120 annually. $10/month to save myself 20+ minutes of waiting in the Precheck line 2-3x a week? No brainer. But, if you don't fly through any of their supported airports or at peak times, it has very little value.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
If this becomes a complimentary DM perk, I might sign up for it. I'm still peeved at CLEAR for the little game they played at IAH Terminal A (the terminal Delta flies out of).

Previously, only one side of the terminal had Pre. It wasn't Delta's side, but it was an easy 5 minute walk after security to the correct side. The Pre line was almost always empty, so you could walk up, get through in 30 seconds and be on your way. Then CLEAR moved in. They were always empty and things went on as they normally did.

Well, I guess the zero traffic for CLEAR didn't sit too well with them, so they convinced Houston Airport System to put a little chokepoint before you get to the non-CLEAR lanes. Now, if you're approaching the security line, you go to the pre-screener who will direct you to either Pre-Check line or the normal line. If you have CLEAR, however, you don't have to deal with that long pre-line line and can just walk right up to the CLEAR terminals.

I find the usefulness of a service to be highly suspect when the company has to resort to those sorts of tactics to drum up business.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:15 pm

I passed a young lady while coming in to SFO from the rental garage a couple of weeks ago, who told me (repeatedly) that Clear would let me "bypass security". I told her that I wasn't interested because I had PreCheck, and she said that Clear would "bypass" PreCheck too.

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
If so, then I don't know of any airports with CLEAR but not Pre-Check.
While I don't have Clear, it would be helpful at IAH Terminal D because it's all international carriers that don't participate in Pre-Check.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28
I've seen some pretty epic lines at MCO and crickets chirping in the clear area.
[rant]MCO is an infuriatingly disorganized airport.

Having a zillion individual straight queues instead of one or two "mazes" feeding the BP checkers/security lanes is crazy.

Current system is less fair (not FIFO), and less efficient (there are some lines that go unutilized at times even when others have huge queues.

The "manual" required removal and application of the ropes to the monorail is also ridiculous (at least 4-5 dedicated people who do seemingly nothing but unhook and rebook the ropes across the doors for every tram... even though the team has automatic doors. Must be a union gig :-P

And making people wait in the security area for the incoming Tram to arrive and unload instead of allowing them to queue at the doors (which are on the other side, as they should be... Is just crazy to me, and further backs up security lines.

Would take an hour of optimization to cut lines in half... Ugh. (If you can't tell, I really hate flying through MCO).[/rant]

So yes, free Clear is welcome for MCO and DEN... Close to Useless just about everywhere else currently (unless I'm missing something)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:58 pm

It doesn't seem too bad at my home airport (LAS). The pre-check line does move pretty fast but if you use the CLEAR terminals they will take your handprint and approve you, then the CLEAR attendent walks you over to the front of the pre-check line and you are waved through. Pre-check is pretty fast, this might save a minute or two tops.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by vincentharris
That sounds like its a downgrade not an upgrade for DM's.

CLEAR is really still in business? That thing sucks.
What "sucks" about it? Other than the fact that it's only available in a couple of airports? It actually works quite well IMO and it's a lot less crowded than some PreCheck lines. Tell an MCO regular that it "sucks" and they'll laugh at you as they go through security in 2-3 minutes while you're stuck in the ridiculous TSA line.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
What "sucks" about it? Other than the fact that it's only available in a couple of airports? It actually works quite well IMO and it's a lot less crowded than some PreCheck lines. Tell an MCO regular that it "sucks" and they'll laugh at you as they go through security in 2-3 minutes while you're stuck in the ridiculous TSA line.
Save your breath. Those that claims it sucks are simply ignorant or don't value their time. You can't change the minds of people like that. Oh, and you can't claim it sucks just because it isn't at your local airport. Le Bernardin doesn't suck just because it isn't at the end of my driveway.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
Random thoughts:

I am MCO based so my mileage may vary a bit from others. Before the days of pre-check (PC), CLEAR was great before they went bankrupt as the regular TSA lines were outrageous at peak times. CLEAR saved the day many times and totally justified my cost. They were also in a decent-enough number or airports. We have all been there when you finish your project early and try to get on an earlier flight home. You rush to the airport trying to make that flight and the TSA lines were out the door! CLEAR saved me many times and got me on that home-bound flight being able to “bypass” the long TSA lines. That’s worth it’s weight in gold right there!

MCO has a CLEAR line (non PC) as well as a CLEAR line (w/ PC).

I still pay for pre-check and CLEAR. If the pre-check line doesn’t look too long, I simply use the PC line and speed on thru. Last Monday morning, the PC line was super long so I used the PC CLEAR line and butted ahead of the long PC line but still got to stay in the PC line! This saves me a bunch of time.

So most of the time I use the PC line, but there are still enough times where the CLEAR line gets me thru faster, so I still see it’s value and pay for both each year. In some airports, the PC line isn’t open all the time depending on the time of day.

Please watch the South Park episode where Cartman buys an amusement park. Once everyone has “fast pass” for the roller coaster, then essentially NO ONE has fast pass. The lines and waits will be just as bad as before once “everyone” has pre-check. It kinda defeats the purpose. It also kinda defeats the purpose of PC when folks who never fly get a random PC. They fumble over what to do and slow the line down. Punch line: the more people get PC, the longer those lines get and less value it becomes, assuming they don’t open up more PC lines.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Porter2112
Random thoughts:

I am MCO based so my mileage may vary a bit from others. Before the days of pre-check (PC), CLEAR was great before they went bankrupt as the regular TSA lines were outrageous at peak times. CLEAR saved the day many times and totally justified my cost. They were also in a decent-enough number or airports. We have all been there when you finish your project early and try to get on an earlier flight home. You rush to the airport trying to make that flight and the TSA lines were out the door! CLEAR saved me and got me of that home-bound flight being able to “bypass” the long TSA lines. That’s worth it’s weight in gold right there!

MCO has a CLEAR line (non PC) as well as a CLEAR line (w/ PC).

I still pay for pre-check and CLEAR. If the pre-check line doesn’t look too long, I simply use the PC line and speed on thru. Last Monday morning, the PC line was super long so I used the PC CLEAR line and butted ahead of the long PC line but still got to stay in the PC line! This saves me a bunch of time.

So most of the time I use the PC line, but there are still enough times where the CLEAR line gets me thru faster, so I still see it’s value and pay for both each year. In some airports, the PC line isn’t open all the time depending on the time of day.

Please watch the South Park episode where Cartman buys an amusement park. Once everyone has “fast pass” for the roller coaster, then essentially NO ONE has fast pass. The lines and waits will be just as bad as before once “everyone” has pre-check. It kinda defeats the purpose. It also kinda defeats the purpose of PC when folks who never fly get a random PC. They fumble over what to do and slow the line down. Punch line: the more people get PC, the longer those lines get and less value it becomes, assuming they don’t open up more PC lines.
Good post. Only difference for me is I always use Clear as I figure if I don't, it'll disappear again. Not rational, I suppose. But the agents always seem so lonely and bored. I figure I owe them a smile and a break from their boredom.

Travel safely, Jamie
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
As a counterpoint, we fly regularly from MCO, MIA, DEN & SFO - all CLEAR locations. In every case, it is FAR quicker than Pre-Check - especially during peak travel periods where the Pre-Check line gets long. The fingerprint scan takes 10 seconds and then we jump in front of everyone waiting in the Pre-Check line.

I, for one, love it and hope they keep expanding.

I am happy to have the CLEAR line to myself.

I am MCO based, so CLEAR has been a life saver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.