Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ND76
List of Airports and Checkpoint Locations: https://clearme.com/where-we-are

ATL - Main and South Checkpoints
AUS - Checkpoint 1
BWI - Checkpoint B/C/D/and E
CLE - Pre-Check Entrance (Center of Terminal)
DAL - Main Checkpoint
DCA - Terminal A: Checkpoint; Terminal B/C: South/North/Center Checkpoints
DEN - North and South Chekpoint
DFW - E16 Security Checkpoint
DTW - McNamara and North Terminal Checkpoints
HOU - Main Checkpoint
HPN - Main Checkpoint
IAD - Main Terminal Checkpoint
IAH - Terminal A South Checkpoint
JFK - T4 Sky Priority/Pre-Check
LAS - T1: A/B/C/D Checkpoints; T3: E Checkpoint
LAX - T2/T3/T4/T6/T7 Checkpoints only
LGA - Terminal A/C/and D checkpoints only
MCO - East and West Checkpoints
MIA - Concourse E and H checkpoints only
MSP - T1 North and South Checkpoint
SAT - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SEA - Checkpoints 2/3/4/and 5
SFO - T1: Checkpoints B and C; T2: Checkpoint; T3 Checkpoints F1,F2, and F3; International Terminal: Checkpoints A and G
SJC - Terminal A and B Checkpoints
SLC - T2 Checkpoint only

Registration link: https://delta.clearme.com/

Once registered to complete enrollment bring one state approved ID to the enrollment center. You will need a valid, unamended US passport or passport card, US-issued Permanent Resident Card, a valid US driver's license, state-issued photo ID card, or a military ID. Once your identity is verified, they will scan your finger prints and get a picture of your iris.

This process takes about 5-7 minutes and can be done before a flight.

Costs:
  • Diamond Medallion® members: Complimentary
  • Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • Delta AMEX primary card holders: $109 per year ($79 for those signed up before April 2019)
  • General SkyMiles Members: $119 per year ($99 for those signed up before April 2019)

Keep in mind Family add-on fee is just $50

You may also wish to peruse this thread in the Trusted Travelers forum: Is CLEAR worth $179 a year? (it goes beyond the question in the title, the answer to which is obviously "no" given the above pricing )

Former CLEAR members:

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Give them a call to reactivate and give them your SkyMiles number. You shouldn't have to redo the biometrics.

https://clearme.com/faq -> click on "Former CLEAR Members"
From their FAQ: "We will honor any time that you have remaining on your CLEAR account. This time will be credited to you once you have reactivated your account."

Print Wikipost

Delta/CLEAR partnership (free/reduced membership)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've found minimal value with it. While Clear is a nice perk for DM, I highly doubt that I would pay for it. As others mentioned, I have similar experiences with the normal precheck line being the same or shorter than the clear one. I've only had one flight where the precheck queue was significant and clear was no wait... that was on a busy holiday travel day.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I do pay for it because I find it to be advantageous in every airport I tend to visit EXCEPT my home airport, ATL (not including major holidays). On Monday mornings there can be so many people waiting for Clear that we are herded into an overflow waiting area across the hallway from the main Clear + Pre line. The problem in ATL is that Clear funnels to 1-2 id checker and 2 belts which are also handling non-Clear and wheelchairs/mobility issues. Pre-check can be expanded to up to 8 stations (I think that's the most I've seen) - including an entrance on the North terminal side, but Clear is stuck. Clear also does a horrible job with manpower in ATL. I'll often see 8-10 Clear employees working to sign people up but yet they will only have 3-4 working the biometric scanners so Clear folks have to wait for an employee to become free, watch you, walk you the 10 feet to the TSA person and then return to their spot to get another person. Really should have 2 people for each biometric scanner during busy times so while one employee is walking a pax up to the TSA, the other is starting the process with the next pax - no downtime.

In ATL, if I see the overflow waiting area in use I don't even bother with Clear. Also at ATL, sometimes even when I start in the Clear line I end up ducking under the rope separating non-Clear pre-check from Clear because the line is shorter/moving way faster.

ATL aside my experience is overall quite good, and worth the $$$, but, it's all going to be airport + time of day/day of week dependent.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by rogo
Your personal experiences notwithstanding lines for PreCheck at T4 can and do run upwards of 30 minutes.
When? I am genuinely curious (I don't doubt your accounts). I usually go to T4 in the evenings (between 4-9) for flights either to the West Coast or to Europe. Usually, I walk from SkyPriority check-in to a nearly empty Pre-Check line. I don't think I have ever seen more than half a dozen people in the Pre-Check line...
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I do pay for it because I find it to be advantageous in every airport I tend to visit EXCEPT my home airport, ATL (not including major holidays). On Monday mornings there can be so many people waiting for Clear that we are herded into an overflow waiting area across the hallway from the main Clear + Pre line. The problem in ATL is that Clear funnels to 1-2 id checker and 2 belts which are also handling non-Clear and wheelchairs/mobility issues. Pre-check can be expanded to up to 8 stations (I think that's the most I've seen) - including an entrance on the North terminal side, but Clear is stuck. Clear also does a horrible job with manpower in ATL. I'll often see 8-10 Clear employees working to sign people up but yet they will only have 3-4 working the biometric scanners so Clear folks have to wait for an employee to become free, watch you, walk you the 10 feet to the TSA person and then return to their spot to get another person. Really should have 2 people for each biometric scanner during busy times so while one employee is walking a pax up to the TSA, the other is starting the process with the next pax - no downtime.

In ATL, if I see the overflow waiting area in use I don't even bother with Clear. Also at ATL, sometimes even when I start in the Clear line I end up ducking under the rope separating non-Clear pre-check from Clear because the line is shorter/moving way faster.

ATL aside my experience is overall quite good, and worth the $$$, but, it's all going to be airport + time of day/day of week dependent.
This is a near perfect description of ATL.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
IAD-LHR this past Monday evening - TSA Pre with Clear seemed to be crazier than the Pre line...so stayed with my sister in the regular Pre line.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by Adelphos
When? I am genuinely curious (I don't doubt your accounts). I usually go to T4 in the evenings (between 4-9) for flights either to the West Coast or to Europe. Usually, I walk from SkyPriority check-in to a nearly empty Pre-Check line. I don't think I have ever seen more than half a dozen people in the Pre-Check line...
Well that's part of it, I'm sure. First, it's definitely worse on some days than others... Thursday evening business getaway day is bad. Mornings are often PreCheck heavy as well.

This isn't an always kind of problem, but it's an "often enough" problem that I really value Clear there. It has saved me at least one flight I'd have missed.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Saved a TON of time @LAS today; a non-PC/non-CLEAR co-worker came in some ~20 mins behind me.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Saved a TON of time @LAS today; a non-PC/non-CLEAR co-worker came in some ~20 mins behind me.
LAS can be one of those airports where CLEAR is an absolute godsend. Last year had a conference in LAS that ended Thursday afternoon, Friday morning somewhere in the neighborhood of 60K+ people trying to depart and the regular line was a sea of humanity that looked just dreadful, the PreCheck line, while not as bad, was several hundred feet from the entrance. So far in fact that I didn't notice the CLEAR terminals and only after being in line for a few minutes did I notice far in the distance someone in a blue vest walking someone through the line and realized I had forgot that CLEAR was in LAS; my coworker who had PreCheck but not CLEAR found me in the lounge about an hour later.

Originally Posted by fishsupreme
I do pay for it (Platinum, not Diamond, so it's a discounted rate but not free).

I mostly fly out of SEA, and have regular business trips to SFO. For some reason, in SEA the PreCheck line is generally longer than the standard line (it's still faster of course, but it does wind back and forth several times and can take 20+ minutes.) PreCheck+CLEAR means no wait at all, and on business trips (where I don't check bags) I can literally get to the airport 30 minutes before my flight.
I also pay (Silver) and can attest that at SEA the PreCheck line can get massive, especially when its cruise season and a business traveler day I've seen people with signs "Line ends here" out by the checkin desks. Meanwhile I plan my departure to the airport so I get there T-45 if S gates and T-40 otherwise, and usually am at the gate with a few minutes to spare before boarding starts. Frankly if they doubled the price I'd not blink at the cost.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
CLEAR Discount for DL Reduced?

I got an email from CLEAR about my upcoming renewal and the rate for PM is going to $109/yr. (It was $79 last year) BTW $109 is only a $10 discount off of the full price for General SkyMiles Members, but still a discount off of the $179 full price. Deal is similar for UA.
https://www.clearme.com/partner/delta

(I looked and couldn't find another post with this info in the DL forum)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Certainly not worth that kind of money every year unless somebody is flying every week at peak times when the Pre line is busy... and even then the amount of time savings is minimal <10 min.
I know I would not pay for that. Only reason I have Clear is since its comp as part of DM.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is CLEAR still free for DMs? How about extended DMs? Does anyone know?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is CLEAR still free for DMs? How about extended DMs? Does anyone know?
Free for DM. There's no way for Clear to tell difference. All the system does is check current status at time of purchase.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Clear is a waste of time in ATL if you're precheck. Every time I've flown this fall, the clear line has taken longer to process than PRE based on watching pax in each.
flyerCO and MichaelKade like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Can't speak to Atlanta, but Clear plus Pre-Check at JFK is absolutely awesome - I'm through security in 2 minutes or less. You need to go to the right line, which is on the far right side of the security area.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
CLEAR in DCA is absolutely worth it - means leaving work 45 min before flight, hopping on a metro, and walking to the gate practically without stopping. I get it for free as DM but would pay if I didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.