Perhaps that explains why some bags never resurface
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Perhaps that explains why some bags never resurface
One does not simply *walk* into Mordor
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Re: Routed to Carousel - thus has caused me some confusion, as well. But I don't think it's just between two planes. I've also seen it between initial bag drop and "Bag on Plane" (most recently earlier this week on a domestic nonstop ex-ATL).

Perhaps a better label is something like "Bag in Sorting Area" or "Bag wandering around inner depths of airport underbelly"
Real tracking labels are "In sortation," "Pushed to pier X," "At pier X," and "at XXX airport." It's puzzling why any label would be replaced with "routed to carousel."
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
Real tracking labels are "In sortation," "Pushed to pier X," "At pier X," and "at XXX airport." It's puzzling why any label would be replaced with "routed to carousel."
Thanks for the insight (again)! I agree - I'd much rather see the labels you listed then the cryptic "Routed to Carousel."

Alas...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I call BS "sortation" cannot be a real word
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3furballs
What do you call baggage sortation systems?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 3furballs
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sortation
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Love this. And would be great if it pushed to the app "Your bag is arriving on the carousel now" (kinda like: "your Uber is arriving now").

That way, you don't have to crowd the carousel, don't have to rush in the restroom, etc.
Ask and ye shall receive! http://news.delta.com/fly-delta-app-...t-checking-bag
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
This is great news, but I wonder how useful it will be? I frequently have my bags in my hand at PDX while the app is still showing that they are on the plane (as recently as last week). A couple of weeks ago I had a 2 hour layover at JFK and the app tracking had my bags loaded onto my incoming flight until about 5 minutes before boarding my outgoing flight. Did that plane sit parked with the luggage still on board until just before my RJ was scheduled to depart?

I don't need inch by inch tracking, but it's not very useful if it doesn't at least track the big steps:
*Checked at counter
*Held at sorting area
*Loaded on flight
*Unloaded at connecting airport
*Held at sorting area
*Loaded on connecting flight
*Unloaded from connecting flight
*Delivered to carousel #x
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
This is great news, but I wonder how useful it will be? I frequently have my bags in my hand at PDX while the app is still showing that they are on the plane (as recently as last week). A couple of weeks ago I had a 2 hour layover at JFK and the app tracking had my bags loaded onto my incoming flight until about 5 minutes before boarding my outgoing flight. Did that plane sit parked with the luggage still on board until just before my RJ was scheduled to depart?

I don't need inch by inch tracking, but it's not very useful if it doesn't at least track the big steps:
*Checked at counter
*Held at sorting area
*Loaded on flight
*Held at sorting area
In that case the bag may not,have been scanned. I've seen more then one person freaked out because their bags are labeled on way to carousel just because they got unloaded from a plane and haven't been scanned yet at the holding area for the next flight.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

*Checked at counter
*Held at sorting area
*Loaded on flight
*Held at sorting area
Internal tracking shows all those points you mentioned. I don't think the app shows all that stuff because it's a lot of noise that the average passenger either doesn't care about, or would just confuse them. As a passenger, all I really look for is that my bag was loaded onboard before the flight departs. I don't care that it was internally scanned In sortation 13 times (literally) during its 50 minute connection.

It would be cool if the app could let you see the full tracking info., but that would cost money that is otherwise being spent on SNAPP improvements.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:29 pm

I don't care that it was internally scanned In sortation 13 times (literally) during its 50 minute connection.
Nor do I, But I do want to know that my stuff got on *and off* of each plane. In my JFK example, according to the app, my bags were loaded onto a plane at PDX - and then *nothing* happened with them until they were loaded onto my connecting flight at JFK.

Likewise, when I return home the tracking reports that my bags are still on the plane while I can see them on the carousel. This particular one has happened every time I have flown into PDX since the RFID tags went live (basically weekly). I pay attention because most weeks my wife is at the cell phone lot waiting for me to let her know that I am on my way to the curb. In fact, I have had the app show my luggage still on the plane while I am standing at the curb with it, waiting for my ride!

If the technology is there, why not use it?

I am pretty sensitive to the tracking because I carry a small tool bag which I have to check due to a couple of screwdrivers and a razor knife that the TSA won't let me through security with. It's about the size of a shoe box and while it has never been lost, it has failed to be unloaded from the plane several times, requiring a visit to the baggage service office and a call to the ramp. If I could see bags on the carousel but that particular one still showing on the plane, I could start that process without waiting for every other bag to be claimed by its owner.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Local and national news has been reporting on Delta's new RFID bag tracking technology the past couple of days however all of the stories I have watched keep referring to it as GPS technology in the bag tag and that you can track its location in real time.

It makes me so mad, that is so misleading and incorrect. It's just a simple reporting of the bag scans at various check points. They have had scanners forever now it's just a RFID tag instead of a barcode.

Big eye roll.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I have actually had more lost bags in the last month than the previous 5 years (excluding international flights). I guess with the RFID chips I can see in real time that my bag didn't fly with me...
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Local and national news has been reporting on Delta's new RFID bag tracking technology the past couple of days however all of the stories I have watched keep referring to it as GPS technology in the bag tag and that you can track its location in real time.

It makes me so mad, that is so misleading and incorrect. It's just a simple reporting of the bag scans at various check points. They have had scanners forever now it's just a RFID tag instead of a barcode.

Big eye roll.
Yeah, well....I see "travel secrets" stories all the time that are just plain wrong, so color me surprised.

However, travelling right now and am getting to experience the push notifications on Android app. They do seem to be quite timely and save me the trouble of constantly refreshing the bag tracking page in the app. It's not huge, but I think it's a nice addition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.