Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RFID chips in every bag tag, May 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by WWads
That's rather hilarious. Has to be a record haha.
I think the issue ended up being that it sat on a skid too long because I had a little bit longer of a layover in ord prior to the international leg and thats when things went south. On a side note I had to listen to ex democratic minority leader Dick Gephardt yak it up on his phone in the AC and couldnt hear the TV. Many people including me were irritated. He didnt need to big time us on his phone we all knew who he was. I always hear people being loud in the ord delta SC as well. Must be a ORD thing.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've had much worse luck on Delta than AA or UA. I've checked 3x more bags on UA and never had one miss my flight, while I've had several missed on Delta. Every time Delta has left my bags behind have been on direct flights too, very frustrating.

They've always taken good care of me in terms of reimbursing my expenses but I'd still prefer my bags come with me. I do welcome their new system, and it seems to be an industry leader. Just hope they execute.

I did get a chuckle once in the Delta baggage services line when another passenger with missing luggage kept repeating Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. Took me a minute to get it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've had much worse luck on Delta than AA or UA. I've checked 3x more bags on UA and never had one miss my flight, while I've had several missed on Delta. Every time Delta has left my bags behind have been on direct flights too, very frustrating.

They've always taken good care of me in terms of reimbursing my expenses but I'd still prefer my bags come with me. I do welcome their new system, and it seems to be an industry leader. Just hope they execute.

I did get a chuckle once in the Delta baggage services line when another passenger with missing luggage kept repeating Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. Took me a minute to get it.
Must be a YMMV situation. AA got bags to me days late regularly and even lost a bag. On Delta I have had great luck since I switched to the them several yrs ago. The last time I flew WN with a checked bag was about 6 yrs ago they couldnt find my bag because they didnt yet have a barcode system. I have flown them twice since but always with a roller carry on.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:09 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
LAS and HKG have has RFID tags in the luggage tags for years. If you fly out of LAS and hold your luggage tag up to the light you can see the RFID in it.

That system was used to increase efficiency with luggage handling as the barcodes aren't always visible to the scanner on the routing belts.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by puddinhead
LAS and HKG have has RFID tags in the luggage tags for years. If you fly out of LAS and hold your luggage tag up to the light you can see the RFID in it.

That system was used to increase efficiency with luggage handling as the barcodes aren't always visible to the scanner on the routing belts.
If you transit HKG they'll also stick a square RFID sticker on your bag (it's red/white striped, with HKIA written all over it), presumably for the same purpose.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
Alaska has been innovative with self-tag options, but I was shocked to hear they don't scan bags like Delta does so passengers rarely know where their delayed bags are or when they're coming. Alaska is great and always improving so maybe they've caught up since last I heard.

It makes me happy when customers are surprised that I know exactly where their bags are.
Alaska is working on permanent RFID tags with a screen (one of the unpowered ones like in some Kindles) that will be left on a bag and updated electronically for each trip; no need to print tags at all. I think they're rolling out a trial soon. Those tags will certainly be scanned.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by WWads
I really don't understand why AA and UA can't copy what DL has done with baggage handling.
When my local airport had UA service--just discontinued--the biggest complaint was not just that checked baggage didn't arrive, but that UA was unable to say where it was or when it would arrive.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:10 am

A chicken in every pot and a RFID tag on every bag.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by bennos
The major item I'd really like to see addressed is improved reliability across carriers, especially SkyTeam and JV partners, but that's a much larger boulder to push uphill...
A colleague was flying NYC-BOS (DL) and connecting to BOS-FCO (AZ). The app indicated that the bags were delivered to the carousel in BOS, but did not indicate anything with respect to delivery to AZ.

Of course, they were properly interlined and arrived at FCO, but the lack of an entry for a interline hand-off (and the confusing entry of being delivered to a carousel at an intermediate transfer point) leaves a lot of breath holding!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Totally agree. Latest I have ever had a bag show up in IRROPS on delta was the next day while they were tracking it the whole way. I flew AA to Glasgow several yrs back my golf clubs made it to Scotland my suitcase however made it to Beijing Capital. AA couldnt locate it until 4 days later and had to fly it back through ORD back to Glasgow just in time to check it for my flight home.
That's worse than the time I flew FL BWI-ROC and drove to Buffalo, and my bag didn't show up until the next morning, and FL told me my choices were a) wait for the bag to be flown ROC-ATL-BUF and then couriered to me or b) drive to ROC and pick it up myself.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by abefroman329
That's worse than the time I flew FL BWI-ROC and drove to Buffalo, and my bag didn't show up until the next morning, and FL told me my choices were a) wait for the bag to be flown ROC-ATL-BUF and then couriered to me or b) drive to ROC and pick it up myself.
You're Abe Froman?

The sausage kiiiiing of Chicago?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Marty McFly
You're Abe Froman?

The sausage kiiiiing of Chicago?
Of course someone had to make the reference. lol
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happens if you have the previous flights tag in your luggage? Does the system ignore it?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
it should see that's its a dead itin (aka flown) and ignore it.

Or route it to wherever you were going.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Of course someone had to make the reference. lol
I think of it every time he posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.