Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Orders 75 CS100's

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by avcritic
It is a gift from RA to Boeing/EXIM/Washington State for selling heavily subsidized planes to ME3, which in-turn are used to dump capacity on US.

B787 program never going to make a profit, B737MAX never going to catch up with A32xNEO.

B777X program with 11 Billion subsidy (WS- $8 B + EXIM-$3 B) has 300+ orders. If 777X program goes belly up for any reason, guess who will be filing for Chapter 11.

If B787 with record sales cannot make a profit, how would one expect B777X to brake even and make profit.

IMHO Boeing made a strategic mistake by ignoring US Carriers.
So you can see into the future? Thats pretty cool. You should do something better with that though.
Originally Posted by Jeff767
The C100 order is not intended as a MD88 replacement. They were purchased to replace regional aircraft as Delta brings that flying back to the mainline. There are currently no planned MD88 retirements prior to 2020 however Delta has made it known that if the right deal appeared they could replace the 30 oldest airframes.
Delta is parking all 116 MD88s in the next 5 years.
Originally Posted by avcritic
777-9 is a VLA, use A380 order book as guide. 777-8 has very few orders.

With ME3 dumping capacity all over the world, most of the 65+ B777 customers downsized to B787 because they cannot fill bigger planes, hence limited interest in 777X.

With two(B787 & B777X) of three programs never going to make money, B737MAX's profit is essential for Boeing's survival.

DL's endorsement of C-Series is not going help that cause.
I mean you "could" do that, but I can also use the 737 order book as a guide because its about as apples to apples at the 380 to 777(any model)

Look at the worlds 77W fleet, large amount of that fleet is prime for 779 replacement.
Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
And one day later this is no longer true, add 37 more A321's and make it:

Airbus: 142 (3 aircraft types)
Boeing: 120 (1 aircraft type)
Bombardier: 75+50 options (1 aircraft type)
You are missing 18 787s on order for Boeing
Originally Posted by The Lev
I know we on FT tend to be a cyincal lot, but I'm blown away by the negativity of certain posters to this thread. Delta has a track record of picking up other people's detritus and you complain when they buy the most modern single aisle aircraft available today.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Delta and for the people who fly the airline.

From Delta's perspective
  • They get a new plane with CASM that is competitive with or lower than considerably larger aircraft - allowing much more operating flexibility
  • The long range capability of the CS100 allows them to open up routes between any two points in the continental US at much lower trip cost than a 737-700
  • Bombardier was desperate for this order, so Delta was able to pick them up at a very good price. Normally airlines have to trade-off up-front price for lower operating costs. In this case, Delta got the best of both worlds
  • Delta already operates the world's largest fleet of Bombardier aircraft through Delta Connection, so is very familiar with the supplier
  • They are ordering the CS100 (putting a downpayment on the cheapest model) but can upgrade to the larger CS300 - and presumably will be well positioned to buy a future CS500 when it is announced.
  • They can use the aircraft to differentiate themselves in the market for years to come since competitors won't be able to get delivery slots for several years (quiet, comfortable, "green").

From the passenger's perspective
  • Wider seats than any other narrow body (pitch will be up to Delta)
  • Modern AVOD at every seat
  • Ability to open up new long-thin routes across North America, meaning more non-stops
  • CASM that is competitive with much larger aircraft allows Delta to increase frequencies without increasing cost
  • 2-3 configuration in Y is better than 3-3 and often better than 2-2
  • Good storage bin capacity
  • Allows DL to use the CS100 to replace current larger regional jets and in turn use those to replace CRJ - in both cases offering the passenger a better flying experience
  • New engines are quieter than anything Delta currently flies

But no, some of you apparently want 1960's derivative 737's or MD80's or 1980's technology A320's instead of 2010 technology.

If I were a betteing man, I'd say that in 10 years the Delta mainline single aisle fleet will be CS100, CS300, CS500 and A321
I'll take that bet.

That won't happen. DL's fleet is way to big to go to basically a single OEM. It just isn't possible. BBD would pretty much have to make airplanes for just DL to even come close.

On top of that, because of TechOps, its better for DL to have multiple types vs going the simple route. MROs make more money when they can have a wide customer base. TechOps works because they leverage the economies of scale from the Delta fleet and pass it on to other airlines.
You can bet that Delta will have LEAP-X powered aircraft at some point too.

Delta will run a lot like LH group does. If you look across the group (not just LH) you see most modern aircraft are covered.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I don't keep up with this forum much, but I stumbled on this article today which describes a flight on the CS-100. Here's the link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bomba...00-ride-2016-6

It looks like it will be impossible for the airlines to shrink the seats, so I love it. And I've always thought they should make the middle seat just a little bit wider as compensation for being sandwiched in between two other people. I can't wait to fly on one of these.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Delta to base first CS100s in New York

FlightGlobal - July 13, 2017

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...w-york-439306/
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 24left
FlightGlobal - July 13, 2017

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...w-york-439306/
Well this is interesting. Seems like everyone here on FT assumed they where going to the west coast to replace the 717s out there.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It would be nice to get those CRJ-900s off MSY, TX routes, etc. CS100 is perfect for that role.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I'd like to see them on the shuttle flights to Boston & Chicago. Getting those routes out of the regional partners hands and into Delta mainline would be a great on-time % boost.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by live5
I'd like to see them on the shuttle flights to Boston & Chicago. Getting those routes out of the regional partners hands and into Delta mainline would be a great on-time % boost.
Waste of equipment if you ask me. Hopefully some of the returning 717s will go to those routes.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Waste of equipment if you ask me. Hopefully some of the returning 717s will go to those routes.
Agreed, too much range for those routes.

I was thinking they would first make an appearance in SEA to compete with AS in some smaller midwest markets. And then possibly CVG to bring service back to stations like SAN, PHX, and PDX. If Frontier can operate CVG-SAN then there is absolutely no reason DL shouldn't be able to with both local and connecting traffic.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just noticed that my post (# 78) is almost a year to the date after the last post in this thread.

Two noteworthy lines from the FlightGlobal link I posted:

"Hauenstein declines to comment on what markets the CS100 will serve or whether it will open new routes in 2018, when the first aircraft arrives."

"The CS100, which will be configured with 110 seats, will initially be used to "free up" 76-seat regional jets in Delta's feeder fleet that can in turn be used to replace 50-seat regional jets, says Hauenstein."
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting. Doubt they go to hubs like MSP or ATL. Wonder where they will go.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
interesting. Doubt they go to hubs like msp or atl. Wonder where they will go.
sea, lax, nyc, cvg.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
sea, lax, nyc, cvg.
I was thinking SLC more than CVG. It's basically hubs that have long, thin routes. The C-series has more range than the 717.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I was thinking SLC more than CVG. It's basically hubs that have long, thin routes. The C-series has more range than the 717.
CVG-LHR would be long and thin
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
CVG-LHR would be long and thin
And sadly 400 miles too long for the CS100.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Glad to see them coming to the East Coast. Hopefully means we'll see them at RDU and perhaps even a couple new thin routes out of RDU supported by the CS100 combined with same day turns to/from NYC.

Would also be the perfect plane for RDU - SLC which has struggled at times with a 757 and even the A320 (heck I got upgraded as an SPG Plat on SLC - RDU in the fall) but seems like the type of mission the CS100 is designed for assuming range works.

Assuming range works it would also be a decent option for RDU - LAX or RDU - SEA again in that longer, thinner category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.