Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Orders 75 CS100's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by avcritic
If these are used to replace regional routes, TDR and OTP wouldn't be an issue. Regional partners don't have impeccable record either.

Delta Tech Ops is very capable so they will figure out a way to keep the fleet afloat.

I guess Delta will order anything but Boeing.
Yeah like the 62 739s they have remaining on the order books? At one point, DL was planning on having 140 739s in their fleet but cancelled 40 of them due to the pilot contract rejection but later added 20 back on. The accounting department at DL loves these aircraft and their configuration but pretty much everyone else hates them. Its still possible DL wants another 20 to shuffle the fleet around, and indirectly replace the MD-88s. Those 45 A321 CEOs DL plans to have as of this moment will largely replace the MD-88s on those shorter routes on the East Coast.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So this is the big April 28-29 announcement? It seems like an anticlimax.
How so? The rumor was that Delta would announce orders for new aircraft. They did announce orders for new aircraft. Apart from wild speculation on other unrelated announcements, this seems to meet expectations...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ruckzac
How so? The rumor was that Delta would announce orders for new aircraft. They did announce orders for new aircraft. Apart from wild speculation on other unrelated announcements, this seems to meet expectations...
This is just part one of two days of announcements. There's a media event that starts this afternoon and Delta is bringing in quite a crew to just announce a CSeries order. Search Twitter for #DeltaMeetAndFleet. More to come. Patience.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I look forward to flying in a Delta-operated C Series jet.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:48 am

Not mentioned here is the range. CS100s have roughly double the range of the 717; which opens up long-thin possibilities for transcons
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's about 60 deliveries into two orders totaling 140 739ERs so I don't see a reason to pout.
Originally Posted by Longboater
Yeah like the 62 739s they have remaining on the order books? At one point, DL was planning on having 140 739s in their fleet but cancelled 40 of them due to the pilot contract rejection but later added 20 back on.
I should have made clear that my comment was about future orders.

If UA got 737NG for $22 Mill a pop, DL would have got even cheaper.

Still DL threw a lifeline to almost dead CSeries program, if (CS500) successful will nip Boeing's narrow body sales.

Boeing sings ME3 tune and brushes aside US3 concerns. DL buys non-American brand planes. Win-Win on the ego department.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So this is the big April 28-29 announcement? It seems like an anticlimax.
Well, there is tomorrow. Probably Airbus's day, for the expected A321 follow-on order.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
It's about 60 deliveries into two orders totaling 140 739ERs so I don't see a reason to pout.
They are 739s. Delta's cabin layout gives plenty of reason to pout.

Originally Posted by avcritic
If UA got 737NG for $22 Mill a pop, DL would have got even cheaper.
Delta operates only 10 of the -700s now, I'd guess they don't find the economics or placement in the capacity spectrum that good. So even if they got them at UAs bargain-basement price, there appear to be reasons DL doesn't want them.

Last edited by RaflW; Apr 28, 2016 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/AAIRPASS 2MM, UA 1K, SPG PLT
Wonder how this will impact AND/R's case against govt subsidies. DAL picked BBD, which receives non-trivial subsidies from the Canadian govt, over US-based Boeing. Economics of the deal are solid, but they can't have it both ways (although good for them for trying). I'm sure the Gulf Based carriers (and BA for that matter) should pounce all over AND/R on his way out.

Keep in mind, BBD has to take a charge due to the "onerous contract provisions." This deal succeeds in showing Boeing and Airbus that DAL is willing to go elsewhere (only possible bc TechOps is not fully unionized like other carriers) and makes Bombardier appear to be viable (with a big order). Whether or not this order actually materializes and these planes get delivered is secondary.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by RaflW
Delta operates only 10 of the -700s now, I'd guess they don't find the economics or placement in the capacity spectrum that good. So even if they got them at UAs bargain-basement price, there appear to be reasons DL doesn't want them.
The 73G is a niche aircraft for DL serving hot and high destinations in South America and short runways like EYW. DL doesn't need any more of them as they 57 A319s that can cover almost everything a 73G can do.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
Happy to see that they will come with standard IFE. Thats quite an customer experience upgrade from the current fleet of RJs, especially considering there are a decent number of RJ flights that push 3-4 hours.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by travelsensei
This deal succeeds in showing Boeing and Airbus that DAL is willing to go elsewhere (only possible bc TechOps is not fully unionized like other carriers) and makes Bombardier appear to be viable (with a big order).
Can you have a go at explaining how mechanics' unions at AA and UA make it impossible to buy BBD at those carriers?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RaflW
They are 739s. Delta's cabin layout gives plenty of reason to pout.
You won't find materially any more seat pitch on the A321s when they're in service. The whining will continue unabated. (The A321 seat map is up. Check for yourself.)

DL 739s are comparable in total seat count to 739s flown by AS and UA. People have to get over the fact that 'standard' coach seat pitch isn't going to be generous because not enough people will pay for it. Economy+/Comfort+/Main Cabin Extra/whatever AS is going to brand it all exist for the small fraction of travelers who will pay.

And back on point, DL is buying plenty of Boeings this decade. Helping to ensure the viability of a fourth commercial passenger aircraft manufacturer is good not just for Delta, but for suppliers and all carriers: price and tech competition is good.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by travelsensei
Wonder how this will impact AND/R's case against govt subsidies. DAL picked BBD, which receives non-trivial subsidies from the Canadian govt, over US-based Boeing. Economics of the deal are solid, but they can't have it both ways (although good for them for trying). I'm sure the Gulf Based carriers (and BA for that matter) should pounce all over AND/R on his way out.
Pounce on what? DAL isn't receiving subsidies and I'm sure BBD would have given a sweetheart deal to any carrier buying in bulk, including the ME3 or BA. That is quite a different set of circumstances compared to a carrier receiving subsidies. Maybe Boeing has a grievance, but I'm sure they will keep their mouth shut lest people start looking at the EX-IM financing again.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: 1 thousand
You won't find materially any more seat pitch on the A321s when they're in service. The whining will continue unabated. (The A321 seat map is up. Check for yourself.)
But the airbus has wider seats, feels more spacious, potentially more overhead space (not sure how the new bins compare to spacebins), and has humane toilet sizes. Plus there are repeated complaints about air quality on the 739s, although I'm not too sure how much to believe those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.