Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles mileage upgrade awards on Air France codeshares....EVER available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American

I fly frequently between the US and Africa on government fares (Y, from time to time), usually on Delta codeshares operated by Air France. It seems like there is zero upgrade inventory on any of these flights when attempting to do a mileage upgrade award. Is this the norm?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kahuna613
I fly frequently between the US and Africa on government fares (Y, from time to time), usually on Delta codeshares operated by Air France. It seems like there is zero upgrade inventory on any of these flights when attempting to do a mileage upgrade award. Is this the norm?
IIRC this requires O (low business class award inventory) class on AF, but since you have a Y fare, compare the DL rules for upgrades with miles to the SkyTeam upgrade award program. Make sure that you're following the rules about codeshares, ticket stock, etc. Also, the presence of the AF Premium Economy cabin might be an issue if only a one class upgrade is permitted.

For AF availability to DL, O class is rare but should sometimes be available. You need to keep calling, especially early (when are your tickets issued?) and late.

You might be able to upgrade AF flights at the airport. Ask.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC this requires O (low business class award inventory) class on AF, but since you have a Y fare, compare the DL rules for upgrades with miles to the SkyTeam upgrade award program. Make sure that you're following the rules about codeshares, ticket stock, etc. Also, the presence of the AF Premium Economy cabin might be an issue if only a one class upgrade is permitted.

For AF availability to DL, O class is rare but should sometimes be available. You need to keep calling, especially early (when are your tickets issued?) and late.

You might be able to upgrade AF flights at the airport. Ask.
After a frustrating amount of time wasted on the phone with Delta today, it has come to my attention that upgrades on Air France with skymiles are only possible on flights between the US and Paris. Paris to other parts of the world including Africa are not possible. Can anyone confirm this is true for Skyteam Y-fare upgrade program as well? I can find no mention of the Skyteam upgrade program on Delta's site anymore (other than to call Skymiles for more information).
Old May 3, 2016, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kahuna613
After a frustrating amount of time wasted on the phone with Delta today, it has come to my attention that upgrades on Air France with skymiles are only possible on flights between the US and Paris. Paris to other parts of the world including Africa are not possible.
That has been documented policy for some years.

As for the old SkyTeam Y-fare mileage upgrade plan, the Internet Archive finds this from late 2015. It doesn't speak to geographic exclusions for AF.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151009...grade-Program/
Old May 4, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Does Delta even participate in the Skyteam Y-fare upgrade program anymore? It has been removed from the Medallion benefits page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.